Choice for Alaska Cruise...Royal Caribbean(Quantum), Norwegian (Encore), Princess (Royal)

hernonmom4

Booking a somewhat last minute Alaska Cruise for the last week of June. The week in non-negotiable. We are  2 couples who have both cruised but not together. DH and I have been loyal to Royal Caribbean (10 or more) with one Carnival aberration  (we did not enjoy) and one NCL (which was ok). We know how Royal works and love the Pub with live guitar player every night. We are looking to go in and out of Seattle with a day or 2 on the front or back to see Seattle. Any strong opinions on which ship? The itinerary's are similar with the Quantum just not doing Glacier Bay where the other 2 do. Also each ship is only offering balcony cabins that are run of the house (they pick it for you), probably due to it being so close to sailing. So we will most likely end up with an obstructed view no matter which ship we choose. Price wise they are all in the same range. Also open to another recommendation for a 7 day R/T Seattle. Thank you all, after years of stalking I know I will get some good advice.

• Like 1

Cannot comment on RC but if you are going to Alaska , Glacier Bay is so important.  It is absolutely stunning to see.

We have sailed on both the Epic and the Royal.  Had good cruises on both but would pick  Royal over Epic.  (our personal preference).

Alaska is all about the scenery and wildlife.  I would suggest the balcony .  If you are getting a guarantee you probably cannot pick between starboard and port side. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, hernonmom4 said:

Booking a somewhat last minute Alaska Cruise for the last week of June. The week in non-negotiable. We are  2 couples who have both cruised but not together. DH and I have been loyal to Royal Caribbean (10 or more) with one Carnival aberration  (we did not enjoy) and one NCL (which was ok). We know how Royal works and love the Pub with live guitar player every night. We are looking to go in and out of Seattle with a day or 2 on the front or back to see Seattle. Any strong opinions on which ship? The itinerary's are similar with the Quantum just not doing Glacier Bay where the other 2 do. Also each ship is only offering balcony cabins that are run of the house (they pick it for you), probably due to it being so close to sailing. So we will most likely end up with an obstructed view no matter which ship we choose. Price wise they are all in the same range. Also open to another recommendation for a 7 day R/T Seattle. Thank you all, after years of stalking I know I will get some good advice.

sorry hernonmom4

I misread your posting.  I thought you were talking about the Royal Ship from Princess.  My mistake.

However my statement about Glacier Bay still stands. Don't  miss it.

• Like 2

When you do get ready to book, I'd advise you to call and book with a NCL agent or a travel agent. I would be very surprised you wouldn't be able to select your balcony room by using this method. NCL, for some ungodly reason, decides to pull the ability to select rooms, even when you are still able. Since it is close, and there have been Alaska coupons, it is possible it's all guarantee rooms, but I'm doubtful. 

You just have to actually call and discuss this/find a travel agent that has access to NCL's booking system. 

Good luck and enjoy your cruise, no matter which line you sail!

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, awinte2 said:

sorry hernonmom4

I misread your posting.  I thought you were talking about the Royal Ship from Princess.  My mistake.

However my statement about Glacier Bay still stands. Don't  miss it.

It is a little confusing, I am leaning toward Princess cruise line the ship is called "Royal" but always cruised Royal Caribbean in the past. But the Odyssey does not go to Glacier Bay.

Whatever itinerary goes to Glacier Bay. 

Alaska is mostly about itinerary. We sailed on Holland America specifically because we wanted something from Seattle that visited Glacier Bay. So glad that we did because those images are seared in my mind. There are not enough photos or YouTube videos that can describe what you’ll experience.  

I’d go with the Royal Princess. Great ship and great cruise line, and with the right itinerary. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 2

Traditionally, Princess has the reputation of being the best to Alaska. My experience on Grand Princess did not disappoint, and the Royal Princess is a much nicer/newer ship.  If you can score a day pass to The Sanctuary on Glacier Bay Day, you’ll love it. We paid for it for the duration just to be sure, but that gets pricey. 

As you’ve been advised above, Glacier Bay makes the trip.  

If the Encore and Quantum are your choices for Royal and NCL, I'd agree that Princess is the one to take.  The Princess ship can go to some places the others might not be able to, plus I hear that Princess would get priority in places if they're going to be congested.

4 hours ago, hernonmom4 said:

I would pick the Encore because of the itinerary and the ship. Also the open bar!!!

We sailed to Alaska on the Quantum in 2022 and the Encore in 2021 (and the Joy in 2019 and Bliss in 2018). The last time we went to Alaska on Princess was on the Sapphire Princess.

The Encore has no obstructed view rooms. The Encore was purpose built for Alaska with a dramatic observation lounge that takes up 1/3 of a deck with floor to ceiling windows, heaters over outdoor dining areas (and we have enjoyed many meals dining outside and enjoying the Alaskan scenery), and heated pools and water features. It also goes to Glacier Bay which is a high priority. 

As a point of reference, when we went to book our annual Alaska cruise this year, we selected the Encore with Glacier Bay (and will be sailing after you). 

Here's our live post from the Quantum last year

And a live post from the Encore in 2021 (this was a bit different because it was NCL's first post-pandemic cruise). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Princess - for Glacier Bay and that Princess Cruises was one of the first into Alaska so they usually get priority.  We have only used Princess once, specifically for Alaska and the itinerary.  Have been on NCL and Royal Caribbean cruises and Princess seemed to be slightly more traditional cruising.  If cruising Princess I would recommend booking the Ultimate Balcony Dining package as soon as you book your cruise.  A gourmet meal for just your party on your balcony.  Sitting on our aft balcony while being wined and dined cruising through the Inside Passage was one of the highlights of our Alaska trip.

Edited by 14ersco

Princess used to do an off boat excursion while viewing the glaciers. You would transfer to a smaller boat [maybe 50-75 people] that proceeded the cruise ship in and were able to get up close and personal to the glaciers and animals. It is by far the best Alaska excursion we ever did [in four cruises, on three different lines!]. If that is still available, I would pick Princess. 

Glacier Bay v Tracy Arm - we actually like Tracy Arm better. Either way, the views will be stunning! 

On 4/5/2023 at 2:27 PM, hallux said:

I hear that Princess would get priority in places if they're going to be congested.

On 4/5/2023 at 10:00 PM, 14ersco said:

Princess Cruises was one of the first into Alaska so they usually get priority.

What is this "priority" that you folks are talking about?

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

What is this "priority" that you folks are talking about?

I'm not an expert but I've read other people state that the number of ships that are allowed to visit some of the glaciers is limited by permit, and some people on cruisecritic forums have stated on the boards that HAL and Princess have priority to the glacier permits because the were the first cruise lines to visit those glaciers (I don't know if that's true, but can state that Princess did a wonderful job in Alaska on our cruise).

My primary concern with booking a cruise to Alaska, Europe or the Panama Canal is that NCL has been changing the itineraries after final payment and dropping important ports.  The Inside Passage has been dropped on the Spirit for Alaska this season, and on a Panama Canal cruise they dropped Costa Rica and Nicaragua for safety reasons and replaced them with Aculpolco and Jamaica, and cut the overnight stay in Panama down to a night visit with no tours available.  The are making these changes after final payment and not letting people reschedule or cancel, and on my last cruise they continued to market the original itinerary for a month without warning people it changed, and wouldn't let the people who booked after the ports were dropped to cancel either.

I'd be very cautious about booking any cruise that's all about itinerary on NCL at this point, and would recommend you only consider it if the price is so low you won't be disappointed if you lose something like the Inside passage.  In my experience on RC, HAL, Princess, Cunard and Carnival the cruise lines are more alike then different, so there's no reason to take the risk of losing your itinerary on NCL if you care about itinerary (there were people on my cruise who were just happy to be out of the cold in NY, and didn't care about the cancelled ports.  People who don't care about itinerary are in good shape with NCL)

Edited by kitkat343

1 hour ago, mapleleaves said:

When you say the itineraries are similar, be mindful of the port times.  You want to be in port long enough and at the right time of day for any planned activities.

Definitely this -- checking time in port is very important when choosing between cruises.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

I'm not an expert but I've read other people state that the number of ships that are allowed to visit some of the glaciers is limited by permit, and some people on cruisecritic forums have stated on the boards that HAL and Princess have priority to the glacier permits because the were the first cruise lines to visit those glaciers (I don't know if that's true, but can state that Princess did a wonderful job in Alaska on our cruise).

My primary concern with booking a cruise to Alaska, Europe or the Panama Canal is that NCL has been changing the itineraries after final payment and dropping important ports.  The Inside Passage has been dropped on the Spirit for Alaska this season, and on a Panama Canal cruise they dropped Costa Rica and Nicaragua for safety reasons and replaced them with Aculpolco and Jamaica, and cut the overnight stay in Panama down to a night visit with no tours available.  The are making these changes after final payment and not letting people reschedule or cancel, and on my last cruise they continued to market the original itinerary for a month without warning people it changed, and wouldn't let the people who booked after the ports were dropped to cancel either.

I'd be very cautious about booking any cruise that's all about itinerary on NCL at this point, and would recommend you only consider it if the price is so low you won't be disappointed if you lose something like the Inside passage.  In my experience on RC, HAL, Princess, Cunard and Carnival the cruise lines are more alike then different, so there's no reason to take the risk of losing your itinerary on NCL if you care about itinerary (there were people on my cruise who were just happy to be out of the cold in NY, and didn't care about the cancelled ports.  People who don't care about itinerary are in good shape with NCL)

And this seems to be the 4th or 5th time you have posted this on various CC threads.

And it has been explained to you why many of those changes have taken place.   

And they are not the only cruise line that does this occasionally. 

Seems like you have a vendetta going.

• Like 3

On 4/5/2023 at 1:36 PM, cruiseny4life said:

When you do get ready to book, I'd advise you to call and book with a NCL agent or a travel agent. I would be very surprised you wouldn't be able to select your balcony room by using this method. NCL, for some ungodly reason, decides to pull the ability to select rooms, even when you are still able. Since it is close, and there have been Alaska coupons, it is possible it's all guarantee rooms, but I'm doubtful. 

You just have to actually call and discuss this/find a travel agent that has access to NCL's booking system. 

Good luck and enjoy your cruise, no matter which line you sail!

I totally agree and why NCL is doing this I’ve no idea. 
I went to book an Alaskan cruise on the Jewel and nothing but guarantees, no thanks so being as I was cruising the following week on Dawn I waited and booked on board. He was able to get me deck and section of ship I wanted. This is a very annoying new aspect of booking on line.

Before the rah rah cheerleaders bring out their pitchforks, you know the ones, I did click on the link to select a different cabin and it just brought me to guaranteed cabin

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

When you say the itineraries are similar, be mindful of the port times.  You want to be in port long enough and at the right time of day for any planned activities.

Agree and as far as NCL the smaller ships seem to have longer port times.

• Thanks 1

If you choose NCL, make sure you fully understand dock location. It is my understanding that NCL often times uses docks that may be located far away from the actual ports that they visit. Also, look at port times to understand how much time you will have ashore. We would choose Princess for an Alaska cruise over NCL, RCL and Carnival.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fastpitchdad said:

With NCL dock locations and port times, I have a really hard time recommending them for Alaska even though I am pretty loyal to them as a cruise line. 

Dock locations are pretty irrelevant if you are doing an excursion (NCL or private). A lot of complaining about nothing. And Alaska is one place where you want to do excursions and not just walk around tacky gift shops and drink beer in Senior Frogs. 

Port times are pretty similar. Recently, we sailed on NCL in 2021, Royal in 2022, and will sail NCL in 2023. The times are similar. One way cruises may get better times. 

We normally sail R/T Seattle because flying from/to Anchorage is a pain from where we live and usually costs us another day of vacation. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Dock locations are pretty irrelevant if you are doing an excursion (NCL or private). A lot of complaining about nothing. And Alaska is one place where you want to do excursions and not just walk around tacky gift shops and drink beer in Senior Frogs. 

Port times are pretty similar. Recently, we sailed on NCL in 2021, Royal in 2022, and will sail NCL in 2023. The times are similar. One way cruises may get better times. 

We normally sail R/T Seattle because flying from/to Anchorage is a pain from where we live and usually costs us another day of vacation. 

I disagree, in fact excursions can make the port locations even worse. For example, Ketchikan is a charming town to explore but being at Ward Cove can make that impossible with an excursion. 

Edited by fastpitchdad

I would pick Princess.  We had a nice time on the Encore to Alaska last year but the amount of time in each port was greatly lacking and the NCL dock at Ward Cove (Ketchikan) is horrible and far away from town.

Also, we felt the ship did not offer much to do. You will not be spending anytime hanging out outside at the pool/ hot tubs or loungers so the entertainment inside is important and there was not much happening. 

Edited by disneylover89