Why are interior cabins more expensive than oceanview?

wtang

I'm browsing itineraries and fares on the Royal Caribbean website and I found an odd case of price inversion. For one sailing, the price of interior cabins is higher than the price of oceanview cabins.  In fact, the interior cabins are just slightly lower than a balcony cabin.  What gives? 

Dynamic Pricing

The fewer of a certain category the more expensive it is. For our cruise this upcoming July we had friends who just decided to join us, and an Interior Room that would fit 4 was almost $500 more per person than an OceanView Balcony. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, wtang said:

I'm browsing itineraries and fares on the Royal Caribbean website and I found an odd case of price inversion. For one sailing, the price of interior cabins is higher than the price of oceanview cabins.  In fact, the interior cabins are just slightly lower than a balcony cabin.  What gives? 

My December 10th harmony a inside balcony was $16 less than a inside. Sometimes you see a oceanview balcony for less than other less desirable balconies.

Supply and demand. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wtang said:

I'm browsing itineraries and fares on the Royal Caribbean website and I found an odd case of price inversion.

Late in the selling cycle this is not that odd on Q class ships which have the highest ratio of balconies to insides. Having X GTY rates lower than say 4V insides is not that unusual. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Sometimes it depends on what deck and part of ship like if near sanctuaries or restaurants 

But in general interiors are usually cheaper so it must be issues with a particular cruise

The way Royal now breaks down cabins is they have midship (generally between the elevator banks) or forward and aft cabins (generally forward of the forward elevators or aft of the aft elevators).  There is no difference in price based on deck number or distance to certain venues.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wtang said:

Some cabins are haunted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 4/10/2023 at 9:17 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

The way Royal now breaks down cabins is they have midship (generally between the elevator banks) or forward and aft cabins (generally forward of the forward elevators or aft of the aft elevators).  There is no difference in price based on deck number or distance to certain venues.

oh yes I have seen prices higher by $25-50 for a higher deck.

On 4/10/2023 at 5:38 PM, wtang said:

I have yet to be on a cruise where an inside cabin cost more than an OV.

For two of our upcoming cruises on Anthem Obstructed View Balcony was cheaper than Interior and similar price so we booked it. We are not very interested in balconies because we do not use them so we rarely book them, but why not if it similarly or lower priced?

As  for Interior vs OV ... for us Interior above promenade .. and preferable two or three decks under Pool deck is more valuable than OV under promenade.

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 2

Don't some of the interior cabins have virtual windows?  I think I remember reading Quantum class does.  Disney has virtual portholes and those rooms cost a bit more on the ships that have them, and always sell out first.  

Some of the interior cabins, like the Central Park interior are larger than the balcony and oceanview cabins. The central park interior on Symphony is 199 square feet. I've never sailed in a central park interior before, but we are going to try it for our cruise next April. In our case it was cheaper than a balcony. 

2 hours ago, Takemetoaspa said:

Some of the interior cabins, like the Central Park interior are larger than the balcony and oceanview cabins. The central park interior on Symphony is 199 square feet. I've never sailed in a central park interior before, but we are going to try it for our cruise next April. In our case it was cheaper than a balcony. 

My wife and I stayed in one on Oasis and really enjoyed it, especially the little nook/seating area by the window. It was nice to have a little bit of natural light during the day. 

3 hours ago, Takemetoaspa said:

What is Central Park interiors? I know Central Park balconies, but interiors?

6 hours ago, Tatka said:

What is Central Park interiors? I know Central Park balconies, but interiors?

They are the rooms just one floor above where pedestrians walk through Central Park. As mentioned above they are slightly larger than the balcony rooms, and they feature a little nook by a window that looks out at the park. 

C83B4E73-2681-490C-A80B-C09F630E20B9.thumb.jpeg.dc2fc5c19931b704ffe9568e6a04627d.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 4/13/2023 at 12:32 PM, ace1zoe2 said:

I was looking at a cruise a few days ago on Wonder for January and the inside cabins were priced $300 higher than an oceanview balcony!

Yup. We booked Wonder on a Boardwalk Balcony which is cheaper than inside and ocean view cabins.

Not on Royal, but when we sailed on Celebrity last November, we had friends who decided to join us last minute. They wanted to go as cheaply as possible so they booked an inside cabin. They didn’t realize that balconies were cheaper until I pointed it out to them so they called and switched to a balcony. Sometimes it works like that. 

14 hours ago, jacobtsf said:

They are the rooms just one floor above where pedestrians walk through Central Park. As mentioned above they are slightly larger than the balcony rooms, and they feature a little nook by a window that looks out at the park. 

C83B4E73-2681-490C-A80B-C09F630E20B9.thumb.jpeg.dc2fc5c19931b704ffe9568e6a04627d.jpeg

They have windows though.

That’s what confused me 🙂