What's your room number? -- 2 surprises

CaliforniaDon

1 hour ago, Incognito1 said:

Maybe in the minority, but I like seeing the photos of dogs, flags, statements, beaches, etc show up when I'm waiting for the elevators, playing games, etc

Mine's not of a dog, but it's not my own photo except for security.

Lol mine was an obscene photo; unfortunately it did not get “accepted”, so I figured I had to actually use MY photo..even had to be SPECIFIC of me without sunglasses on, so I figured it was for security..but I dunno as a friend had a crew member take a NEW photo of him as we got off in port at Cozumel…

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gardenbunny said:

I am cruising 21 day Enchanted May 6.  I am dreading the Medallion and impersonal “order delivery crew”.

On the Coral in February we still received fantastic service from crew members who got to know us and our preferences. The medallion does not prevent this happening and we didn't ever feel the service was impersonal. 😊

• Like 4

4 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

I pray for the day when verbally stating my cabin number is the most annoying thing that happens to me each day. I’m not rich enough or important enough to worry about someone overhearing my cabin number. If someone really cares, they can simply follow me discreetly as I go back to my cabin the way a private detective might. 

Exactly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, startedwithamouse said:

First world problems. And it usually only happens the first couple of days until the bartenders get to know you, then they just give you a thumbs up. 

Disagree.  On the Regal for 16 days and yet on day 16, while the bartender knew my drink order by heart, he still asked for my cabin number Every. Single. Time.  As did the barista at the IC.  Even the lady in the shop when I bought something -- placed my medallion on the little gizmo, yet she still asked my cabin number.  I don't like having to give out my cabin number for any of a whole host of reasons, and no matter how quietly you try to say it, inevitably the crew will repeat it back at volume.  Sigh.

I think the irritation here isn't because we're prima donnas but because they have this fancy new system that works less efficiently than the old cruise card did. You showed the card, or they swiped it, and done.  Now, it's one giant leap backward. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, rdsqrl said:

Disagree.  On the Regal for 16 days and yet on day 16, while the bartender knew my drink order by heart, he still asked for my cabin number Every. Single. Time.  As did the barista at the IC.  Even the lady in the shop when I bought something -- placed my medallion on the little gizmo, yet she still asked my cabin number.  I don't like having to give out my cabin number for any of a whole host of reasons, and no matter how quietly you try to say it, inevitably the crew will repeat it back at volume.  Sigh.

I think the irritation here isn't because we're prima donnas but because they have this fancy new system that works less efficiently than the old cruise card did. You showed the card, or they swiped it, and done.  Now, it's one giant leap backward. 

Half a dozen cruises using medallion and that's never been our experience.  

11 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

That was called a key card!

If I remember correctly a cruise card has never had a cabin number on it which is why when presenting your card you were asked your cabin number as a security check.

If your photo is not displayed on someone's terminal then it is only reasonable that you are asked for your cabin number otherwise you could use any medallion to buy goods/services with.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Fa-Li said:

apparently more than a few people think they are being cute when they put photos of their dog in as their medallion photo.  He was like am I supposed to say "Drink for dog!"

There is an option to have an alternative image displayed when you are using the screens around the ship, door locks etc this can be whatever you choose (within limits I guess)

The photo that comes up for crew is the security photo which has to be of you. If it is not of you then you will have difficulty boarding as security won't allow you on as you don't match the photo, at which time they will take another photo for you 🙃

• Like 3

5 hours ago, rdsqrl said:

I like the idea of just writing it down on a piece of paper and maybe just your last name if you aren't comfortable saying it.  That seems easy enough and also less chance of miscommunication. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, david63 said:

If I remember correctly a cruise card has never had a cabin number on it which is why when presenting your card you were asked your cabin number as a security check.

Most of them have have the cabin  number minus the deck. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

Not that it really matters, but since I have all our cruise cards in a folder I just went and checked - and of our 18 Princess cruises the only card that had our cabin number (with or without a deck designation) was our first cruise in 2002.  The rest all have all sorts of numbers, but they don't match up with our cabin #.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, david63 said:

38 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

19 minutes ago, bjkTX said:

Not that it really matters, but since I have all our cruise cards in a folder I just went and checked - and of our 18 Princess cruises the only card that had our cabin number (with or without a deck designation) was our first cruise in 2002.  The rest all have all sorts of numbers, but they don't match up with our cabin #.

Royal Caribbean does print the cabin number (leaving off the deck number in front) on SeaPass cards.  In the 20+ years I've been cruising Carnival, Sail & Sign cards have never had the cabin number (or any variation of it).

45 minutes ago, nunyabidness said:

Royal Caribbean does print the cabin number (leaving off the deck number in front) on SeaPass cards.  In the 20+ years I've been cruising Carnival, Sail & Sign cards have never had the cabin number (or any variation of it).

Understand - but we're talking about Princess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, bjkTX said:

but we're talking about Princess.

Don't think it really matter which cruise line - if the cabin number was on the cruise card and you dropped your cruise card somewhere anyone picking it up would have instant access to your cabin if the cabin number was on the card.

• Like 1

I don’t get why there’s concern saying your cabin number out loud. If someone really wanted to charge another room they could walk down the hall and pick out a room and know the names in it. Same applies for saying it out loud to the bartender. A bad actor will bad act

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, fpsphil said:

I don’t get why there’s concern saying your cabin number out loud. If someone really wanted to charge another room they could walk down the hall and pick out a room and know the names in it. Same applies for saying it out loud to the bartender. A bad actor will bad act

True, but why make it easier for the bad actors?

On 4/8/2023 at 9:22 PM, Kellyansapansa said:

On the Coral in February we still received fantastic service from crew members who got to know us and our preferences. The medallion does not prevent this happening and we didn't ever feel the service was impersonal. 😊

After 36 cruises, (pax from 600 to 6,000) I have discovered this:  The smaller the ship, the better the service.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Daniel A said:

True, but why make it easier for the bad actors?

The probability that one of the 5 people close enough to you in a crowded bar such that they could hear and understand your cabin number is actually one of the very, very few bad actors on the ship is so low as to be discountable.  We're talking about "get struck by lightning" odds.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

The probability that one of the 5 people close enough to you in a crowded bar such that they could hear and understand your cabin number is actually one of the very, very few bad actors on the ship is so low as to be discountable.  We're talking about "get struck by lightning" odds.  

That may be true, but why stand out in the middle of a golf course holding onto the metal pin on the green during a thunderstorm?  Are those "get struck by lightning" odds also 'discountable'?  Why make it easier for the lightning to find you?  

14 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

That may be true, but why stand out in the middle of a golf course holding onto the metal pin on the green during a thunderstorm?  Are those "get struck by lightning" odds also 'discountable'?  Why make it easier for the lightning to find you?  

In your analogy, the conditions are ripe for lightning to form.  That is not the same as "bad actors on a cruise ship who somehow mean you harm if they could only figure out your cabin number."  Your analogy maps over to walking around with a big bulge in your back pocket in the middle of a pickpocket convention.  Not really what you are facing on a Princess cruise.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2023 at 10:46 AM, CaliforniaDon said:

I had my medallion and that info was on there, yet the staff asked ME, and often wrote the info on a scrap of paper.

If there is anyone else within 10 feet, they have to ask because it' too time consuming to look at your picture.

34 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

In your analogy, the conditions are ripe for lightning to form.  That is not the same as "bad actors on a cruise ship who somehow mean you harm if they could only figure out your cabin number."  Your analogy maps over to walking around with a big bulge in your back pocket in the middle of a pickpocket convention.  Not really what you are facing on a Princess cruise.

Whatever....  I defer to the expert.  🤷‍♂️ 

On 4/9/2023 at 9:07 AM, bjkTX said:

The old cruise card typically had a letter and a number on it and then a separate 4 digit number. The letter was typically A for adult and let the waiter/bar staff know that you were of drinking age and therefore could order alcohol and the number after the letter was the number of cruises taken. The 4 digit number was your folio number. All the charges you made were assigned to that folio number and ended up on your stateroom account.

The medallion is just an extension of the folio number process. The medallion has a serial number, or unique identifier and charges made are assigned to that serial number/identifier. The ships system knows which passenger maps to that identifier and places the charge onto their account. 

Edited by polmcs
  • Like 2

On 4/9/2023 at 2:03 PM, david63 said:

Don't think it really matter which cruise line - if the cabin number was on the cruise card and you dropped your cruise card somewhere anyone picking it up would have instant access to your cabin if the cabin number was on the card.

If you drop you medallion on the ship anyone has aces to your cabin until you report it missing.

29 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

If you drop you medallion on the ship anyone has aces to your cabin until you report it missing.

But your Medallion doesn't have your room number (or any portion of it).  You'd have to look at the Medallion screens on the entire ship to find the right cabin (plus is there a privacy option not to display your name on the screen? if so it would be rather conspicuous trying to open multiple rooms as you go down the hall) as opposed to trying for example room 321 on every deck if a keycard has the partial room number.