Best ways to use Concierge service?

bigAWL

10 hours ago, Tina99 said:

As someone else above replied, I booked Concierge for my upcoming cruise because it was offered at a much lower cost than Veranda.  Maybe someone currently onboard or soon to cruise who is booked in a CC cabin could actually ask the Concierge what they could best do for their guests that extend the service beyond stateroom attendant.  

You do realise that the replies are from people who are experienced cruisers and know what the concierge does!! They are not like a stateroom attendant read the posts

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I've gathered the following examples of things that Concierge can help with...

• Dining reservations and changes
  • Print boarding passes
  • Tender tickets
  • Help with problems
  • Help with Guest Services issues with a shorter line

Just now, I actually found the Concierge description in my app.  Here's what it says:

• Deck 7 Midship (Eclipse)
  • Times: 8am - 8pm
  • "When our Concierge class guests have questions - not only about our ship, but about upcoming ports and more - we're here to answer each and every one of them so your journey is truly exceptional."

All this is more than I had in mind, which was pretty much limited to dining.  So I appreciate all you seasoned cruisers who came to share your experiences. 

Can anyone confirm whether other reservations are appropriate, such as excursions, spa, and other onboard activities?  Can anyone here offer an example of a question that was answered about upcoming ports (that sounds helpful)?  Or any "problems" that were resolved by the Concierge?  

Any examples of something that was asked for that was denied or redirected?

Points, cabin location/size and the embarkation lunch.

Pre-Covid an invitation to a helipad sailaway was a thing at the discretion of the Concierge/whoevers discretion. Might not hurt to mention the awesomeness of a helipad sailaway when you have a chat with the Concierge. :classic_happy:

• Like 2

Excursions, spa, specialty restaurants etc. reservations  must be made by you. This "concierge" is for all classes of cabins, except suites, which have their own butlers and concierges. They are more for general questions about the ship, ports and available services on board. 

17 hours ago, FreestyleNovice said:

Pre-Covid an invitation to a helipad sailaway was a thing at the discretion of the Concierge/whoevers discretion. Might not hurt to mention the awesomeness of a helipad sailaway when you have a chat with the Concierge. 

I do believe it is also post-covid as I received one on my Sept 2022 sailing on Infinity. Drinks were served.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, 39august said:

Excursions, spa, specialty restaurants etc. reservations  must be made by you. This "concierge" is for all classes of cabins, except suites, which have their own butlers and concierges. They are more for general questions about the ship, ports and available services on board. 

So nothing that requires a charge to your account, perhaps?  Maybe cancelations?

I do keep hearing that the concierge is there for all guests (except suites), and that's what my TA said too.  I understand and I'm fine with that.  But I'm curious if that is in writing somewhere that I'm missing?  Maybe an un-advertised policy/practice?  Maybe that's what the Concierge tells people?  How does everyone know this?  Because the only mention of Concierge services I can find on the Celebrity website is related to Concierge Class.

Concierge? Where? Tried to call her twice on the silhouette last year with no success.

As others have said, unless you’re looking for the CC points or a specific location on the ship it’s a waste of money.

Oh, and the lunch on embarkation day? Very average.

Rather go to the buffet and enjoy the views outside!

• Like 2

Don t expect too much of the concierge.  They now have limited desk hours (certainly not between 8 am and 8 pm, more like 10am to 12 am or 3pm to 5 pm on our sailing) and are not really available by phone either.  Post Covid the Concierge took on additional different responsibilities and can not spend a lot of time on the Concierge job. I had a question on the next port and waited 20 min for my turn.  Then she took about 10 min to google a map of the town center, printed it out to hand to me and that was the extent of her knowledge and assistance.

We only booked a CC cabin because of location and it was very little $ more, otherwise it is not worth it.

Edited by odysee

I know this is not a specific service provided by the concierge for concierge class guests, but I do like the sparkling wine upon request. Yea it's nothing special, but I still like the little touch.

The "Concierge" is now part of a 3 person team.  The Captains Club Concierge,  Concierge and event planner.  They seem to have made all 3 positions very generic where any warm body will do.   They do try hard but it doesn't seem that they get much training or support from corporate.

Edited by wrk2cruise

8 hours ago, bigAWL said:

I do keep hearing that the concierge is there for all guests (except suites), and that's what my TA said too.  I understand and I'm fine with that.  But I'm curious if that is in writing somewhere that I'm missing?  Maybe an un-advertised policy/practice?  Maybe that's what the Concierge tells people?  How does everyone know this?  Because the only mention of Concierge services I can find on the Celebrity website is related to Concierge Class.

At least on the Celebrity ships that I have sailed (Solstice and Millennium), the concierge sits at a wooden desk that overlooks the atrium on one of the upper stateroom decks.  The physical set up makes the concierge very approachable, and as an Aqua class passenger, we stopped by and asked a quick question (and he invited us to sit while he researched the answer).  It was all very pleasant, and we appreciated his time (there were no other passengers that he was assisting when we stopped by).

As for why the concierge would assist a passenger who isn't in the Concierge Class stateroom (like when I asked him a question), well probably because the concierge work in hospitality, and generally speaking, they want to help all passengers who approach them.  Unlike the Retreat Concierge, or the Retreat Butlers who are strictly responsible for their small suite population of passengers, the Concierge Level person on duty, is limited in their scope.  For example, a Retreat Concierge would have a better chance getting one of their passengers a dinner reservation for the day and time they want at an already fully booked specialty restaurant.  I would guess that the same inquiry from the on-duty Concierge Class staffer would be met by a, "oh, we are so sorry, we are fully booked that evening"..  When you think about it, those passengers who paid more for their suite, have more perks than the rest of us.  No one begrudges them, it's just understood.

4 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

The "Concierge" is now part of a 3 person team.  The Captains Club Concierge,  Concierge and event planner.  They seem to have made all 3 positions very generic where any warm body will do.   They do try hard but it doesn't seem that they get much training or support from corporate.

We saw this on our last cruise, Constellation.  I asked for the Event Planner and was directed to the Captains Club desk at Guest Relations which had the three headed team doing it all--Captains Club Host, Concierge, and Event Planner.  What they lacked in experience, they made up for with enthusiasm. 

I wanted to set up a Cruise Critic luncheon for our Constellation cruise roll call members--something the Event Planner usually takes care of.  The three headed Concierge Team had no idea what I was asking for (lack of experience) so I had to explain it to them.  With the onboard staffing shortage, I conceded that it was probably a very big ask that it will probably be denied.  One of them said that they are trained to never say "no" to a guest and that they would look into it and promised me that they would keep me up to date which they did (that's the youthful enthusiasm part).  In the end they put me in contact with the MDR maitre d' and the luncheon was arranged for us.

image.thumb.jpeg.9aded35cb72da2f6712886a7c9402e4a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1498d93629fc879793989a1da392a077.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

Weve been cruising since 2015 in concierge class and did not even realise there was a concierge!  We just thought they were the same as the room attendant

I  have always organised our own excursions, mainly because Celebrity can not,  and booked our own dining, so, I  can not see what they could do for us.

7 hours ago, JiggeryPokery said:

Weve been cruising since 2015 in concierge class and did not even realise there was a concierge!  We just thought they were the same as the room attendant

I  have always organised our own excursions, mainly because Celebrity can not,  and booked our own dining, so, I  can not see what they could do for us.

This is why I started the thread... and I learned quite a bit.  It would seem the bottom line is that they are more or less an extension of guest services.  They'll try to help you directly or do their best to point you in the right direction... if they are available.

• Thanks 1

On 4/12/2023 at 7:10 AM, cruisegirlppp said:

You can ask your Concierge to have a cheese plate instead of the usual afternoon canapés; if you request crackers they will most likely be saltines. After a few days of that you can ask him to cancel the whole thing!

LoL - thank you for the morning laugh.  #truth

🛳enJOY

• Haha 1

On 4/11/2023 at 2:16 PM, Cruise till you drop said:

Friends of ours travelled with us (they had Concierge and we did not) and they didn’t feel like they got much value.  The only things they experienced was a Concierge lunch which was on embarkation day and too over 2 hours and some snacks delivered to their room during the cruise.

And at that the snacks were meh.  Some were, "what is this slop?"  Definitely not X's culinsary standard.  We go to Alaska again in May 24 and we will tell our steward to skip the canapes. 

• Like 1

On 4/12/2023 at 12:10 PM, cruisegirlppp said:

You can ask your Concierge to have a cheese plate instead of the usual afternoon canapés; if you request crackers they will most likely be saltines. After a few days of that you can ask him to cancel the whole thing!

Saltines aside, we do like cheese.  Is this an actual option, and is the cheese offering better than the canapes?

2 hours ago, bigAWL said:

Saltines aside, we do like cheese.  Is this an actual option, and is the cheese offering better than the canapes?

Yes, it is, just ask your cabin steward. IMHO the  canopies are sort of awful so you may enjoy the cheese plate more.