Mobile roaming at Port of Miami

yocrui5e

Just wondering if anyone tried mobile roaming with Fido (or any Canadian cell provider) while aboard the ship (but before sail away) at the Port of Miami? Would like to know by the end of day Friday.

If not, I will try and report my findings after :) 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, yocrui5e said:

Just wondering if anyone tried mobile roaming with Fido (or any Canadian cell provider) while aboard the ship (but before sail away) at the Port of Miami? Would like to know by the end of day Friday.

If not, I will try and report my findings after 🙂

You shouldn't have any problems using your carrier's roaming service (we use Bell), but if you are physically on the ship, make VERY sure you are connected to the land system and not to the ship's cell network. That would get very expensive very quickly.

• Haha 1

Not sure about Fido, but there are some occasional glitches on board when using the ships network hub, in some phones that enable text messages from home to get through ….and replies don’t. There’s nothing reliable with Canadian service (and sometimes US service) while on board in a US port.  Go higher up on the ship, or hang around in the Internet cafe on board for best chances.  Any of the full on cell and data plans have a daily rate ~ 12 and 14 $Canadian and shares with local providers if you’re in another country, Same in the US if you don’t have a a can/Us plan. On your device you can go to network and the list of what’s available, usually in the most favoured order eg ATT and Verizon show up first, not in the same order. If one doesn’t work, switch it to another.  In the USVI its US rates. Other Caribbean I look for Digicell. Always keep your phone on airplane mode as you leave port. And follow the instructions if you buy ship wifi packages, and disconnect when you’re done your session.

• Thanks 1

sorry off topic  a bit

We have just  gotten  a smart phone  (Samsung) 1.5 years  ago  & still cell phone challenged

When we get on the ship  I know to put it on airplane mode  do you turn data off  or does the airplane mode take care of that ?

As far as I can tell we just have Canada wide calling  so not sure about the USA ports   have to call our provider

Will use a laptop for onboard  emails etc..

PS  we are old

No issues roaming with Bell.  However, I have a 4 year old phone (Blackberry Key2) and I have issues making calls.  I get a message when I turn my phone on in the US when I land telling me that the cell network has been upgraded and some old phones using LTE network connections may not work.  Mine does not work.  I still receive data and SMS but no calls.  A little annoying especially if you planned on contacting someone.  Experienced this in Houston, Miami, Chicago and Cedar Rapids so far in the past year.  Looking to upgrade in May.  Bye Bye Blackberry.

Edited by Magicat
  • Thanks 1

We've had no issues at all with Rogers Rome Like Home while onboard in the Port of Miami. Same thing at Port Everglades. On average, the maximum usable range of a cell tower is about 40 kilometres, so on the couple of times that I've forgotten to turn on airplane mode right after sail away, I've remained connected for quite some time without it switching to the ship's system. Fortunately, I've remembered just in time to switch on airplane mode.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

sorry off topic  a bit

We have just  gotten  a smart phone  (Samsung) 1.5 years  ago  & still cell phone challenged

When we get on the ship  I know to put it on airplane mode  do you turn data off  or does the airplane mode take care of that ?

As far as I can tell we just have Canada wide calling  so not sure about the USA ports   have to call our provider

Will use a laptop for onboard  emails etc..

PS  we are old

Hi, 

When you turn airplane mode on, you turn phone calling, data and wi-fi off. However, you can turn wi-fi back on and still be on airplane mode (that means, wifi but no phone, no data). When you come back to Canada, then you can turn airplane mode off.

It's best not to use "roam like home" (i.e. turning airplane mode OFF during a cruise) unless you are confident you know what you're doing. 

It's also good to check that airplane mode is ON before you do anything on a cruise! 

I hope that helps @LHT28!

===

Thanks again to everybody here too for the insights! I figured that Port of Miami is quite far away from the main city of Miami, so cell service on port would be spotty. Best bet would be moving to upper decks. I checked Fido's "Roam-like-Home" and it's an affordable C$10 a day for US roaming. Turning airplane mode back ON before sail away could be a nice rule of thumb :)

Edited by yocrui5e
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, yocrui5e said:

Hi, 

When you turn airplane mode on, you turn phone calling, data and wi-fi off. However, you can turn wi-fi back on and still be on airplane mode (that means, wifi but no phone, no data). When you come back to Canada, then you can turn airplane mode off.

It's best not to use "roam like home" (i.e. turning airplane mode OFF during a cruise) unless you are confident you know what you're doing. 

It's also good to check that airplane mode is ON before you do anything on a cruise! 

I hope that helps @LHT28!

===

Thanks

DH was thinking he could use the cell for wifi on the ship  but maybe best just  to turn the phone OFF

not sure about  shore side  may give it try at the first USA port

but  AFAIK or I could fine  there is no "Roam like home" deal with our provider even though they use Rogers network

I see a lot of people  at POM using their cell phones  at the dock

So it is not that isolated 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yocrui5e said:

I figured that Port of Miami is quite far away from the main city of Miami, so cell service on port would be spotty.

Dodge Island, on which the cruise terminals are located, is sandwiched between downtown Miami, Miami Beach and Fisher Island, with no shortage of cell towers. Service is far from spotty, so whatever approach you take, you'll have good reception aboard as long as you don't head to the bowels of the ship.

I generally make my uber booking and check in with my airline once we approach Fisher Island. I've never had an issue connecting with one of the cell towers.

• Like 2

It seems to be working well - $12 for "roam like home" today ain't bad considering NCL's "free at sea" gives about only 20 minutes a day of wifi in 2023 😁 

Well, off to enjoy the Joy!

20230401_173314.jpg