Did Princess do away with the Elite discount on internet?

butternut1

Hello everyone. The title to my post asks my question. Hubby and I sailed a couple months ago and as elite passengers we got a discount on internet. We purchased the internet pkg. on the app. and it automatically gave us the 50% off for being elite. The regular price for internet for the 14 days was $140.00 and with the discount we only paid $70.00 for one device. We have just booked another cruise and attempted to purchase the internet through the app again and the price shows NO discount for being elite and a price of $210.00 for one device. That means that even if there is a 50% discount, the price from our just completed cruise to this cruise has gone up from $140.00 regular price to $210.00. Does anyone know if Princess has done away with the discount for elites? Thanks so much..

Check and make sure the app still shows you as elite. This happened to me and that was the problem. Look at the little sea witch logo next to your profile picture. It should be black; if it’s not then then during some upgrade or something it switched your status and you’ll have to get it fixed. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, butternut1 said:

Hello everyone. The title to my post asks my question. Hubby and I sailed a couple months ago and as elite passengers we got a discount on internet. We purchased the internet pkg. on the app. and it automatically gave us the 50% off for being elite. The regular price for internet for the 14 days was $140.00 and with the discount we only paid $70.00 for one device. We have just booked another cruise and attempted to purchase the internet through the app again and the price shows NO discount for being elite and a price of $210.00 for one device. That means that even if there is a 50% discount, the price from our just completed cruise to this cruise has gone up from $140.00 regular price to $210.00. Does anyone know if Princess has done away with the discount for elites? Thanks so much..

you did not say how long the new cruise is for.  If it is 14 days then 210 is full price for 1 device.  The discounted price should be $105.  The new per day rates for Internet is 15 for 1 device and 40 for 4.  With the discount that means 7.50 and 20 respectively.  

Check the color of the icon in the profile area of the medallion app.  Makes sure it is black.  There is a problem that some have encountered where the medallion shows incorrect status when you are off ship and as a result does not apply the correct discount.

We (Elite also) were on the Regal last month for 14 days (booked as two 7 day cruises).  Purchased internet on the day we boarded.  Was charged $105 for the 14 days which was $7.50 a day.  Regular price for internet is $15 a day.  

Prior to I believe the end of February prices for internet did increase from  $10 per day and for Elites it was $5 per day.  This would work out to be $70 for 14 days which is what you said you paid for the earlier cruise..

Edited by coo359a2

15 minutes ago, pompeii said:

Check and make sure the app still shows you as elite. This happened to me and that was the problem. Look at the little sea witch logo next to your profile picture. It should be black; if it’s not then then during some upgrade or something it switched your status and you’ll have to get it fixed. 

You are absolutely correct. For some reason the sea witch logo is no longer black indicating that we are not elite. Problem solved. Thank you so much!!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the replies. I really do appreciate each one. The internet prices have obviously gone up from our February cruise. 😵 The problem that we were not getting the 50% off for the internet for elites is because somehow on the app it does not show us as being elite any longer. We need to fix that and then should be good to go. We just need to figure out who to contact to make this change.  Thanks again!!

Edited by butternut1
added some information

28 minutes ago, butternut1 said:

Thanks everyone for the replies. I really do appreciate each one. The internet prices have obviously gone up from our February cruise. 😵 The problem that we were not getting the 50% off for the internet for elites is because somehow on the app it does not show us as being elite any longer. We need to fix that and then should be good to go. We just need to figure out who to contact to make this change.  Thanks again!!

I used this email and they helped me.  A360ad7@carnival.com.  I gave my Princess member number, name, booking number, and DOB in the email and told them I had a loyalty level conflict in the app.

Others have said they were able to call and get it fixed, but I tried that for months and they never did anything.  YMMV

41 minutes ago, butternut1 said:

I wouldn't bother pre-ordering MedallionNet any longer.  Here's why:

1. There is no longer any benefit to this as the pricing is now the same on board as pre-cruise (used to be more if you waited).

2. If you order on board, it is charged to your on-board account and any OBC you have pays for it.

3. There have been multiple reports on this forum that guests are finding the 4-device charge on board is $30, instead of the reported $40 (or presumably it is $40 in the Princess App???).  No guarantee this will last and could be a mistake, but you could get just one 4-device package instead of two single-device packages for same dollar cost and have more flexibility.

4. No worries about the App bug that doesn't recognize correct CC Member Level.

To sum up, there is nothing to lose by waiting and perhaps benefits to you to wait until day 1 on the ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

1. There is no longer any benefit to this as the pricing is now the same on board as pre-cruise (used to be more if you waited).

2. If you order on board, it is charged to your on-board account and any OBC you have pays for it.

3. There have been multiple reports on this forum that guests are finding the 4-device charge on board is $30, instead of the reported $40 (or presumably it is $40 in the Princess App???).  No guarantee this will last and could be a mistake, but you could get just one 4-device package instead of two single-device packages for same dollar cost and have more flexibility.

To sum up, there is nothing to lose by waiting and perhaps benefits to you to wait until day 1 on the ship.

I believe that they got the price of $30 during period right around the pricing change, not so much now that we are into April.

16 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Agreed and especially in our case when we have no need for internet first few days especially if cruise begins on a weekend

23 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Do you need to sign up at Internet cafe ie when it’s staffed? This is our first cruise without free Elite wifi so I plan only to buy a day here or there.

5 minutes ago, remydiva said:

Do you need to sign up at Internet cafe ie when it’s staffed? This is our first cruise without free Elite wifi so I plan only to buy a day here or there.

Since you only want to buy 1 or 2 days of internet, I would sign up at the Internet Cafe and have someone walk me through the steps to only buy 1 day at a time.  Can't remember what the daily rate is as I have never done that.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, remydiva said:

In theory, you can do it self-serve.  Just connect and look at the offers.  Hopefully, single day is there.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This question probably shows my general ignorance, but I'm taking a laptop - my 'one device'. Am I still entitled to use a terminal in the Internet cafe occasionally (I'll bet the connection is better!), or would that count as another device?

13 minutes ago, NVanHiker said:

This question probably shows my general ignorance, but I'm taking a laptop - my 'one device'. Am I still entitled to use a terminal in the Internet cafe occasionally (I'll bet the connection is better!), or would that count as another device?

As long as you log off one device you can then use another. The only requirement is to n logged on to one device at a time

• Like 2

On 4/11/2023 at 1:39 PM, Steelers36 said:

2 questions: per day price / is elite discount still applicable when buying by the day? I might just need 6 days on a 21 day cruise (5 + 16 b2b)

Yes I could Google it but that returned a per day cost of $9.99 & that's wrong

Edited by Ombud