Why is nickel and diming a bad thing?

TheycallmeDrew

I keep seeing posts about how Norwegian nickels and dimes everything and why don't they roll it into the price? At the same time people complain about being charged for things they don't use. You can't have it both ways! 

I myself prefer to have all the costs separate so I get to choose what I want to pay for. When I go solo I get the drink package. When I am with my wife who isn't a big drinker we pay as we go. Rolling the extras would cost me a lot more when travelling with my wife.

I find it also allows me to shop around more as I can compare cruise per cruise, itinerary by itinerary and look at adding extras later.

I wish all lines did it and brought the actual cruise fare down.

What do you all think?

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, shof515 said:

the nickel and diming comes from things that used to be free/included with your cruise fare to now being an extra cost at a price that always increases 

In some cases yes but beverage packages were never included and there have been several complaints lately about why they aren't just rolled into the total price.

My personal choice(and why Norwegian was my preferred choice until recently) was get me on the boat with basic fare and meals for as cheap as possible and let me easily add what I wanted to spend my money on. Want all you can drink get the beverage package, want to sit in spa add spa package, guaranteed deck seating get a vibe pass. All these things cost and rolling it into the price would make it cost prohibitive for my friends to join me who are on a budget and don't want to drink, are happy to eat at buffet and like to sit in a crowded pool on main deck meeting people.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, TheycallmeDrew said:

I keep seeing posts about how Norwegian nickels and dimes everything and why don't they roll it into the price? At the same time people complain about being charged for things they don't use. You can't have it both ways! 

I myself prefer to have all the costs separate so I get to choose what I want to pay for. When I go solo I get the drink package. When I am with my wife who isn't a big drinker we pay as we go. Rolling the extras would cost me a lot more when travelling with my wife.

I find it also allows me to shop around more as I can compare cruise per cruise, itinerary by itinerary and look at adding extras later.

I wish all lines did it and brought the actual cruise fare down.

What do you all think?

"Nickel & Diming" is nothing more than a label that is used to demean something easily instead of having to justify one's position. It can also be used to blame-shift...much easier to say the cruise line is "nickel & diming" than it is to have to deal with the fact that a wanted purchase doesn't fit in our budget.

6 minutes ago, shof515 said:

the nickel and diming comes from things that used to be free/included with your cruise fare to now being an extra cost at a price that always increases 

Like what? A few examples would provide some context.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, TheycallmeDrew said:

In some cases yes but beverage packages were never included and there have been several complaints lately about why they aren't just rolled into the total price.

My personal choice(and why Norwegian was my preferred choice until recently) was get me on the boat with basic fare and meals for as cheap as possible and let me easily add what I wanted to spend my money on. Want all you can drink get the beverage package, want to sit in spa add spa package, guaranteed deck seating get a vibe pass. All these things cost and rolling it into the price would make it cost prohibitive for my friends to join me who are on a budget and don't want to drink, are happy to eat at buffet and like to sit in a crowded pool on main deck meeting people.

I 100% agree. 

• Like 2

if you dont want to be nickel and dimed, dont buy  the nickel and dime stuff.

i think, what i get when i book a cruise/cabin with ncl,is reasonable for the price i'm paying.  no more/no less

if i think something  falls under the nickel/dime category, and i dont feel it's necessary, i dont buy it. 

only product  that annoys be for paying extra is a "can" of soda. im addicted to cola (prefer pepsi, but those ncl days are gone, so im stuck with coke) for $3.00 per can.

in all my posts, i seem to write like an ncl cheerleader. that's not totally correct, but for 13 years of cruising with them, and 24 cruises, (I dont know, maybe i'm just lucky, or have low expectations) i have found very little to complain about (other than soggy hamburger buns)

the only actual disappointment we ever really had was the inaugural southeast asia cruise from hong kong to singapore. When we got on the ship we were advised that there were mechanical problems and we couldnt get to some ports.  Taipei, hanoi and cambodia. As a vet, i wanted to see hanoi. In exchange for the missed ports, ncl offered the following: full refund, but we were already in hong kong and booked into a hotel in singapore 2 weeks later, so that wasnt an option, or, a refund of 1/2 the price of the cruise we were on, and 1/2 off any future cruise.

we were in a suite with my wife and grandson, and my sister in law and her husband were in the adjoining suite, so to accept this offer was a no brainer.

say what  you will about nickel and dimes, ncl (imho) really stepped up to the plate to fix this one.

2 minutes ago, complawyer said:

only product  that annoys be for paying extra is a "can" of soda. im addicted to cola (prefer pepsi, but those ncl days are gone, so im stuck with coke) for $3.00 per can.

I'm not even that annoyed by the $3 or more per can (prefer Pepsi also) - it's the 20% gratuity on top to just hand it to me!

If anybody from NCL is reading this....I do wish they'd include the soda package as a FAS perk.  Or have a special if you buy a 6-pack.  Even better, let me bring what I want onboard....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, complawyer said:

if you dont want to be nickel and dimed, dont buy  the nickel and dime stuff.

i think, what i get when i book a cruise/cabin with ncl,is reasonable for the price i'm paying.  no more/no less

if i think something  falls under the nickel/dime category, and i dont feel it's necessary, i dont buy it. 

in all my posts, i seem to write like an ncl cheerleader. that's not totally correct, but for 13 years of cruising with them, and 24 cruises, (I dont know, maybe i'm just lucky, or have low expectations) i have found very little to complain about (other than soggy hamburger buns)

the only actual disappointment we ever really had was the inaugural southeast asia cruise from hong kong to singapore. When we got on the ship we were advised that there were mechanical problems and we couldnt get to some ports.  Taipei, hanoi and cambodia. As a vet, i wanted to see hanoi. In exchange for the missed ports, ncl offered the following: full refund, but we were already in hong kong and booked into a hotel in singapore 2 weeks later, so that wasnt an option, or, a refund of 1/2 the price of the cruise we were on, and 1/2 off any future cruise.

we were in a suite with my wife and grandson, and my sister in law and her husband were in the adjoining suite, so to accept this offer was a no brainer.

say what  you will about nickel and dimes, ncl (imho) really stepped up to the plate to fix this one.

OMG I was on that cruise! We knew about the issue ahead of time only because of cruise critic and that communication was a big failure on NCL's part. We chose to go knowing what they were offering but I felt bad for those who found out when they went to get on ship. At the same time I felt less bad for those who got on ship and then proceeded to complain and make the staff (who had nothing to do with it) and other passengers around them's life a living hell for the trip. My wife was disappointed with not going to Cambodia but we took the money that was being refunded bought spa passes, I got 3 massages, we went to dinner and made the best of it. Oh and booked our discounted next cruise while on board!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, julig22 said:

.I do wish they'd include the soda package as a FAS perk

We always have the Beverage package removed and then just add the soda package. Cheaper than the open bar FAS

Edited by valleyvillage
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, julig22 said:

I'm not even that annoyed by the $3 or more per can (prefer Pepsi also) - it's the 20% gratuity on top to just hand it to me!

If anybody from NCL is reading this....I do wish they'd include the soda package as a FAS perk.  Or have a special if you buy a 6-pack.  Even better, let me bring what I want onboard....

Yeah, I would like this option too. It doesn't really matter that much to me, but if they are offering the full beverage package FAS it seems reasonable to offer the soda package as an alternative.

• Like 2

well, as previously stated, i am a vietnam vet, and one of the ports was cu chi, where i was stationed with the 25th infantry division. i wanted to take my wife and grandson to see where "papa" was 50 years before. for obvious reasons, i wanted to see hanoi. so no need to feel bad, the ports we did get to visit were amazing. i got to ride an elephant in Bancock. wow, that was great, 

all things being equal, i really couldnt complain. i also used the credit to book a 10 day cruise on a 2 bedroom suite on the epic the following year, hamburg to hamburg. again we took our grandson and a friend of his. they had a great time.

by the way, the 50% reduction in fare took the price of a forward penthouse suite for 3 people down to less than $4,000

julig22. by the way, if you just want a glass of soda (or pop, depending on what part of the country you are from) it's free. 

i just prefer the can.

also, if we book a suite, i can usually sweet talk the butler into bringing a few cans of soda to the cabin and leave them in the fridge. of course a $20 handshake doesnt hurt either (LOL)

18 minutes ago, valleyvillage said:

We always have the Beverage package removed and then just add the soda package. Cheaper than the open bar FAS

Yes I know that I can add the soda package.  I don't drink, so always cancel the beverage package.  But with the FAS you only pay the gratuity.  That's the difference.

15 minutes ago, complawyer said:

julig22. by the way, if you just want a glass of soda (or pop, depending on what part of the country you are from) it's free. 

i just prefer the can.

also, if we book a suite, i can usually sweet talk the butler into bringing a few cans of soda to the cabin and leave them in the fridge. of course a $20 handshake doesnt hurt either (LOL)

Not free since I don't have the beverage package. And sure, I could order a few cans at a time from their delivery - but still paying the cost + gratuity.

Years ago I booked a cruise with the Free at Sea (or whatever it was called at that point) with the drink package for the first 2 guests in the cabin. It was free, no gratuities to pay for. This cruise was my DH and I, our daughter and grandson. We moved the two people most likely to drink to the first two on the reservation and the other 2 were not required to purchase any type of beverage package.

Since the gratuity is now charged, I have to do the math. I am a beer drinker and you can drink quite a few beers for the cost of gratuities. Add to that the cruise rate is higher to begin with than the entry level, low end fares. The specialty dining has been reduced to 2 days, the $50 excursion credit does little for someone not generally taking shore excursions - and I've looked some of them up and can buy for about $50 less per person. I do find the internet good for someone just wanting to check emails occasionally. With what a cruise costs I find the free at sea charges reasonable for what you are actually getting and it sure makes things simpler. Just wish this included the daily service charges. Those are getting totally out of control - and in my opinion should be included in the cruise cost.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vswan said:

Just wish this included the daily service charges. Those are getting totally out of control - and in my opinion should be included in the cruise cost.

Pretty sure the rationale behind DSC is somehow related to taxes.  So, if that's true, including them would cost you more than what you pay now.

I can never understand why so many are offended and melt by the phrase "nickel and dime."  The issue is distorted when someone says its a choice to buy items or services vs not buying them.  That is a very weak analogy.

As others pointed out it comes from things that once were included that now have upcharges and even more charges.  Why do people rally around the concept that its wrong to say that?   NCL is not the only cruise line that does it and its done all over the vacation world.  For example many Hilton resorts charge for parking.  Yes, parking at their hotel is charged.  No parking attendant, no garage, no cover parking. Just driving on the wide open parking lot gets you a charge.  Many of us remember when all ship entertainment was included.  NCL broke that mold with the Epic and started charging for entertainment.  It got worse with Getaway when they were charging for a magic show.  Magic shows are free on the most basic discount cruise lines.  This is how they make their money and are very profitable.  Nothing wrong with that.  There is also nothing wrong to point out if you are bombarded with options to upgrade your embarkation, meals, entertainment, etc.  We all got a laugh several years ago when NCL was charging service fees on a restaurant cover charge that supposedly included gratuities in the cover charge let alone your daily auto gratuities.  There are always new clever ways to raise revenue.   Yes you  are free to not take any of the bait and upcharge your experience.  Yes you are also free to comment on it.    You gotta hand it to Virgin.  They took all those complaints from customers and your cruise fare covers everything. No upcharge for anything and no gratuities either.  The entire ship is free to be what you want to do and eat and drink without extra fees. 

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, SeaShark said:

"Nickel & Diming" is nothing more than a label that is used to demean something easily instead of having to justify one's position. It can also be used to blame-shift...much easier to say the cruise line is "nickel & diming" than it is to have to deal with the fact that a wanted purchase doesn't fit in our budget.

Like what? A few examples would provide some context.

Well for one "room service" use to be free. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, vswan said:

Just wish this included the daily service charges. Those are getting totally out of control - and in my opinion should be included in the cruise cost.

How much more in fare would you want to pay to include DSC in the cruise cost?

Just now, RocketMan275 said:

How much more in fare would you want to pay to include DSC in the cruise cost?

If the DSC is $20 per person, per day that would be an extra $140 added to the cost of a 7 day cruise. Since I am required to pay if it, it should be part of the original fare rather than added at the end. I guess some people do reduce or take off, but if this pays wages for workers, I think it should be included in the first place.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

We need something to be upset about! How could we go a day or two without complaining?!?! Sheesh....though I do wonder why I need to pay extra for...gosh, I'm not thinking of anything. 

Yep.  I think some have lost perspective, so this thread may be a nice recalibration point.  I've always been a LBYM type person.  Our first cruises were in the dark ages when inside steerage got nothing.  The only free booze was at the art auction and, after one cruise, the Latitudes welcome party.  It forced me to learn some things.  For our third cruise, I was amazed to learn that I could get one thing for free (specialty dining or booze pkg) even with steerage accommodations.  Sweet! 😎 Now, they toss booze, dining and a few bucks worth of SHOREX and wifi to us 🐀's down in steerage.  What is there for a 🐀to complain about?  I can even find free cheese if I look hard enough.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, vswan said:

If the DSC is $20 per person, per day that would be an extra $140 added to the cost of a 7 day cruise. Since I am required to pay if it, it should be part of the original fare rather than added at the end. I guess some people do reduce or take off, but if this pays wages for workers, I think it should be included in the first place.

Wouldn't that just be like exactly the same thing only different? 🤣

• Like 1

We don't feel we are nickel and dimed. We buy exactly what we need, we don't take the drinking package because we are not big drinkers and when we do drink we buy exactly what we need. We buy on board credit, we use our money wisely there's nothing NCL can do to get us out of our budget. We have never had a bad cruise, yes, some better than others, but for us being away from home, having our meals cooked, enjoying the ship and excursions is all that we need, is better than being at home. IMO. We have only cruise NCL and some people feel we are limiting ourselves, nope, they have the cruises we like, and as long as they do we will continue to cruise with them. FYI in all the years cruising with them we do see some things have changed and not for the better. C'est la vie. Is our money and we use it how we want to.

Edited by spanishguy1970
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yep.  I think some have lost perspective, so this thread may be a nice recalibration point.  I've always been a LBYM type person.  Our first cruises were in the dark ages when inside steerage got nothing.  The only free booze was at the art auction and, after one cruise, the Latitudes welcome party.  It forced me to learn some things.  For our third cruise, I was amazed to learn that I could get one thing for free (specialty dining or booze pkg) even with steerage accommodations.  Sweet! 😎 Now, they toss booze, dining and a few bucks worth of SHOREX and wifi to us 🐀's down in steerage.  What is there for a 🐀to complain about?  I can even find free cheese if I look hard enough.

LOL now you are talking. For once i agree with you. Hell just froze over.

• Haha 1