Questions on Bullet Train

mj_holiday

We are taking a cruise out of Tokyo next year with a pre-cruise "Vibrant Tokyo"  Comments I have read so far are making me wonder?

Anyway, we want to ride on a bullet train.  So right now our choice is go in a day early prior to the pre-cruise and take a train to and from a city ( I have a map of the train routes).  Or we can ditch one day of the pre-cruise and take a train ride during one of these days.

What I am really looking for are any hints or lessons learned on taking a bullet train.  From reading what I have found on the web, it seems fairly simple, but you never know.

We've travelled widely around Japan using the railways, always with a JR pass rather than individual tickets.  However, when our Regent ship docked in Osaka some years ago (2013!) we found the station, bought tickets and rode down into the city centre for the evening (and back!)  Signs are generally in English, there are people who will be glad to help and with a good idea of where you want to go and how long you have to go and come back, you will have no difficulty, I'm sure.  Travel is safe, clean and comfortable.

My suggestion would be to keep it simple.  Maybe you can identify a train on which you'd like to ride (there are some spectacular designs! eg the Hayabusa bright blue bullet train) and just travel a few stops on that, never mind where it's going to?  Or perhaps you'd prefer to aim for a specific destination?  Either way, you will probably want to reserve seats the day before in the travel office at the station where the staff will be very helpful indeed.  If you have a seat number, then you'll know exactly where to stand on the platform, for the train will arrive at exactly the correct spot and the doors will open for you.  Look for the details - the station master waving goodbye, the cleaning staff saluting the train before they leave and the driver, who will greet his train when it arrives ready for service.

Can you tell we love it all?  Every. Last. Bit.  (Nearly as much as arriving and leaving on a cruise ship!)

Oh and if you're in Tokyo, have a go on the Yamanote line, the circular "subway train".  Go in rush hour and be squeezed into the space left, or leave it till later and hear the little identifying tune played as it arrives at each station, do a bit of people watching along the way!  It's all great fun.

(Here's an account of a day out on the train from Tokyo, pre-cruise on board Mariner in 2019 when we spent a week independently with a JR pass

Catching the train — An Elegant Sufficiency )

Edited by Gilly
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, mj_holiday said:

What I am really looking for are any hints or lessons learned on taking a bullet train.  From reading what I have found on the web, it seems fairly simple, but you never know.

It’s simple and well sign posted in the station - remember the Shinkansen (Bullet train) runs on its own special tracks that support the speed and offer a very smooth ride

You can catch the Shinkansen between Tokyo and Yokohama if you just want to experience it 

Certainly not worth purchasing a JR Pass for that journey - just buy a ticket at the station beforehand - you might want to take the Green car (first class)although it’s only a short journey 

Since you are doing the Vibrant Tokyo tour you have two full days with only 1/2 day of tours.  The tour IMO are NOT very exciting and are typical tourist sites which will likely be crowded during Sakura season.

My suggestion would be a private or small group tour either using tours by locals guide or recommended trip advisor tour that leaves from Tokyo and has a Shinkansen as part of the transport.

The best tour IMO would be to Hakone.  Most amazing place, only issue depends on when you go as to the weather.

Here is an example...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductReview-g14133673-d15180540-Mt_Fuji_and_Hakone_1_Day_Bus_Tour_return_by_Bullet_Train_Shinkansen-Nishishinjuk.html

We went from Tokyo to Kyoto and it was great. For a very reasonable price they will ship your suitcases from one hotel to the other, which is a must if you’re on a long trip with luggage.

On 4/12/2023 at 2:27 PM, mj_holiday said:

We are taking a cruise out of Tokyo next year with a pre-cruise "Vibrant Tokyo"  Comments I have read so far are making me wonder?

Anyway, we want to ride on a bullet train.  So right now our choice is go in a day early prior to the pre-cruise and take a train to and from a city ( I have a map of the train routes).  Or we can ditch one day of the pre-cruise and take a train ride during one of these days.

You really need to be  several days early and take the bullet train to Kyoto and Nara they include the very best ancient sites in Japan ...be sure to include Golden Pavillion 

1 hour ago, phillipahain said:

You really need to be  several days early and take the bullet train to Kyoto and Nara they include the very best historic sites in Japan ...be sure to include Golden Pavillion 

That is exactly what we did. Kyoto needs at least an over night. Also use a taxi for a DIY or a local guide for private tours. Read about the sites and pick those that are most interesting to you. We have been to Kyoto twice and Nara once…..not to be missed and you get a Bullet train ride in the bargain!

Japan is easy to do without being herded around with 40-50 other people… there is so much to see. See what you want to at your own pace. You are spending a lot of money and time to get there. A good map from the tourist center and google translate on your phone will see you though. Trains have English signage and if you look a little lost someone will stop and help you. The Japanese are very kind and helpful.

Frist time we went to Japan we spent a week traveling by train. We stayed in Kyoto and did day trips from there to Nara, Osaka, Himenji (one of a few that was not destroyed), Hiroshima (for the “A” Done and Peace Park and the Hall of Remembrance) and Miyajima Island (for the Tori Gate and dinner at an Okonomamiaki place for a pancake like dish). It is 190 some miles from Kyoto to Hiroshima…-1.5 hours at 129 mph with three stops. We used the bullet train and local trains and just bought tickets when we wanted to travel. We used the subways and taxi to get around in the cities. Pre Covid the JTB provided a ton of information and walking tour maps. We used the Hotel card and had the hotel write the places we wanted to visit in Japanese to be sure we could get where we wanted.

• Like 2

On 4/12/2023 at 8:27 AM, mj_holiday said:

See my pist above about our week in Kyoto and traveling out from there. Should have copied your post since it was for your information.

On 4/14/2023 at 10:31 PM, alainciao said:

JPR, that's very interesting.  We are Marriott fans.  Was your trip with Marriott hotels, or, do you think all hotels do this?  Thanks.

All hotels do it. It's common in Japan to ship baggage as there is virtually no baggage space on the Shinkansens. Your hotel should be able to advise you how to do it.