Jim_Iain Apex Key West, TansAtlantic and British Isle with a Week in Amsterdam

Jim_Iain

Hi Jim,

Enjoy your week in Amsterdam.  We can't wait to be there in July.  

I was following your instructions for taking the train from Rotterdam to Amsterdam as we will be doing the opposite journey.  Do one of you have a NS travel pass?  I see that the "Joint Journey..." says you need to be traveling with someone who has a NS Travel pass.  I goggled also and can't find where it says just travel with another or family for that discount.

Paying the "full" price is still easier and more economical for us as it's 2 adults and one 9 year old.

5/8/2023 - Amsterdam

After taking a day to just relax and vegetate we struck out with an Agenda but no real plan.

In Prep for Alex and Evelyn's arrival we wanted to scope out the city and get a feel for timing to synchronize with our planned activities for their time in Amsterdam.

First up was figuring out how to get to Europaplein where we will need to get on Bus 852 to Keukenhof Tulip Garden

I'm finding that Google Maps works really good for figuring out transport system but difficult for walking directions.   Maybe just me but I find Apple Maps better for walking directions.

From where we are staying the instructions were to walk to .2 Mile to Mercatorplein and Catch Tram 13 to Central Station then Metro 52 Zuid (South) to Europaplein    Sounds easy enough so off we went.

We already had our 7 Day Transit Pass

• Like 3

Next on our agenda was to figure out how to get to the Concert - Gebouw where we have tickets on Friday for Wiener Philharmoniker - Sjostakovitsj' Symfonie Nr. 5    (Vienna Philharmonic Symphony - Shostakovich Symphony Number 5) 

We decided it would be easier to walk from Central Station so off we went  

IMG_4224.thumb.jpeg.1bbd6bb69b99507427f56446d7902fd3.jpeg

Munttoren next to Flower market.  Love the Delfts Store next to it. 

IMG_4225.thumb.jpeg.dac8701ee0f29b8d9e4bfeccb04458a1.jpeg

IMG_4228.thumb.jpeg.df21dd00e6ffbfe2f40f8c103e4c29fc.jpeg

IMG_4230.thumb.jpeg.0f9e57a38ee81ebcc3186dacba2205bf.jpeg

IMG_4231.thumb.jpeg.95884f92119b25f2f2a34f07e9584bfd.jpeg

IMG_4228.thumb.jpeg.df21dd00e6ffbfe2f40f8c103e4c29fc.jpeg

No trip to Amsterdam is complete without a stroll along Bloemenmarkt. 

IMG_4232.jpeg

IMG_4233.jpeg

IMG_4240.jpeg

IMG_4238.jpeg

IMG_4239.jpeg

IMG_4241.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 21

Just wandering down Kerkstraat to Nieuwspiegelstratt and across a couple canals we were at the Rijkmuseum. 

IMG_4257.thumb.jpeg.13990c1ea1b316adc2b3e5af3af7fb43.jpeg

IMG_4256.thumb.jpeg.6d68fc783b1a0d37b87abda587811254.jpeg

IMG_4259.thumb.jpeg.90fab3c46f113f38150d082eb0e3fc82.jpeg

IMG_4261.thumb.jpeg.25fffee19dadae1a810ce5ff62f97673.jpeg

IMG_4263.thumb.jpeg.6ac956a717f89fe74142960f20112985.jpeg

On backside of Museum is a nice place to book a large or private canal tour.  Open boat tours are only a couple more euros and boats for about 4 or 6

IMG_4264.jpeg

IMG_4265.thumb.jpeg.ef0c17029c506eb4ac27637b0441302f.jpeg

IMG_4274.jpeg

IMG_4277.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 10

8 minutes ago, irvington said:

Thanks for the helpful explanation of the transit system!

Also learned you can buy a 1-5 day travel pass at Metro entrance via a machine.  

Will try to take a photo.   Iain wasn’t waiting for me as I puttered along taking photos 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

So far all we have discovered are Indonesian, Indian, Turkish and Hamburger places.   We will be checking more out tomorrow.

We were so in the mood for just a good home cooked hamburger which was the reason for our grocery shopping,   Cereal, Milk, Bread, Butter, Hagen Dazs and a beautiful Hamburger -   best translation was Ground Tartar -   I think it was ground steak... very yummy and virtually no fat.  

After eating out for 5 weeks it was just nice to eat in front of the TV.

Hi Jim and Iain, Several years ago we spent a week in Amsterdam and had dinner one night at Trattoria Toto, Eerste Constantijn Huygensstraat 12, and enjoyed a delicious Italian meal.  This should be fairly close to where you are staying.  Think you might enjoy it.

Mike and Mary

P.S. Enjoying your posts and photos very much and looking forward to visiting the UK and Amsterdam in June, 2024

Jim, 

You have discussed this in a previous trip report, but I didn't note what you said.  When you create a post with a bunch of photos, they are always nicely spaced out sometimes with text in between and sometimes no text but a small amount of white space before the next photo.  Some of the other live threads I have been reading currently show the photos actually touching each other in one long, solid, run-together column.  I find your method much more readable and pleasing to the eye.  Could you recommend the steps necessary to make your series of multiple pics look so nice in a post?

All of these great live threads have given me some additional courage to have a future go at one.  I would be using my iPhone.  I access the Cruise Critic website via the Safari browser on my iPhone.  Any additional tips you might have for posting multiple pics on Cruise Critic from an iPhone are appreciated.  Enjoy the rest of your vacation.

Thanks,

Paul

20 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

Jim, 

You have discussed this in a previous trip report, but I didn't note what you said.  When you create a post with a bunch of photos, they are always nicely spaced out sometimes with text in between and sometimes no text but a small amount of white space before the next photo.  Some of the other live threads I have been reading currently show the photos actually touching each other in one long, solid, run-together column.  I find your method much more readable and pleasing to the eye.  Could you recommend the steps necessary to make your series of multiple pics look so nice in a post?

All of these great live threads have given me some additional courage to have a future go at one.  I would be using my iPhone.  I access the Cruise Critic website via the Safari browser on my iPhone.  Any additional tips you might have for posting multiple pics on Cruise Critic from an iPhone are appreciated.  Enjoy the rest of your vacation.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul -

The standard on Cruise Critic software is that all pictures are run together.  

I have two different ways.    One one my iPhone I click choose files and select all the pictures I want.  The trick is you can't let the phone go into screen saver mode before fully uploaded or the ones in the queue of ones not uploaded will fail.   I just keep my finger on the screen and wiggle every so often.  This is only needed if really slow uploading like the old ships internet. 

Once all are in the bottom I do one of two different things....

Write something and then choose the file I want and click the Insert adjacent to the picture... write some more and individually insert as wanted.

If In a rush with all the pictures loaded I just click Submit and I get the jumbled mess of them all together..    I then click Edit and  then click the very edge of each photo and put in a Return which gives the space.  The trick is to just click the very far right edge of the picture an hit the return or you will open the picture and then on an iPhone it is almost impossible to recover.

More often than not.    I use a combination of my pc and create a message with all of my text and then submit.   I then to to my iPhone and open the message and click edit then add the photos and due like above.

Also sometime I find it easier to submit all the photos in a blog and then open on laptop and much easier to put the individual line break between each photo.

I've done it so long I almost do it automatically while watching the news or TV.  

CC has a Test Forum https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/860-test-forum/

Fun place to play without being concerned about what you post.   Great for testing things like this out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, MikeMary4449 said:

Hi Jim and Iain, Several years ago we spent a week in Amsterdam and had dinner one night at Trattoria Toto, Eerste Constantijn Huygensstraat 12, and enjoyed a delicious Italian meal.  This should be fairly close to where you are staying.  Think you might enjoy it.

Mike and Mary

P.S. Enjoying your posts and photos very much and looking forward to visiting the UK and Amsterdam in June, 2024

Thanks we finally got to good reservations.    I found a really neat app called The Fork that works good in Amsterdam.    It has a feature that you select a date and time and will only show restaurants that have availability at that time and also give a 30% discount of Al La Carte items. 

While sitting across from the Concert Hall I chose current location and Mediterranean and made a reservation at Mythos Greek Restaurant just a couple blocks away from the theater.  Menu looks really good and nice dining room

• Like 1

1 hour ago, irvington said:

Thanks for the helpful explanation of the transit system!

Just remembered.  

You can download an App Called GVB -  Amsterdam Transit.  You purchase your tickets on the app and immediately use the QR Code on all transport.   Only problem you have to open your phone and tag on and tag off.    I think you can put it in you iPhone Wallet

***** Link  cc masks the name but it works

https://*****.com/4jwbsfcd

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks we finally got to good reservations.    I found a really neat app called The Fork that works good in Amsterdam.    It has a feature that you select a date and time and will only show restaurants that have availability at that time and also give a 30% discount of Al La Carte items. 

We use that all the time when traveling it’s really good. You can also cancel your booking at any time without any hassle. Please let us know if you have any spectacular dining experience while in Amsterdam. Have a wonderful stay in Amsterdam your accommodation looks lovely.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We used the phone app for the trains we took but had to get the card pass for the multiday as they only sell a 5 day via the app.    It worked perfect on the phone when we used it.    Only slight effort is I booked both on one reservation so had to swipe to get the second QR Code.   We probably could have gotten the 7 day as we didn't use at all yesterday and will be getting a Uber SUV to the port.

The agent said the app works really good and suggested it for the 3-4 day pass we will need for Iain's sister and BIL.   

Good to know. We plan on Uber from Airport to Hotel and then use GVB for getting around Amsterdam. Now will plan on the phone app for our 3 day pass.

8 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Just wandering down Kerkstraat to Nieuwspiegelstratt and across a couple canals we were at the Rijkmuseum. 

IMG_4261.thumb.jpeg.25fffee19dadae1a810ce5ff62f97673.jpeg

Jim - This is just beautiful. What timing you have!  The lighting is exquisite.

On 5/7/2023 at 4:20 PM, Jim_Iain said:

We have been to Ann Frank's home a number of times.   Long before they required reservations.   You use to be able to just walk up and go in.   It is definitely worth a visit. 

On Friday we are going Vienna Philharmonic at Condertgebouw,   Iain had studied music at the Royal Academy and use to play with the BBC Orchestra so is always into Classics.   I don't know the schedule and just show up.    My task is to find a nice place for dinner.   

We will of course take Alex and Evelyn on a Canal Trip - no need to book one in advance just walk up to any instead you want a dinner or drinks experience. 

Not sure of the day but also already have tickets for Keukenhof Tulip Fields -  They should be at their peek as the tulips in Amsterdam are beautiful. 

We may send them to the Museums.    I love them but after awhile get burnt out with museums and churches.  

Jim, if you can, take a 30 min train to Corrie ten Boom in Harlem. A watchmaker that hid a Jewish family. It was the best tour we have been on!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

5/8/2023 - Amsterdam

After taking a day to just relax and vegetate we struck out with an Agenda but no real plan.

In Prep for Alex and Evelyn's arrival we wanted to scope out the city and get a feel for timing to synchronize with our planned activities for their time in Amsterdam.

First up was figuring out how to get to Europaplein where we will need to get on Bus 852 to Keukenhof Tulip Garden

I'm finding that Google Maps works really good for figuring out transport system but difficult for walking directions.   Maybe just me but I find Apple Maps better for walking directions.

From where we are staying the instructions were to walk to .2 Mile to Mercatorplein and Catch Tram 13 to Central Station then Metro 52 Zuid (South) to Europaplein    Sounds easy enough so off we went.

We already had our 7 Day Transit Pass

Rome to Rio is a great app for trying to figure out the best way to get from point a to b!

9 hours ago, Provence55always said:

We use that all the time when traveling it’s really good. You can also cancel your booking at any time without any hassle. Please let us know if you have any spectacular dining experience while in Amsterdam. Have a wonderful stay in Amsterdam your accommodation looks lovely.

Will do .... have a nice place booked for Thursday Night.... will advise after we experience to see if worth the cost.

6 hours ago, haynesra said:

Good to know. We plan on Uber from Airport to Hotel and then use GVB for getting around Amsterdam. Now will plan on the phone app for our 3 day pass.

We bought our rail tickets using the NL App.   You can get a big discount for 2x passengers booked together.  It also used a QR Code and was real easy to just scan at the reader.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, pd7277 said:

Jim - This is just beautiful. What timing you have!  The lighting is exquisite.

It was just a peek of the sun we had yesterday.  Beautiful 68 F but overcast all day with sun breaks.   Today is suppose to be drizzle to rain all day with about 8/10th of an inch. 

4 hours ago, boontj2003 said:

Jim, if you can, take a 30 min train to Corrie ten Boom in Harlem. A watchmaker that hid a Jewish family. It was the best tour we have been on!

Will check it out not sure if time will permit.   Evan a week is too short of a visit.

4 hours ago, boontj2003 said:

Rome to Rio is a great app for trying to figure out the best way to get from point a to b!

I also use it often.    There are so many resources now.   Showing my age but remember having to buy a Thomas Cook European Train Schedule and look up point A to Point B.   Trains were never on time.

Very impressed with the rail and transportation system in Europe and wish we had something 10% as good in San Francisco Bay Area.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, boontj2003 said:

Haarlem in general makes a lovely afternoon out. I’m sure you would find lots of photogenic doors there. Lots of great restaurants too. Many foodies come out from Amsterdam to eat there. Bookings are a must at the weekends. We enjoyed BastiJan ( uses seasonal products) and De Lachende  Javaan ( Indonesian).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Jim and Iain,

I enjoyed meeting you in the Retreat Lounge. It's nice to put a face with your posts. I have been reading your posts for awhile. I enjoy them and have received a lot of good information from you. I especially like your great photos. I take photos of doors too - Europe has the best doors! I hope you enjoy Amsterdam and time with your family and  that the weather clears up for you. It was raining when we left Amsterdam today.

Wishing you smooth sailing on the next leg of your wonderful journey.

Deb