How good is La Dame?

phil1107

We were on the Moon last summer and thought it was very average.  No way is it the best restaurant at sea.  TK on Seabourn is much better and that venue is free.  

To be honest, you can pretty much get everything on the menu at La Dame in Atlantide.  If its not on the menu, you can always special order.  Of course we had obc and had to try it...I wish I'd spent the credit on a couple of T-shirts now.

Edited by texanaust
  • Like 2

I have some issues with La Dame:

- overpriced at $60 per person. As previously noted, some menu items also available for free at Atlantide.

- the menu never changes- it was the same on our recent cruise in March as it was last August.

- Menu selection is too small - perhaps to discourage pax from booking too often.

My advice is to try it once just to make your own judgement. 

Agree ... disappointing.

I was surprised that given the marketing description, the tables were so uncomfortably close to each other. This especially so when the number of customers is purposley imited, so really, IMHO, the number of tables (furniture wise) could be reduced leaving a less 'cramped atmosphere.

Last time I ate there I thought the food was average ... certainly not worth the upcharge.

We've stopped going to La Dame even to use OBC for the reasons in the posts above. In fact, in every comment card since the re-start we have asked them to return to the format in place when we first started sailing Silversea (2007). The upcharge was higher - about  120 per person- but it was a real wine pairing dinner with premium wines. There were several (maybe 5) different menus that rotated throughout the cruise, each based on premium wines  and paired foods from a particular wine region. We went at least once per cruise. We learned quickly to only go on nights we could sleep in the next day as it was a lovely, leisurely, wine soaked dinner!

La Dame on the Spirit was one of the best meals we had on any ship. The food, the service, the atmosphere were outstanding.

We had OBC, so I cannot say if the $60 is worth it, but on our next cruise we will definitely do it again even if we don't have OBC. 

It's very enjoyable. Sometimes we go. Sometimes we don't. We'll go again on our next cruise; already made the reservation (request).

But only you can decide if it was worth it to you. Food is subjective; what's "worth it" to me may not be "worth it" to you. Make a reservation if you want to try it. Then look at the menu once you're on board and try it if it sounds good. Otherwise cancel.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

You will see that there are as many opinions as there are people that have eaten there. It all depends on your expectations. From my experience the food is only very slightly more incredible than elsewhere on the ship, perhaps presented with a little more flourish. As people have said previously, most of the dishes are available in other venues at various times. It is more about the experience and the Service. Dining there does feel like an occasion and the Service we have found to be excellent, as you find in most places onboard but is certainly a little elevated. So as long as you don't expect miracles to be done with the same ingredients that they have elsewhere on the ship and don't mind paying what is (let's be honest here) about 1/3 of what you would pay ashore for a similar experience youll enjoy it. 

• Like 2

We did La Dame on Moon about 10 days ago. Underwhelmed. Ordered Dover sole and told it was a “house specialty.”  We had the exact same thing prepared the exact same way that tasted just as good at Atlantide 2 nights later. Soup and dessert courses were literally not memorable - as in I can’t remember what they were. 

The wine pairing menu costs $10-25 more pp per course, though you can apparently get included wine pairings. I think they might have more options for caviar than other venues, but since we’re not caviar fans, can’t say for sure.  More personalized service. However, our server forgot our one request — side order of white asparagus — and left bones in the fish.

If it were free, we might try it again.  But in our opinion, not worth the extra $$ unless there is something on the menu you really want and that Atlantide can’t provide.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had dinner on Silversea Spirit in January, it was good-not great but better than the other restaurants on the ship.  Unfortunately the night we were at dinner they had two large parties,

which made it a little unpleasant.  The suite we take includes one dinner at La Dame.  

We’ll do it again on the next cruise “Nova”, if it’s better than just good, will do it again on the cruise.

On 4/1/2023 at 11:02 PM, Daveywavey70 said:

You will see that there are as many opinions as there are people that have eaten there. It all depends on your expectations. From my experience the food is only very slightly more incredible than elsewhere on the ship, perhaps presented with a little more flourish. As people have said previously, most of the dishes are available in other venues at various times. It is more about the experience and the Service. Dining there does feel like an occasion and the Service we have found to be excellent, as you find in most places onboard but is certainly a little elevated. So as long as you don't expect miracles to be done with the same ingredients that they have elsewhere on the ship and don't mind paying what is (let's be honest here) about 1/3 of what you would pay ashore for a similar experience youll enjoy it. 

If your calculation that La Dame costs 1/3 less than similar quality meals in restaurants ashore, that would amount to $180 per person. I know some fabulous landside restaurants where I can dine for less than that, and get better quality. Not to diminish La Dame, but it would never earn a Michelin star and it doesn’t compare to those restaurants that have them.

• Like 1

We dined at La Dame twice on our recent TA and  enjoyed it. It was worth $60/pp for us, but only you can decide if the value is there for you.

For us it was worth the upcharge for a more intimate venue with elevated service, but we don’t really like Atlantide, or main dining rooms in general. I realize we are in the minority on that opinion. We are willing to pay to be in a more intimate, quiet setting with better service. 
If you are happy with the food and atmosphere in Atlantide it may not make sense for you to pay the upcharge.

5 hours ago, commodoredave said:

If your calculation that La Dame costs 1/3 less than similar quality meals in restaurants ashore, that would amount to $180 per person. I know some fabulous landside restaurants where I can dine for less than that, and get better quality. Not to diminish La Dame, but it would never earn a Michelin star and it doesn’t compare to those restaurants that have them.

Like I said we all have opinions. I'm not sure where you would find a Restaurant on land where you could enjoy a 6/7 course meal, unlimited Champagne, wine, Cognac etc for $60 a head though.

6 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Like I said we all have opinions. I'm not sure where you would find a Restaurant on land where you could enjoy a 6/7 course meal, unlimited Champagne, wine, Cognac etc for $60 a head though.

Agree.

If you go to a good steakhouse in Toronto, only the steak would be around $60 USD when you account for tax and tip.

As other mentioned, I would try it at least once and the decide. The only opinion that matters is yours.

9 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Asda might have a £10 for two meal deal in the cafe? The booze might not be unlimited but there might be a limit as to how much you wanted to drink 😁 Remember the old Monty Pyton sketch about Australian wines ...😵💫

25 minutes ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Asda might have a £10 for two meal deal in the cafe? The booze might not be unlimited but there might be a limit as to how much you wanted to drink 😁 Remember the old Monty Pyton sketch about Australian wines ...😵💫

Oh yes, I'm not sure you'd want to many glasses of the fine Australian fighting wine though.

• Haha 1

It is definitely a "Try it for Yourself" experience.  

Some people enjoy it and think it is worthwhile.  Others don't.  Don't take anyone else's word for it.

I say give it a go, and decide yourself.