Formal Attire

lion1956

We have not been on a cruise for many years but we are takiing a Emerald Princess cruise in May, my question, is it absolutely required to wear a suit or sportcoat on formal nights?  I ask because we flying internationality and it is such a pain to pack and carry a suit.  What is the percentage of people in your estimate who go to a formal night without wearing a suit?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, lion1956 said:

We have not been on a cruise for many years but we are takiing a Emerald Princess cruise in May, my question, is it absolutely required to wear a suit or sportcoat on formal nights?  I ask because we flying internationality and it is such a pain to pack and carry a suit.  What is the percentage of people in your estimate who go to a formal night without wearing a suit?

I just got back yesterday from a Princess cruise and the dress code is not as strict as it was years ago. Most people I saw were wearing a nice pair of dress shorts and a button down. 

• Like 1

It is now being called dress to impress on princess. I've seen everything from tuxes and evening gowns to nice jeans and collared shirts. I have also rarely seen shorts and tshirts, though I have also seen a lot of these turned away. So it all depends on whatever you feel comfortable in. Living here in Florida we don't get to dress up a whole lot, so our next cruise the tux will go with us 🤣 but that's mainly because we get to drive to the port 🤣.

• Like 2

Currently on Sky, with lots of Brits on board. On Formal nights, in the MDRs, virtually every man was wearing a suit and tie or tuxedo. Even the young boys were wearing ties !

No need to wear a jacket and tie, but on our cruise you would be in a very small minority.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, lion1956 said:

Short answer is NO

• Like 1

Pre-COVID, we felt uncomfortable in the MDR on Formal night without a suit jacket. Post-COVID, we now feel comfortable in dress pants (black/khaki/grey) and a short sleeve dress shirt.

Before I get booed off-stage, keep in mind that driving to a port with a suit is a lot easier than flying to a port with a suit.

• Like 4

I’m also very interested in responses.  We sail to Hawaii on Emerald in June.  This will be my first Princess, but I have sailed other lines. It’s hard enough to pack for a 16 day cruise already.  Then, when you factor in flying, it gets more complicated.  My husband would rather leave the sports coat at home if he would not look out of place without it. 

• Like 2

I would leave the suit at home.  Just off the Discovery Princess—men wearing suits/tuxes were certainly in the minority.  Hubby wore dress pants, collared long sleeved shirt with a tie.  He was the best dressed man at our MDR table.  

(He still packs dress shoes—doesn’t feel comfortable wearing sneakers on dress to impress nights!)

• Like 3

We travel with 1 carryon & 1 personal item each, even on 26 or 28 day cruises. Most of our cruises require international flights. My husband takes dark slacks & collared polo shirts for formal nights. I take black slacks & dressy tops. We've never been turned away & never feel out of place. As someone said you'll see tuxes & gowns, coats, no coats, ties, no ties, jeans, & recently dress shorts. All are welcome. My husband takes 1 sport coat which he carries on the plane. He may wear it to dinner if it's chilly, or may not. Be comfortable & please yourself. 

• Like 5

It is definitely not a requirement to wear formal wear or a dark suit on formal night. The percentage of men who will varies a lot. In my experience the number was lowest on Alaska and Mexican Riviera sailings - maybe 10 - 25%. On cruises in Europe it could be 75%

• Like 4

If you’re sailing on an itinerary, such as the Caribbean, Alaska, Hawaii, or any itinerary embarking in the US, the majority of guests will be Americans and the dress code is much more relaxed, to the point of being non existent in many cases.  However, European and Med cruises are completely different.  Guests dress for dinner, even on non formal nights.  Never, ever, shorts and ball caps.  This is especially true on sailings out of Southampton.  So it depends on which cruise you choose.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

It is definitely not a requirement to wear formal wear or a dark suit on formal night. The percentage of men who will varies a lot. In my experience the number was lowest on Alaska and Mexican Riviera sailings - maybe 10 - 25%. On cruises in Europe it could be 75%

We have sailed only on itineraries in Europe and the Med for years and trust me it’s rare to see gentleman not dressed appropriately for dinner every night.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lion1956 said:

Well,  really the advice above is conflicting and I am no clearer on what to do, any more comments pls.

This is about as clear as you are going to get on this board. There is a vocal minority who will tell you anything goes but here are a few facts:

It is still called formal night.

Princess has published guidelines for attire.

Shorts are never allowed in dining room at night.

The majority make an attempt to comply.

• Like 4

We sail to Europe, around Europe and the Med on Princess every year and your husband will be fine with a shirt, tie and slacks of some kind and no sport coat.  We cannot understand where these high numbers of men dressed to the nines on European cruises come from.  It just is not true in our opinion and observation.  Enjoy your cruise and pack light.

Also, you will find out when you get on the ships that Princess has a "suggested dress code" not a "mandatory dress code" but there will be those old formalists who think Princess still puts on gala balls.

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

We sail to Europe, around Europe and the Med on Princess every year and your husband will be fine with a shirt, tie and slacks of some kind and no sport coat.  We cannot understand where these high numbers of men dressed to the nines on European cruises come from.  It just is not true in our opinion and observation.  Enjoy your cruise and pack light.

Also, you will find out when you get on the ships that Princess has a "suggested dress code" not a "mandatory dress code" but there will be those old formalists who think Princess still puts on gala balls.

Yes, there are definitely some men who choose to dress more casually, even in Europe.  However, these gentlemen are more likely to be Americans, as Europeans seldom dress down.  It’s just the difference in culture.  The more Europeans onboard the dressier the attire.  If your cruise takes you to Europe or the Med, you might want to pack a tie at the very least, just in case.

Edited by Lady Arwen
  • Like 4

No matter what people say you are not required to go to a formal venue for meals.  The 'formal' designation is only applicable in the MDR.  You can eat in a multitude of other venues if you so chose.  You're free to walk about the ship in normal, non-formal attire even on 'formal' night.  

• Like 1

And here goes the dress code debate again…insisting that almost all need a coat and tie is not true…insisting that shorts and T shirts are perfectly fine is not true…what actually exists on “formal” night is some where in between for “most” people!   There are those on these boards who want to sway opinions on both sides…they ARE the minority…most of us fall somewhere in the middle of those parameters.  You don’t need to look like you’re going to a black tie event, but you also don’t need to look like you’re headed to the beach!  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I really do feel sorry for first time cruisers who come on here looking for advice and start reading the dress code topics - it is enough to put them off cruising for life.

Having said that this same discussion takes place on virtually every cruise forum that there is.

All that is needed when someone asks the question is to refer them to the appropriate wording from the cruise line and allow them to make their own decisions (after all they are adults) rather than half the people who post advocating one thing and the other half advocating the opposite. The cruise line have suggestions

"For more formal settings, men should bring a dinner jacket, slacks, or a dark suit and a nice pair of shoes, while women may want to bring an evening gown, cocktail dress, or elegant pant suit."

https://www.princess.com/cruise-tips-vacation-ideas/cruise-destinations/cruise-tips-advice-and-information/tips-on-what-to-pack-for-a-cruise.html

• Like 2

Agree with @Potstech. The short and simple answer is no.

That said, DH always wears a sportcoat travelling on a plane and for the cruise, rolls up a tie in a jacket pocket. So packing a jacket is not a problem. 

Percentages you ask? If it's a concern to you, dress up to feel a part of things. I wouldn't be concerned about what others wear.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 2

Going to the Princess website is absolutely worthless…just like calling them on the phone to get an “official” answer.  They haven’t updated anything in years.  Ask them about shore excursions and they will scare you into booking only with them so you aren’t left waving on the dock (and yes we usually book the ship excursions)  looking to Princess for any type of guidance is liking asking my 6 year old grand daughter for financial advice!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2