Water bottles

Fortunate2

Hello again.  We're joining the Silver Moon on 28April and wondering about water on excursions.   Last Spring we were given disposable .5 liter plastic bottles and am wondering if that's changed to reusable or should we bring our own.

Thanks for the update.

1 hour ago, Fortunate2 said:

Hello again.  We're joining the Silver Moon on 28April and wondering about water on excursions

When we were on Silver Muse in Feb we were able to pick up disposable plastic bottles of water at the gangway

We never saw any reusable water bottles available (unlike the ones they have in your suite on Regent)

Some tours had water available but I wouldn’t rely on that happening 

Memory tells me I have always seen disposable plastic bottles at the gangway. And I agree, some tours may have bottled water on board the bus/van, etc .but that is not always a given.

We have always brought along flexible plastic water containers (by Platypus, made in US), contain .5 liter when full, with snug screw top.  When empty, they lay flat (take no space), you can roll up and put in pocket.  Enough water for an outing, and nothing goes in the landfill, or the ocean!  Have used for years, and have never had a leak.  Worth looking for, likely sold in REI or similar outdoor/camping/outfitting stores.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Stormingsal said:

We sailed on Silver Nova on Feb 24 and metal water bottles were waiting in our suite for us - no more plastic bottles 😃

Is it up to passenger to wash bottles? I read somewhere staff would do this - but who knows the previous "imbiber?🤢

5 hours ago, Stormingsal said:

The bottles are brand new and yours to keep. 

I asked an officer with whom I chanced to be dining how they cleaned the bottles for reuse if the pax chose not to keep them. 
He said they throw them away. 

I was so shocked that I didn’t follow up to find out if it was true, I kinda didn’t want to know.

If it’s true, what a waste, one wonders how much this is better than plastic bottles. 

• Like 2

On the Muse now for 2 legs. First leg - Tokyo to Seward - disposable plastic bottles were available for excursions. Second leg- Seward to Vancouver-  they delivered the reusable bottles we had previously gotten on the Nova to the suite and no disposable water bottles were at the gangway. The problem is that the Nova reusable bottles are heavy, much heavier than reusable bottles we have at home. As on the Nova, we kept/bought lighter disposable bottles to re-fill for hikes, walking tours, etc. If Silversea had warned us in advance, we could have brought light reusable bottles from home. Guess they will have to be on the packing list from now on! 

But if you, like me, have plenty reusable bottles at home and don't need or want to take the SS provided ones with you - how do you feel about them being thrown away after you disembark?

If that is what happens.

Perhaps you could ask? Maybe it's different on the Muse.

Surely, surely SS could find a way to wash them? They manage to clean all the cutlery, coffee pots, milk jugs, cooking pots, glass water bottles, wine decanters etc. etc.

Isn't this the point of having reusable bottles?

• Like 2