Anyone done "Swim with the Pigs" at Great Stirrup Cay?

Suite Heart

• Suite Heart changed the title to Anyone done "Swim with the Pigs" at Great Stirrup Cay?

in some cases, you can stay on board the ship and still "swim with the pigs"  sorry, i just couldnt resist.

we've been swimming with dolphins in costa maya, with stingrays in grand cayman, but with pigs.. i think not

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This sounds a bit like goat yoga. Pictures look great and sounds like they are fun and adorable. And they are, but it was really just yoga in a room where the goats were constantly peeing and pooping. 

• Like 1

For what it’s worth, the Bahama Humane Society has been working to regulate these activities for years because there are so many issues and complaints. Many of the pigs have bitten people, and they also poop all

over.  In my opinion this is a giant tourist trap and not worth it.

• Like 2

On 4/4/2023 at 2:13 AM, Suite Heart said:

Looking for info on how it was/is. I'm considering this ShorEx. Pros and cons are welcome.

Thanks! 🐷

Lots of information on Shore Excursions and other off-ship experiences can be found on the Cruise Critic forums covering these activities.

Try: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/308-private-islands/

The comedian on our cruise had a set about that excursion, and it made it sound like it was a rip-off. While my wife and I enjoy zoos and aquariums, we avoid excursions that involve swimming with dolphins, sting rays, pigs, or attractions that extort animals. These are not natural behaviors for the animals, and I question how they are cared for.  

On 4/5/2023 at 11:14 AM, Mlake09 said:

For what it’s worth, the Bahama Humane Society has been working to regulate these activities for years because there are so many issues and complaints.

Interesting.  On a related note, last fall we took the horse drawn tour in Canada (I forget which port).  Had a great discussion with the young lady in charge.  Those horses are dearly loved and have a very easy life.  She shared that their ability to pull a wagon was about ten times what they were actually doing.  In other words, they were just out for a fun run around town.  A mild exercise.  She also shared that they had been protested at times for the "cruel" treatment of their horses.  You can't make this crap up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

You can't make this crap up.

that's because you don't have to.

the cruelty to horses used in the carriage trade - whether intentional or accidental - is well documented in the USA and canada and around the world.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, UKstages said:

that's because you don't have to.

the cruelty to horses used in the carriage trade - whether intentional or accidental - is well documented in the USA and canada and around the world.

Well it certainly wasn't in the case I outlined.  Have you taken that Shorex?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Well it certainly wasn't in the case I outlined. 

how would you know? from what the "young lady in charge" told you?

in brief: the horse drawn carriage tours are generally unregulated, which poses the risk of serious injury not just to the horses, but to drivers, customers and passers-by. accidents have happened;  both horses and passengers (including children) have been hurt or killed. the horses are subject to extreme temperatures and long work hours, as well as being forced to traverse hard paved streets, often treated with harsh chemicals, which affect the horses' hooves. they battle vehicular traffic, as well as construction sites. they are exposed to loud noises and exhaust fumes for 12 hours or longer each day.  they are often deprived of appropriate food and water. at night, they are often tethered so tightly to their stalls that they can't lie down. there is often no pasture; there is often no paddock. just hard paved streets and 1000 pound loads for many hours a day without suitable breaks.

34 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Have you taken that Shorex?

no. why? has one gone missing?

i have taken a horse drawn carriage ride, yes indeed. many years ago. i live in new york city, which has had a long tradition of carriage horses for tourists, until new laws were passed strictly regulating the businesses.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, UKstages said:

how would you know? from what the "young lady in charge" told you?

in brief: the horse drawn carriage tours are generally unregulated, which poses the risk of serious injury not just to the horses, but to drivers, customers and passers-by. accidents have happened;  both horses and passengers (including children) have been hurt or killed. the horses are subject to extreme temperatures and long work hours, as well as being forced to traverse hard paved streets, often treated with harsh chemicals, which affect the horses' hooves. they battle vehicular traffic, as well as construction sites. they are exposed to loud noises and exhaust fumes for 12 hours or longer each day.  they are often deprived of appropriate food and water. at night, they are often tethered so tightly to their stalls that they can't lie down. there is often no pasture; there is often no paddock. just hard paved streets and 1000 pound loads for many hours a day without suitable breaks.

It's because I was there and you weren't.  Here you go:

image.thumb.png.fff185721f395d2034f27bedc36246d5.png

If you look closely you can actually see the horses smiling!  😀  It was a happy time in a happy world where the horses didn't have to endure any of the horrors of NYC.  😎

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Like 1