She Said no Sea Shells on Ship

iluvthe-c

1 minute ago, complawyer said:

julig22.  ok, we can sympathize with a homeless crab, but what about she sells seashells by the seashore? is that poor girl now out of a job?

Nah, now she sells t-shirts with pictures of shells.

• Haha 3

at least she's not out of a job, but unfortunately, she sells t-shirts and shell pictures by the sea shore just doesnt have the same sense of alliteration, and i can take my own pictures, and how can anyone pass up the great deals on t-shirts when the tradewinds has its monstrous t-shirt sale aboard ship (also LOL)

15 minutes ago, complawyer said:

at least she's not out of a job, but unfortunately, she sells t-shirts and shell pictures by the sea shore just doesnt have the same sense of alliteration, and i can take my own pictures, and how can anyone pass up the great deals on t-shirts when the tradewinds has its monstrous t-shirt sale aboard ship (also LOL)

Plan ahead - no more monstrous t-shirt sales, they seem to be a thing of the past, so if you want one, the former sea-shell lady is your go-to.  They changed vendors for tradewinds, haven't seen itinerary-specific t-shirts for a while.  But at one of the last sales they did have, I was able to buy an Argentina/Antartica t-shirt on the Star when they were closing out on the stock they'd had in storage from the last-minute cancellations in 2022.  Saved it for when I actually did get to go.

7 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Plan ahead - no more monstrous t-shirt sales, they seem to be a thing of the past, so if you want one, the former sea-shell lady is your go-to.  They changed vendors for tradewinds, haven't seen itinerary-specific t-shirts for a while.  But at one of the last sales they did have, I was able to buy an Argentina/Antartica t-shirt on the Star when they were closing out on the stock they'd had in storage from the last-minute cancellations in 2022.  Saved it for when I actually did get to go.

We did have itinerary specific shirts, but it was an easy itinerary. Cozumel, Harvest Caye, Roatan. The price was 2 for $25. We each purchased one shirt, each. And we bought my model of NCL Joy! Because...well, I need my ship models! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, complawyer said:

WOW!!! ok you win, cant argue with your analysis. i hereafter vow to never remove a seashell from the beach, or anywhere else  for that matter.so how do you account for the many stores that actually sell  the shells?

I can't.  Additionally, I hope 'she' has access to job training opportunities.  Lastly, be careful on beaches taking home a bag of sand.  That could land you in a peck of trouble.

15 minutes ago, complawyer said:

no, last summer, i got montenegro, croatia, italy, norway, curacao, aruba.  the hits just keep on coming. my wife always asks why thehell do you keep buying these shirts. i feel like a walking billboard for ncl.

Yes, a walking billboard is just about right.  I got shirts for my Baltic cruise in July.  But nothing since.  Was really hoping for some in December with So Africa - none then, none for Antarctica in February.

Just FYI. Rocks, stones, even gravel. My DH is obsessed. He has gotten away with a few in pockets or backpack. Last fall, in Alaska, he stuffed his backpack. There was a war with security. My DH (dementia onset) was determined to keep them. At last (when I quietly explained situation) security let him keep a few of the best. A few tense moments for me.

1 hour ago, complawyer said:

WOW!!! ok you win, cant argue with your analysis. i hereafter vow to never remove a seashell from the beach, or anywhere else  for that matter.so how do you account for the many stores that actually sell  the shells?

They, or the person who actually collects the shells, are licensed by the country as collectors of shells that are verified as dead when collected, and that they have sterilized the shells to ensure no biological remains are present.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, complawyer said:

ok, i am also concerned about ecosystems, but im not a card carrying enviornmentelist,  but how does picking up a shell on the beach (assuming it is no longer inhabited) have any effect on any ecosystem?

Because you can’t always know that there are not viable spores, eggs, bacterium etc, in the shell.   The local authorities don’t make these regulations for the fun of it.  They have a reason.  Not that I believe, by a long shot, that big brother is always right, but we’re not talking about violating your constitutional rights, it’s a friggin seashell.   When you get home,go to your local craft store and buy a bag of shells. Or if you want the authentic thing buy a shell from a gift shop on the island and bring home the real deal, which is cleaned and sanitized.

• Like 2

On my first cruise I did a snorkel excursion out of Nassau and a local entrepreneur came out to our boat with fresh water coconuts for $4 and if you gave him $5 in payment he’d give you a conch shell as the change. 
There are plenty of jars of sand, processed shells, or sea glass jewellery to purchase in local souvenir stores if you want to bring that sort of thing home with you. 

6 hours ago, complawyer said:

ok, i am also concerned about ecosystems, but im not a card carrying enviornmentelist,  but how does picking up a shell on the beach (assuming it is no longer inhabited) have any effect on any ecosystem?

Removal of large particles, like shells, can alter the composition of the beach sand, and therefore change the rates and patterns of erosion along beaches.  As a previous poster said, removing one shell is one thing, thousands of people removing several shells each can cause a problem.  Also, many species rely on shells from dead animals for their existence (anchoring points for plants, bird nests, hiding spots for small fish).

• Like 2

On 4/11/2023 at 4:40 AM, hallux said:

Take only pictures, leave only footprints.

Years ago a park ranger in Grand Canyon NP, spoke these same words to us.

The only time I remember being told not to bring back on board any shells or rocks was a stop in New Brunswick, Canada. It is good advice.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

that is an excellent thought.   I do not buy souvenirs either as my photos are my souvenirs.

Almost with you on that thought, although now I take very few photos. I stop and think, “ How many photos are my heirs going to want of me standing in front of the Eiffel Tower?” Knowing my minimalist children, I’d say maybe one!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, trivia addict said:

Almost with you on that thought, although now I take very few photos. I stop and think, “ How many photos are my heirs going to want of me standing in front of the Eiffel Tower?” Knowing my minimalist children, I’d say maybe one!

aw but I take very few of me in front of something.  I do take photos of signs, and buildings and other things. What I do not do, is take 2-3 photos of everything.  I think about my shots first unless on a moving bus.

• Like 1