Oosterdam - Deck 8 cabins

travelbug1

We are considering a Signature Suite on the Oosterdam - deck 8 mid ship a few cabins from the elevators.  Wondering if we will encounter noise from Deck 9?  If anyone has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated!

We were in a SS on deck 8 under the Lido. Early in the morning, I could hear carts rolling as they stocked the buffet.  Once I realized what was causing the noise I was able to go back to sleep. I wasn’t bothered by noise at any other time during the day.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, travelbug1 said:

We are considering a Signature Suite on the Oosterdam - deck 8 mid ship a few cabins from the elevators.  Wondering if we will encounter noise from Deck 9?  If anyone has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated!

We sailed on deck eight and noticed no noise from deck 9. We were in a forward veranda 8030 or something like that...we really loved the ship.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just got off the Oosterdam a few months ago and cannot really recommend it at this time.  The entire crew seemed to be a work in progress resulting in noticeable service gaps.  Everything from making passengers stand outside in the cold and blowing wind for over 45 minutes before even starting their life-jacket/lifeboat spiel to consistently waiting over an hour for food in the main restaurant to totally running out of turkey on Thanksgiving to taking 3 shots at clearing a hairplug in our shower each time telling me it was now fixed (it never was). 

Maybe they'll get their act together sometime, but, right now I wouldn't pay good money to do that again.

My TA cruise in a Signature Suite on Oosterdam in November 2022 was extraordinary.  I have never had better service.  I found the ship in good repair.  The guest speaker and cooking shows provided interesting day time activities during sea days.  We had fixed dining and our food was good and arrived in a timely fashion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, annandme said:

Just got off the Oosterdam a few months ago.............

....making passengers stand outside in the cold and blowing wind for over 45 minutes before even starting their life-jacket/lifeboat spiel

Really, last 2 cruises on Oosterdam in past 20 months and there was no 'lifeboat spiel' as it was all done by watching the video on stateroom TV and just visiting the lifeboat station to check in with the attending crew member?

• Like 6

@annandme I should have added the life boats drill to my previous post.  In February & November 2022 and February 2023 on three different HAL ships, we walked down to our station, spoke briefly ( less than a minute) to the person manning the station, had our key cards scanned and returned to our room to watch the life boat drill info on the TV.  That is the way the drills are currently conducted on all HAL ships.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, 0106 said:

@annandme I should have added the life boats drill to my previous post.  In February & November 2022 and February 2023 on three different HAL ships, we walked down to our station, spoke briefly ( less than a minute) to the person manning the station, had our key cards scanned and returned to our room to watch the life boat drill info on the TV.  That is the way the drills are currently conducted on all HAL ships.

First of all, "on three different HAL ships" - I was on the Oosterdam and that's not what they did on my cruise.

The temperature outside was warmish, but, with a strong wind blowing off the water.  At the appointed time, all passengers were directed to go outside and stand by their lifeboats.  This took a long time because some passengers could not distinguish lifeboat station 9 from 8, which was on the opposite side of the ship, etc.  Then, while still outside, all passengers keycards were scanned at their individual lifeboat station by various crew members.  When passengers were found at the wrong station, they were directed to make their way through the overcrowded outside deck to their correct station.  After the keycards were scanned, several passengers were found to be missing.  Broadcasts were made over the loudspeakers and crew were sent to their cabins to fetch them.  When all passengers were found, brought outside to the right station, and had their keycards scanned, then the 7 horn blasts were sounded and we watched as the crew donned their lifejackets.  After that, we were allowed to go back inside the ship and get out of the wind.

Secondly, "That is the way the drills are currently conducted on all HAL ships".  You were obviously not on my cruise because that is not how they conducted our drill on the Oosterdam.

I stand by my post to newtocruiseinblue that the Oosterdam would not be my choice for a cruise at this time.

P.S. - We also had to wait 2 hours, in line, outside, with no bathroom access to get back to the Oosterdam from one of our tender ports.  The hundreds of people lined up behind us had to wait even longer.  I suppose you're going to now post that HAL didn't do this, too.

Edited by annandme

21 hours ago, julia said:

Yes, you will most probably hear noise from deck nine above, as well as the loud ding from the elevators.

On the other hand, we never heard elevator dings and found the bathroom and closest provide good sound buffering to any hallway noise.  So "probably" hearing noises vs actual noise experiences does offer a large a range of expectations.

Nor has any Lido activity caused any undue noise, some occasional late afternoon chair scraping when they clean up the outdoor pool decks and fasten them down for the night.

One report of a Neptune Suite located under the ping pong table does give one pause. That might be a good area to avoid for daytime noise.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 0106 said:

Totally agree with your version Tina as well as @VMax1700.  No way have passengers had to stand in a crowd on deck SINCE COVID.  Now we scan the card at the lifeboat station and watch the boat drill on TV.  Absolutely, prior to March, 2020, we all stood under the lifeboats in whatever weather was going on at the time, and it took a long time to do it.  Someone is obviously confused about the year they last stood on the Oosterdam deck in the wind.  

Hoping not to be attacked since I wasn't on that person's cruise!  😂

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, annandme said:

P.S. - We also had to wait 2 hours, in line, outside, with no bathroom access to get back to the Oosterdam from one of our tender ports.  The hundreds of people lined up behind us had to wait even longer.  I suppose you're going to now post that HAL didn't do this, too.

I doubt that anyone will post the HAL didn't do this, just as much as no one will post that HAL did do this without knowing the FULL facts. Obviously the port in question is relevant, as are many other parameters including weather conditions, harbour conditions, safety situations.  

• Like 2

Thanks to everyone for their input regarding Deck 8 on this ship.  Based on the input and information found elsewhere we will avoid deck 8.  The cruise we are considering is 17 days so it's a longer time if there is noise!  We will go to a verandah cabin instead unless SS cabin opens up on a lower deck, mid shiip.

Greatly appreciated your feedback and Happy Cruising to all!

• Like 1

On 4/6/2023 at 1:58 PM, travelbug1 said:

Disembarked the Oosterdam Monday...4/10 after fantastic 19 nigh South America cruise.  

We were in 8077....suite but not sure what category......that was mid ship....three doors (or so) from the mid ship elevator. 

Super quiet room.  Never had any noise issues.  

• Like 1

On 4/7/2023 at 11:47 AM, annandme said:

What port was that?

On 4/7/2023 at 9:41 AM, VMax1700 said:

I doubt that anyone will post the HAL didn't do this, just as much as no one will post that HAL did do this without knowing the FULL facts. Obviously the port in question is relevant, as are many other parameters including weather conditions, harbour conditions, safety situations.  

We have had some rebounding hang ups  too - this comes with the territory - even location changes in small ports from where we got off and where we needed to re-board and obviously they were not able to notify us while we were ashore. So it was a walk to get to the new location and then a back up on some small Pacific Island.  

Standing in line in the cold for a few  hours in Sochi Russia was another one. Thank goodness I had gloves and ear muffs tucked into my raincoat pockets for that one. 

So no one can say this does not or will not happen, but never once have I ever thought HAL was not doing its best under circumstances over which they had no control.

Shady port agents can play games for shakedowns too which can turn all pre-planning amok too.  They know they have the ship over the barrel, since that returning passengers just want to get back to their cabins, so that is when they strike. 

Travel streches us and is an adventure. If one wants/needs a 100% predictable and comfortable vacation, I suggest sticking with land resorts.

The cruise line doesn't control what happens at the port. In Bali several years ago, the line to return to the ship (QM2) was incredibly long because only one tender could dock at the pier, despite the ship having several boats in the water, ready to go. It made no sense, as the pier was long enough to take two, maybe three. But port rules or staffing levels said only one at a time. 

• Like 1