Silversea is NOT making a good, first impression

number one eagles fan

So, I’m beginning to question my decision to sail on Silversea. Hubby and I booked our first Silversea cruise for the end of October. We booked a classic veranda cabin and I see today the deluxe veranda cabin is being sold, under a new promotion, at the same amount I paid for the classic cabin…. a $6,000.00 savings for those who book that category. Even though I’ve only put a deposit on this cruise, Silversea’s policy does not allow for cancellation and rebooking or any type of compensation. That is not making a good, first impression on me. I can understand no compensation or rebooking after final payment, but they only have my deposit.

I am very sad about this. This is a “splurge” vacation for us.

I do not know what cruise or ship you are booked on. But I trust you know that the classic veranda suites are identical in every respect (except location on the ship) to the deluxe verandas suites.  I cannot imagine why there would be as much difference as $6000. Are the offers identical? Are we inclusions the same (such as business class air, economy air, etc.)?

• Like 1

I’m with Observer, Number One Eagles Fan. Don’t understand your post.

You may file a request utilizing SS’s fare guarantee policy.  SS has great latitude in how they honor the policy, but in our case they honored our suggestion and applied the difference as a credit directly to a future booking. Super easy.

• Like 1

If OP says they don't allow cancellation and rebooking, I'm wondering if he took a P2P fare?  Otherwise the small cancellation fee that turns into a Future Cruise Credit is not a big deal...

• Like 2

OK, new question.  What id you’ve booked your cruise-and not only a few suites have gone down in price (not worried about that, because our suite wouldn’t apply) but they also through a $1000.00 SBC to book now per suite)We’re not at final payment yet.  Send an e-mail to are TA, ee what happens.

What do you think, will it happen or not?

• Like 1

In case you don't know where to look, this is the fare guarantee program:

(you can find it under 'fares and savings' on https://www.silversea.com/travel-informations/faq.html )

"Silver Privilege Fares: book early for the best fares and availability; Silver Privilege Fares are structured to reward guests who book early with the best possible fare and the privilege of being able to select their desired suite when the best inventory is available. All Silver Privilege Fares shown are cruise-only per guest, based on double-occupancy in a Vista Suite (Adventure Class for Silver Explorer). Availability of all suite categories cannot be guaranteed. Fares for single guests are available upon request. Additional restrictions may apply

Fare Guarantee Programme: Silversea’s Fare Guarantee Programme provides guests with the peace of mind in knowing that when they plan ahead and book early, not only will they be able to reserve their desired suite, but they can also benefit from any future reduction in the Silver Privilege Fares for their voyage, upon request. All voyages are eligible.

If I book now and the fare is further reduced, will I get the discount?

This is reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Contact Silversea or your Travel Agent."

They won't offer it but if you ask, you ought to be able to get a revised price for your cabin if prices have gone down - get your TA to ask. I recently noticed that one of my future cruises was reduced so my TA asked and I got a $3K reduction in fare.

PS If you booked a D2D fare and the reduced fare you are seeing is for a P2P fare, then no, you won't get a price reduction. Different T&Cs for different types of fare.

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Original Poster appears to be referring to the "Suite Upgrade" promotion launched yesterday.  The promotion applies to Vista through Deluxe Veranda suites (not all ships have all types of suites, so this is generally speaking; the full details are under the Terms and Conditions).  For example, if you book a Deluxe, they will charge you the Classic rate.  In addition, they will give you $500 per person OBC, maximum of $1000 per suite.

This is available on about 130 voyages, including one I was considering.  What I noticed, however, is that SS raised the prices of the veranda suites so that for example a Classic veranda is about $800 higher than it was last week (on the cruise I was looking at).  Netting everything out, it is still a savings, however.  I calculated that I can get the Superior veranda I was looking at for about $500 net less than it was.  Plus, I get the $500 OBC per person.  This is a savings of $1000 over what I would have paid on a booking last week.  This is combinable with VS savings and Onboard booking savings.  I agree that it makes a difference whether OP bought D2D or P2P, since this only applies to D2D fares.

OP appears to have booked before the promotion, and but the promotion terms say "Cancel and re-books do not qualify."  The issue is, doesn't this conflict with the Silver Guaranty Fare terms?  I would definitely raise this with my TA or Cruise Consultant.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dawntrdr said:

Original Poster appears to be referring to the "Suite Upgrade" promotion launched yesterday.  The promotion applies to Vista through Deluxe Veranda suites (not all ships have all types of suites, so this is generally speaking; the full details are under the Terms and Conditions).  For example, if you book a Deluxe, they will charge you the Classic rate.  In addition, they will give you $500 per person OBC, maximum of $1000 per suite.

This is available on about 130 voyages, including one I was considering.  What I noticed, however, is that SS raised the prices of the veranda suites so that for example a Classic veranda is about $800 higher than it was last week (on the cruise I was looking at).  Netting everything out, it is still a savings, however.  I calculated that I can get the Superior veranda I was looking at for about $500 net less than it was.  Plus, I get the $500 OBC per person.  This is a savings of $1000 over what I would have paid on a booking last week.  This is combinable with VS savings and Onboard booking savings.  I agree that it makes a difference whether OP bought D2D or P2P, since this only applies to D2D fares.

OP appears to have booked before the promotion, and but the promotion terms say "Cancel and re-books do not qualify."  The issue is, doesn't this conflict with the Silver Guaranty Fare terms?  I would definitely raise this with my TA or Cruise Consultant.

Exactly! This is a lengthy expedition cruise to Antarctica and it is the "Suite Upgrade" offer that is offering a discount to the Deluxe cabin that now equals what I paid for the Classic cabin. And yes....a $6,000.00 difference. If the Deluxe cabin had originally been offered to me at the Classic cabin rate I would have certainly booked that. I understand that the interior of the cabins are similar but the cabin locations vary on the ship...which is very important in the rough seas around Anarctica.

I'm happy to report, however, that my TA is working on it. Fingers crossed. 

I'll keep you posted!

Up till now i would recomend SilverSea 

Currently on Muse due to leave on 12th April at MIDNIGHT  from Osaka back to LHR via Dubaii 

Silversea booked the flights not the passengers     yet they are to leave the ship by 8.45 am be dumped at Osaka Airport at midday after a short tour of Osaka Castle ...or can be in hospitality suite at Hyatt Osaka and get transfered to Osaka Airport at ?  

Even in Business no one can check in before 8pm having left the ship at 8.45 am 

And theres zero facilities at Osaka Airport 

There is something missing here and SilverSeas organised it all 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, number one eagles fan said:

My mistake...I should have been comparing the Classic veranda to Superior Veranda...not Deluxe veranda. But still....a  $6000.00 dollar difference ...per couple, not individually.

Hopefully your TA can persuade them to upgrade you to Superior Veranda since it is now the same price. 

Edited by Dolcevita Diva
  • Like 1