Coffee Makers? Why not?

silverturtle

I admittedly use coffee makers in hotel rooms and wish that Carnival had them. Especially now that door hanger cards are gone. I wonder how many less room service orders they would get if they added them. I likely would cut down on my danish and croissant consumption if I just made coffee in my room myself vs being able to easily tack items onto a room service order! As others have said though there is no way Carnival is adding anything at this point. I totally get cost control in a business in this day and age. It’s ultimately their operation and product and their choice.

• Like 1

Fire hazard is most often mentioned but can you just imagine the amount of complaints about the coffee maker not working properly or not cleaned properly (cuz housekeeping doesn't have enough to do),  people mad cuz the coffee did not get replaced, people mad cuz they dont have their favorite flavor, then people wanting real cream and pink sugar packets or powder cream and raw sugar...I am a huge morning coffee drinker BUT I do not blame them at all...yikes!!!

• Like 3

In the past Carnival had free and cheerful room service available 24/7 so no in-cabin coffee makers were necessary. Now that Carnival is trending more toward a barebones make your own fun type of cruise line, maybe they need to revisit this. They put refrigerators in all the rooms over the past decade or so.

It would be nice, but sadly, them days are over. 

We are kind of early risers and would love to wake up to a nice pot of coffee in the cabin. But going up on deck for a cup isn't a problem. Always meet some other early risers and have someone to chat with. 

2 hours ago, Sarnia 432 said:

@Oakman58 which kettle to you bring that has been allowed on board?

I didn't say it was allowed, just that I bring it.  I don't think anyone recognizes what it is in my luggage.  If it gets confiscated and never returned then I'm only out $35.  No big deal.  I used it on my last two cruises one with Carnival and one with Princess.

BTW, prior to Covid, NCL had a coffee maker in every cabin category of balcony and above.  Post Covid you ask your cabin steward for one and you get it.

Edited by Oakman58

12 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

I didn't say it was allowed, just that I bring it.  I don't think anyone recognizes what it is in my luggage.  If it gets confiscated and never returned then I'm only out $35.  No big deal.  I used it on my last two cruises one with Carnival and one with Princess.

BTW, prior to Covid, NCL had a coffee maker in every cabin category of balcony and above.  Post Covid you ask your cabin steward for one and you get it.

Thank you. I'm sailing NCL next month and saw posts that you just have to ask your steward for one. So reading this thread and seeing posts saying it's not allowed for safety/fire hazards didn't make sense.

47 minutes ago, LatinaInTexas said:

Thank you. I'm sailing NCL next month and saw posts that you just have to ask your steward for one. So reading this thread and seeing posts saying it's not allowed for safety/fire hazards didn't make sense.

My sister was on NCL recently and she was able to get one by asking her room steward.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, silverturtle said:

Why oh why can't we have coffee makers on Carnival? NCL has them in their balconies and up and I'm sure they're not the only ones. It's not like they'd be losing money, coffee is free everyplace else on the ship. The scare of a fire?.. us women all have our curling irons and straight irons, so that can't be the reason. I'd even be ok to pay an upcharge for the coffee maker in the room!!! I just don't get why they can't put them in the rooms.

Well, now we know who was complaining to John Heald this morning.  🤣

Seriously though, I doubt if all that many people would use them so Carnival would just be throwing millions of dollars away equipping cabins with something that nobody cares about.  When I want a coup of coffee it's no big deal to head up to Lido and grab one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

If  the reason why Carnival doesn't provide them in-room is due to safety concern, you decide that is safe for you?

7 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Liability - a person burns themselves on the element, or spills a pot of coffee, or scalds themselves on the coffee grounds - and we know it will happen. Let the lawsuits begin.

If that were the case there wouldn't be coffee makers in hotels or on other cruise lines. 

• Like 3

We enjoy coffee first thing in the morning.

Hotel drip-style coffee makers are, at best, a mediocre method of making coffee - the coffee out of them is always weak tasting.  K-cup style are better but still seem to be a compromise.

My wife is quite happy with me bolting out the cabin door to get cappuccinos or similar in the morning from Java Blue or whatever equipped bar is nearest.  Then we enjoy our balcony and watch the ocean go by, or people watch if in port.  I go out for another round, maybe spiked this time, and then we get on with our day.  Ah, lazy mornings, gotta love 'em.

So we don't miss the coffee makers.

6 hours ago, mz-s said:

In the past Carnival had free and cheerful room service available 24/7 so no in-cabin coffee makers were necessary. Now that Carnival is trending more toward a barebones make your own fun type of cruise line, maybe they need to revisit this.

This is a good point - Mr. Heald's post / response this morning indicated they did try this a bunch of years back with suites (IIRC), and they never got used - but now, with room service not free 24/7, and possibly slower than before, there might be renewed interest in having in-cabin coffee makers.

In the time that it would take me to get the coffee going, etc, I could already be up in Lido 🙂

(unless it's a k-cup, then I'll be up in Lido anyway)

And then the creamer - one more thing to pack, for security to check (honestly, it's just amaretto "flavored"), and with the way the fridges "cool" not worth it.  

2 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

This is a good point - Mr. Heald's post / response this morning indicated they did try this a bunch of years back with suites (IIRC), and they never got used - but now, with room service not free 24/7, and possibly slower than before, there might be renewed interest in having in-cabin coffee makers.

Continental RS is still free other than a tip.

They had them in suites on 1 of the newer ships(Maybe Horizon) when it first came out and they were rarely used.  Even had a few come up missing and had to be replaced.  Simply wasn't worth the trouble of having them in the cabins.  Just like robes, why wash them all the time when there were rarely used?

9 hours ago, groundloop said:

Well, now we know who was complaining to John Heald this morning.  🤣

Seriously though, I doubt if all that many people would use them so Carnival would just be throwing millions of dollars away equipping cabins with something that nobody cares about.  When I want a coup of coffee it's no big deal to head up to Lido and grab one.

Sorry, wasn't me complaining. Maybe he read this forum?

Here's a thread for anyone curious about the Norwegian coffee makers:

Personally I don't like coffee fixings in my room. Mainly it is because inevitably sugar ends up all over the place. But we have some NCL cruises coming up and my wife is kind of keen on the idea. 

I'm excited by the fact Norwegian has real milk! For decades I have had either bacon and eggs or cereal for breakfast. On Carnival bacon is not available half the time and cereal with that white dyed water they call low fat milk is a no go.

Edited by icft

One solution is carnival adds coffee maker rental to the fun shops. Same as how bottles of water are delivered coffee makers can be delivered. If some one wants one while on board they can ask their room Stewert/ guest services. Furthermore if carnival feels they will get people who will click to have one in their cabin just because they can, and not use it once, they can add a 1$ fee to rent it.

5 minutes ago, Squirreladd said:

One solution is carnival adds coffee maker rental to the fun shops. Same as how bottles of water are delivered coffee makers can be delivered. If some one wants one while on board they can ask their room Stewert/ guest services. Furthermore if carnival feels they will get people who will click to have one in their cabin just because they can, and not use it once, they can add a 1$ fee to rent it.

I mean I guess so but if I wanted coffee in my cabin I'd just cough up the $3 for a pot of it from room service.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2023 at 6:16 AM, Squirreladd said:

Most likely its a cultural thing. P&O owned by Carnival has tea kettles due to it being a British centric line and their cultural love of Tea. While Coffee is the USA equivalent it may not be as popular. 

Wouldn't be impossible for Carnival to Contract out for some cheap room K-Cup makers and some rebranded "carnival coffee" C-kups in the room. 

I'm sure that people would be taking all the k-cups home as souvenirs, much like people take the pens, paper, towel animals, table decorations, etc.  It's not cost effective for Carnival.

• Like 1