• Promenade/Central Park Balcony
    • Ocean View Balcony
    • Junior Suite
    • Grand Suite
    • Ocean View Suite
    • Owners Suite
    • Villa Suite
    • Royal Suite

I did interiors for my first three cruises and then switched it up for an ocean view on my first solo cruise. I loved the window over the bed, and am booked in a similar cabin on my next Royal cruise.

My girlfriend and I are taking a Holland America cruise in August (her first cruise) and she wanted a balcony, so I'm giving that a try.

Prior to this year, we've always sailed in at least an OV balcony or Junior Suite. A few grand suites and a Crown Loft for hubby's retirement cruise. Now that he's retired and income is reduced we made the choice to sail in insides to take 3 cruises a year instead of 1 in a balcony or suite. I thought I would hate it but have been pleasantly surprised on the 2 I've done so far. I enjoy breakfast on the balcony, watching the ship come in or leave port, and having a glass of wine in the evening... but I'd rather cruise more so interior it is, with the occasional Royal Up if the minimum bids are low.

• Like 1

I typically book an oceanview balcony even though i spend very little time on it.

I want the natural light and i like to step outside to see how hot it is.

I was of the impression that it cooled down at night ... na .  🙂

Might want to had these as well

SLS (star loft suite)

CLS (crown loft suite)

RLS (Royal loft suite)

UFS (Ultimate family suite)

AQUA THEATER

PANORAMIC SUITE

without these in the POLL, you exclude all OASIS & QUANTUM class ships

Basically all listed are for the Freedom class and smaller 

Edited by PompeySailor
  • Like 1

• Usually insides.
  • If price for balcony is similar or lower (happened on several occasions) we do book them. Especially if I know that I might need to work and have videoconferencing . Usually we only step on balcony 2-3 times per cruise for a short time... so not much sense in booking them.
  • We did have OV several times, but it does not make any sense to us and we prefer cabins located higher than promenades where OV are rare.

We cruise 5 times per year with 3 of them 9-14 days.

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

I sail in the closet. Occasionally we will do OV. I would rather sail 2-3 times a year than have a balcony + and sail once. I do miss sailing in the handicapped rooms with my mom. I got spoiled. 

But i am also one of those who is out all day and only in the room for naps and sleep. 

Ideally, 2 connecting balcony rooms when with our kids.  However, we have a price point and sometimes we are in 2 connecting promenades or we have connecting virtual balcony rooms for our next cruise. Having said that...we seem to be going "downhill" with our staterooms since prices are going up.  So on Icon for example, we are 4 of us in an Interior Central Park room (for much more than we've ever paid).  It really depends on the price for that ship and date.

Edited by LuCruise

- Never an inside (that’s like vacationing in a broom closet)

- Oceanview at a minimum

- Balcony most frequently 

- Suite for a special occasion  

Next four cruises I have booked are deluxe balcony, ocean view, suite, boardwalk balcony. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rubyfisch said:

I did interiors for my first three cruises and then switched it up for an ocean view on my first solo cruise. I loved the window over the bed, and am booked in a similar cabin on my next Royal cruise.

My girlfriend and I are taking a Holland America cruise in August (her first cruise) and she wanted a balcony, so I'm giving that a try.

I actually hate the window over the bed since you can not stand and look out.

I prefer a sofa by the window if possible.  If not then I move the bed and sleep in twin.

First several were inside.  When COVID hit, I switched to Studio balcony (2F).  Much prefer a lounger on my balcony to the drama on the pool deck.  (and no chair hog problems!).  I take room service breakfast on the balcony.  I bring a hammock, and sleep on the balcony.  Next two cruises are also in 2F balconies.  

• Like 1

For many years we have sailed in the JS (tub/shower combo being the reason). Last few years since retirement we now sail in (depending on RCI ship) the GS and more than likely the OS and have gotten some really good prices on them. 

We actually spend time in our cabin (done with the nightlife onboard) and so having it be more like a hotel room works best for us now.

• Like 4

We started out on Royal in GS but moved to JS when they changed the deposit and they became harder to book on the ships we were on.  So, we had to book 18 months out for a GS and we usually went on longer cruises which meant RCI had $1800 of our money on each cruise.  We now do only JS and book a year out and try to book onboard for the lower deposit.

3 minutes ago, GetToLivin said:

OH yeah? So do I, but *multiple times* per year.

I cruise this way multiple times a month.  What can I say, I’m rich.  But I have to save for new floors so this could change.  😂😂.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

We have done inside, promenade, Boardwalk balcony, hump balcony, aft balcony, Oceanview and junior suite. Depends on price really. We are trying some "new to us" cabins coming up, a panoramic Oceanview on Liberty and a Central Park view on Oasis. 

We are now cruising three to four times per year, so it's all about what fits in the budget. And if the price is right, I will try a Royal up bid. 

Would rather cruise more times than in a more expensive cabin.

• Like 2