Carnival’s Next Class of Ship

slavens_09

Which angle are we playing today?

Mega ships are too big, don't feel like a cruise, and the smaller ships offer a more relaxing experience

or

We need more mega ships, no one wants to sail a non-brand new ship, Icon of the Seas for all

The port strategy is certainly an interesting one. To be the only one in a market certainly drives a certain business. I also think the Venezia strategy is intriguing as well. 

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Which angle are we playing today?

Mega ships are too big, don't feel like a cruise, and the smaller ships offer a more relaxing experience

or

We need more mega ships, no one wants to sail a non-brand new ship, Icon of the Seas for all

The port strategy is certainly an interesting one. To be the only one in a market certainly drives a certain business. I also think the Venezia strategy is intriguing as well. 

Me thinks the issue is one line is EXCLUSIVELY going mega ships at great speed and there are drawbacks to that.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Me thinks the issue is one line is EXCLUSIVELY going mega ships at great speed and there are drawbacks to that.  

I guess how "mega" is your definition of mega? Over 200k tons? Sure I agree. Because by other definitions (say anything bigger than Conquest class) all the mainstream lines are all-in on mega ships.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I think eventually Carnival and RCCL will be largely distinct product offerings.  The allure of the MEGA from a cruiseline perspective is efficiency. I've joked on this page that if RCCL could pull out of Miami, go to CocoCay, and then hang a few miles off the coast for a week that they would.  Many will be interested in that product.  Others not at all.

10 minutes ago, jsglow said:

I think eventually Carnival and RCCL will be largely distinct product offerings.  The allure of the MEGA from a cruiseline perspective is efficiency. I've joked on this page that if RCCL could pull out of Miami, go to CocoCay, and then hang a few miles off the coast for a week that they would.  Many will be interested in that product.  Others not at all.

Why couldn't they do that? As long as they visit a foreign port during the voyage then it's fine right?

7 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Why couldn't they do that? As long as they visit a foreign port during the voyage then it's fine right?

They absolutely could. I guess I worded my post poorly now that I re-read.  More like 'if they felt they could entice enough pax'.

Edited by jsglow

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

That's what they did on Freedom on the 3 and 4 day cruises when the ships first started sailing again

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

I guess how "mega" is your definition of mega? Over 200k tons? Sure I agree. Because by other definitions (say anything bigger than Conquest class) all the mainstream lines are all-in on mega ships.

Hell, there were people on the HAL forums that were ranting about the 'mega ship' size of the HAL vistas and Signatures when those first came out. 

FWIW, those are the same size as a Spirit class.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

Fair point on how big mega is.  

14 minutes ago, UPNYGuy said:

Hell, there were people on the HAL forums that were ranting about the 'mega ship' size of the HAL vistas and Signatures when those first came out. 

FWIW, those are the same size as a Spirit class.

Perfect example of how CCL does a good job of differentiating their product.  And of course there are complainers everywhere, all the time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jsglow said:

It is an interesting conundrum.  As somebody else posted, the allure (pun intended) of the mega liner from the cruise line perspective is cost per passenger.  We sailed Elation and Mardi Gras close together.  The experience is as expected different from a large degree, notice I did not say better or worse.

4 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

It is an interesting conundrum.  As somebody else posted, the allure (pun intended) of the mega liner from the cruise line perspective is cost per passenger.  We sailed Elation and Mardi Gras close together.  The experience is as expected different from a large degree, notice I did not say better or worse.

Have you ever done really small @jimbo5544?  We love it and need to do it more. Star Pride for example is 300 pax and 12,000 tons... and that's after they made her bigger.  We sailed her before the conversion. Spectacular, and not hoity toity at all.

2 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Have you ever done really small @jimbo5544?  We love it and need to do it more. Star Pride for example is 300 pax and 12,000 tons... and that's after they made her bigger.  We sailed her before the conversion. Spectacular, and not hoity toity at all.

Smallest we have ever done was Azamara, and LOVED it (600 Guests)

3 hours ago, jsglow said:

RCL focus certainly seems to be making the ship the destination. As long as they give away enough alcohol they could hold the passengers hostage anywhere forever and open up the malls.

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

RCL focus certainly seems to be making the ship the destination. As long as they give away enough alcohol they could hold the passengers hostage anywhere forever and open up the malls.

I honestly think their mega ships are doing more good for their competitors now. People see these ads for the Icon of the sea and go to book it. They recoil a the price. (2600 inside cabin for two)then they find MSC, Carnival or Norwegian for half the price but not half the ship. That higher per berth cost is going to hurt them in the long run.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Squirreladd said:

I honestly think their mega ships are doing more good for their competitors now. People see these ads for the Icon of the sea and go to book it. They recoil a the price. (2600 inside cabin for two)then they find MSC, Carnival or Norwegian for half the price but not half the ship. That higher per berth cost is going to hurt them in the long run.

As it is, there is too much for a person to do in a week on Carnival's "mega ships", Mardi Gras and Celebration. Half a ship is plenty.

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

As it is, there is too much for a person to do in a week on Carnival's "mega ships", Mardi Gras and Celebration. Half a ship is plenty.

I guess you'd really be in trouble on an Oasis class ship. You'd probably need 1/3 of the ship and that  would probably be plenty.

7 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

where can I sign up for that? 🍻 🥂🍹