Hawaii cruise question from LA on Emerald

rcprncss

I would love to know from people who have cruised to Hawaii from LA if there is a better side of the ship to book.  Port or Starboard?  I have never thought about this before but this will be my first cruise this long with so many sea days on Princess.  And first cruise to Hawaii.  The cruise is in June, if that matters.  Any tips would be appreciated.  Thank you.  (I also posted this same question on the Hawaii board.)

Edited by rcprncss

• rcprncss changed the title to Hawaii cruise question from LA on Emerald
1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

Considering for most of the cruise you will be in the middle of the ocean, I can't imagine it making a difference.

On half of your sea days your balcony will get afternoon sun.  On half of your sea days your balcony will get afternoon shade.

I have seen recommendations that being on the starboard side provides an nice island view as you are cruising into Hilo.  Hilo is usually (not always) the first island stop after four sea days and arrival is well well after sunrise and there is plenty of light.  I can report that from our starboard side cabin on our first Los Angeles-Hawaii cruise I did spot a very pretty rainbow as we approached the Hilo berth. On the other hand, cruising out of Hilo provides those on the port side with a nice island view.

Some may want a view of Diamond Head while docked in Honolulu.  The problem is that there are two cruise ship berths in Honolulu.  On one of them, the one next to Aloha Tower, the ships always dock with the bow towards the city.  On the other one, the ships always dock with the bow facing the sea.  So, Diamond Head will be on the starboard side of one of them and on the port side of the other one.

You're going to have a great cruise @rcprncss.  I am envious.  Bon Voyage.

• Like 1

We had a starboard side cabin on our Hawaiian cruise with Princess.  Because the ship was avoiding weather we arrived in Hilo earlier that scheduled and at night.  In the morning I stepped out onto our balcony and was surprised to see a snow capped mountain.  It was Mauna Kea (13,803 Elev.) in the distance and it was a beautiful and unexpected sight.  My picture doesn’t do it justice.

image.thumb.jpeg.6e2c9e966fc8e6e6aab8894709cdfd71.jpeg

With the zoom lens on my camera I was able to see the observatory on top of the mountain.

IMG_0664_1.thumb.jpg.7f95c0aa24759cf430e5e62160fa006d.jpg

• Like 2

I agree with the previous comments.  We have been on at least 10 Hawaii cruises and will be on the Emerald's July 6th sailing. 

Outbound you are going west and on the return you will be going east. We have been on both sides of the ship and have not had a preference.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

On half of your sea days your balcony will get afternoon sun.  On half of your sea days your balcony will get afternoon shade.

I have seen recommendations that being on the starboard side provides an nice island view as you are cruising into Hilo.  Hilo is usually (not always) the first island stop after four sea days and arrival is well well after sunrise and there is plenty of light.  I can report that from our starboard side cabin on our first Los Angeles-Hawaii cruise I did spot a very pretty rainbow as we approached the Hilo berth. On the other hand, cruising out of Hilo provides those on the port side with a nice island view.

Some may want a view of Diamond Head while docked in Honolulu.  The problem is that there are two cruise ship berths in Honolulu.  On one of them, the one next to Aloha Tower, the ships always dock with the bow towards the city.  On the other one, the ships always dock with the bow facing the sea.  So, Diamond Head will be on the starboard side of one of them and on the port side of the other one.

You're going to have a great cruise @rcprncss.  I am envious.  Bon Voyage.

Thank you.  This is the kind of information I was looking for.  🙂 

15 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

We had a starboard side cabin on our Hawaiian cruise with Princess.  Because the ship was avoiding weather we arrived in Hilo earlier that scheduled and at night.  In the morning I stepped out onto our balcony and was surprised to see a snow capped mountain.  It was Mauna Kea (13,803 Elev.) in the distance and it was a beautiful and unexpected sight.  My picture doesn’t do it justice.

image.thumb.jpeg.6e2c9e966fc8e6e6aab8894709cdfd71.jpeg

With the zoom lens on my camera I was able to see the observatory on top of the mountain.

IMG_0664_1.thumb.jpg.7f95c0aa24759cf430e5e62160fa006d.jpg

Wow!  What a nice view to wake up to.  Thank you.  This is the kind of info I was looking for.  🙂 

Consider the direction of the ship. From LA to Hawaii the ship will sail southwest, and northeast on the return. In June the sun will be basically directly overhead. Bring lots of sun screen. Outbound port side will receive the morning sun with starboard receiving the afternoon/evening sun. The reverse will occur on the return. Views while docked were not very important to us. If my memory is correct while docked in Honolulu there are views from both sides. Lahaina is a tender port. Direction is based on the winds and tides. Nawiliwili, I think the ship docks facing out which means the port side faces the island. Don't remember regarding Hilo.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

I agree with the previous comments.  We have been on at least 10 Hawaii cruises and will be on the Emerald's July 6th sailing. 

Outbound you are going west and on the return you will be going east. We have been on both sides of the ship and have not had a preference.

Thank you so much.  You are a very experienced Hawaiin cruiser!  🙂I looked at your sailing and the cabins I were interested in were sold out.  Have a great cruise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skynight said:

Consider the direction of the ship. From LA to Hawaii the ship will sail southwest, and northeast on the return. In June the sun will be basically directly overhead. Bring lots of sun screen. Outbound port side will receive the morning sun with starboard receiving the afternoon/evening sun. The reverse will occur on the return. Views while docked were not very important to us. If my memory is correct while docked in Honolulu there are views from both sides. Lahaina is a tender port. Direction is based on the winds and tides. Nawiliwili, I think the ship docks facing out which means the port side faces the island. Don't remember regarding Hilo.  

That is great.  Thank you for your response.  🙂

my first our TA recommended starboard, the next I think we were port & & the most recent I booked one of each...I think you get a better sail in to HIlo from the starboard, but into Kauai which is a twisty entry port is nice, but most of the time as people have said it is this which is gorgeous from both sides (these were port)

2023-03-0607_38_38.thumb.jpg.bff72c5be75c187688dba5f7db80ae22.jpg

2023-03-0408_17_06.thumb.jpg.a313e02d4451ca45cd4f548e3649c356.jpg

2023-03-0317_05_06.thumb.jpg.af1750f6f0425fd490df7a20b0cd85ae.jpg

2023-03-0606_38_53.thumb.jpg.daa783d797631d9bcfcb99cc6a0db9e3.jpg

• Like 1

Honolulu - bow pointed toward city. Diamond Head / starboard side

Nawiliwili - bow points to ocean. Port side dock. Get up early to watch remarkable S turn in harbor. 

Lahaina - anchored.  Walk the deck to see Lana’i, Moloka’i, and whales,,,Jan-March. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Honolulu - bow pointed toward city. Diamond Head / starboard side

Nawiliwili - bow points to ocean. Port side dock. Get up early to watch remarkable S turn in harbor. 

Lahaina - anchored.  Walk the deck to see Lana’i, Moloka’i, and whales,,,Jan-March. 

Agree with Honolulu and Nawiliwili but Lahaina in January had whales galore off the port side while anchored.    

• Like 1

Mrs OS loves the sun and also likes to watch sunsets, so I tend to try to maximize the number of sunsets we can see from our balcony. in the cases where it's 50/50, I will likely pick the side with sunsets at the end of the cruise.

On our recent Hawaii cruise, when we docked in Ensenada, the port side was toward the dock. It was probably the sunniest day of the entire cruise and, since we didn't get off the ship there, she had sun on the balcony most of the time there.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

Agree with Honolulu and Nawiliwili but Lahaina in January had whales galore off the port side while anchored.    

Correct:  Whales (usually juveniles) start arriving as early as late September.  Peak is Jan, Feb, March.  Most leave in early April with moms and calves staying behind a few weeks.

The ocean is actually a ledge that connects Maui, Moloka’i, and Lana’i.  It is shallow and warm.  But there is absolutely no food to feed on while vacationing in Hawaii (not like a cruise ship).

• Like 3