Bon Voyage

gregma60

So, I've been watching the Love Boat (lol) in preparation for my first cruise.  It's on board the Volendam for an Inside Passage 7-day cruise.  Do they actually do the standing on the decks throwing ribbon and confetti?  I know it sounds ridiculous, but the "Bon Voyage" package says it contains Sparkling wine, balloons and "ribbon"...

-gregma

I've been cruising only 20 years and in all those days have never seen people standing at the railing throwing ribbons to shore.  Just on TV or the movies!  The only ribbon I can think of in this instance would be ribbons attached to helium balloons.  Sorry!🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, gregma60 said:

So, I've been watching the Love Boat (lol) in preparation for my first cruise.  It's on board the Volendam for an Inside Passage 7-day cruise.  Do they actually do the standing on the decks throwing ribbon and confetti?  I know it sounds ridiculous, but the "Bon Voyage" package says it contains Sparkling wine, balloons and "ribbon"...

-gregma

The last time I remember throwing ribbons into the ocean at departure was on the SS Constitution in Hawaii in the early 1990s

Cruising stopped the confetti and ribbon to shore tossing years ago as a way to reduce pollution. All that paper ended up in the water, and was unsightly at best. 
I do remember it on my first cruise, but don't remember it ever again. 

• Like 1

The streamers went the way of skeet shooting and golf ball hitting off the stern of the ships!  Throwing things in the ocean is not allowed anymore, but it was fun way back when we were so unaware of the pollution problem!  For me, Royal Viking Line 1982 sailing from San Francisco!!

HAL does usually have a Sail Away Party on the aft pool deck with drinks passed around (for sale) snacks (sometimes) and music.  I like to go to those and it's a festive way to start off the cruise!!

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Thanks 1

I didn't think so, so was just curious about the ribbon you get with the Bon Voyage package.  It's not really the same kind of event leaving on a cruise as it was a long time ago.  I guess people had family members there to wish them well, etc.  Not so much of that anymore.

-gregma

10 hours ago, gregma60 said:

I didn't think so, so was just curious about the ribbon you get with the Bon Voyage package.  It's not really the same kind of event leaving on a cruise as it was a long time ago.  I guess people had family members there to wish them well, etc.  Not so much of that anymore.

-gregma

Back in the day of streamers, you could also invite friends on board for a "bon voyage" party (we always brought on our own treats). The streamer tradition was for friends/family on the pier holding one end and the passenger holding the other until the ship pulled away and the streamer broke. In reality, it was next to impossible to throw the streamer and have it reach your friend on shore. But it was fun and festive. 

• Like 1

I don't remember confetti, but there were lots of streamers on our first cruise in 1983 on the old Veendam - RT NYC to Bermuda. My BFF was able to come onboard for lunch before we sailed. Lots of fun, and a nice memory!

Edited by NextOne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Back in the day of streamers, you could also invite friends on board for a "bon voyage" party (we always brought on our own treats). The streamer tradition was for friends/family on the pier holding one end and the passenger holding the other until the ship pulled away and the streamer broke. In reality, it was next to impossible to throw the streamer and have it reach your friend on shore. But it was fun and festive. 

That sounds amazing!  I would have loved to have witnessed that.

-gregma

4 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Those days were so fun ( but it’s good that they stopped trashing our oceans ). Things were very different back then! My friend and I were just teenagers when we’d cruise. Our friends would all come onboard with us for a Bon Voyage ‘party’ then would leave and throw streamers from the dock as we’d depart.