Extraordinary Savings Sale

Flatbush Flyer

Every once in awhile, there’s temporary O prices so low that they don’t show on the O web (this is in addition to the rotating TA “quiet sales.”

One of those times is going on right now. If you look on the O website and click on the Extraordinary Savings banner, you’ll see a whole bunch of remaining 2023 cruises on “the list.” 
I saw one of my current bookings on the list and, while checking on an out-of-the-blue <$200 O refund that just appeared on my credit card account, asked the O rep to look up the current price for my cabin class (since I had originally booked it onboard and, even transferring it to my TA, I have the price drop match guarantee!

In checking, the agent said “only cabin availability is in C and below and the savings are huge” (and they are- like >$1k/pp for a C on a 3 week cruise).

Since we’re in a higher cabin level and don’t want to move, that’s the end of the new deal for me. Yes, there’s that pesky Book Onboard “price drop match” fine print that requires cabin availability in your class in order for the price match to be OK.

In any case, there may be some of you who are still looking for a 2023 cruise. So, you may want to check out the “Extraordinary Savings” list now on the O website. However, to get the sale price (which is not listed), you’ll need to call your TA or O direct.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Every once in awhile, there’s temporary O prices so low that they don’t show on the O web (this is in addition to the rotating TA “quiet sales.”

One of those times is going on right now. If you look on the O website and click on the Extraordinary Savings banner, you’ll see a whole bunch of remaining 2023 cruises on “the list.” 
I saw one of my current bookings on the list and, while checking on an out-of-the-blue <$200 O refund that just appeared on my credit card account, asked the O rep to look up the current price for my cabin class (since I had originally booked it onboard and, even transferring it to my TA, I have the price drop match guarantee!

In checking, the agent said “only cabin availability is in C and below and the savings are huge” (and they are- like >$1k/pp for a C on a 3 week cruise).

Since we’re in a higher cabin level and don’t want to move, that’s the end of the new deal for me. Yes, there’s that pesky Book Onboard “price drop match” fine print that requires cabin availability in your class in order for the price match to be OK.

In any case, there may be some of you who are still looking for a 2023 cruise. So, you may want to check out the “Extraordinary Savings” list now on the O website. However, to get the sale price (which is not listed), you’ll need to call your TA or O direct.

27 minutes ago, ORV said:

The bigger question is why are they having to discount cruises so much?

Looking at some of the list, it just looks like they’re trying to fill up the leftovers. I did check out one that had B availability and, as expected, it was the last aft cabin port side (which, if I remember correctly, is partially obstructed by the window washing trolley).

The cabin category that is discounted varies wildly depending on the sailing. There are some nice itineraries in N. Europe and elsewhere that have the sale-suites less than oceanviews! These are the ~40% off sale numbers I was referencing a few weeks ago.

Where are the SALE PRICES shown? I must be missing the "sale" part. Looking at Trieste (Venice) to Athens. Only cabins available are A3 and up. YET the prices I'm seeing are the same. No discount prices shown.

Since both of our late 2023 cruises were listed, I did immediately call my O rep direct and she upgraded both segments of our B2B on Riviera:

- F to A3 for only an additional $285 PP with $300 SBC for gratuities.

- B4 to B3 saving $500 PP on the cabin with $300 SBC for gratuities

And that saving for the B3 came from an already low 2022 Memorial Day cabin-upgrade sale!

My wife elated. She was nervous about the Inside F.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Where are the SALE PRICES shown? I must be missing the "sale" part. Looking at Trieste (Venice) to Athens. Only cabins available are A3 and up. YET the prices I'm seeing are the same. No discount prices shown.

Read the header on the specific cruise on the list. It says “call TA or O for prices.”

1 minute ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Read the header on the specific cruise on the list. It says “call TA or O for prices.”

I did. I didn't wait for a response. Already made both upgrades for the 2023 B2B. Saving a small fortune on better cabins, too! 🙂

1 minute ago, MEFIowa said:

Since both of our late 2023 cruises were listed, I did immediately call my O rep direct and she upgraded both segments of our B2B on Riviera:

- F to A3 for only an additional $285 PP with $300 SBC for gratuities.

- B4 to B3 saving $500 PP on the cabin with $300 SBC for gratuities

And that saving for the B3 came from an already low 2022 Memorial Day cabin-upgrade sale!

My wife elated. She was nervous about the Inside F.

You should now see if the rebook(?) starts the 30 day transfer clock and then move the booking to a good O savvy TA who shares commissions.

Just off Sirena.   We had a flyer of these discounted cruises sent to our stateroom twice at turndown.  There were some amazing deals on there.   Unfortunately, we have our plans already tied down for the rest of 2023. 

It appears you have to call your agent to get the actual price - as these are not the prices I remember from the flyer on the O website.  Wish I had kept the flyer with the actual prices....

Example -

20 night Singapore to Dubai

and

20 night Dubai to Barcelona

For a Deluxe Oceanview these two cruises were listed at around $3000 per person for each leg.   Something I would have jumped on in a heartbeat if I had the vacation time (or I was retired)....

Joe

Edited by JoePDX

Just now, MEFIowa said:

I did. I didn't wait for a response. Already made both upgrades for the 2023 B2B. Saving a small fortune on better cabins, too! 🙂

You faired better than me. I only found one booked cruise that qualified and the only cabin availability was C and below. Not willing to give up the veranda.

25 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You should now see if the rebook(?) starts the 30 day transfer clock and then move the booking to a good O savvy TA who shares commissions.

Since we've already got our trip insurance, airfare and our excursions (we do cruise only) and now have this SBC to pay our gratuities, not seeing much incentive to try a TA. The one time I contacted a "mega-O" TA with such a situation, they weren't interested in my business. I have no desire to be upsold anything, since I've got it all set up as I want it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Just when I thought I had my day all planned out.  Thanks a bunch, I guess my high grass is going to have to wait.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Any Alaska or west coast cruises?

Just go their web site and see what all they've got. Saw some LA to LA cruises but I didn't look at itineraries, since I was laser-focused on my B2B cruise in the Med.

Just now, MEFIowa said:

Since we've already got our trip insurance, airfare and our excursions (we do cruise only) and now have this SBC to pay our gratuities, not seeing much incentive to try a TA. The one time I contacted a "mega-O" TA with such a situation, they weren't interested in my business. I have no desire to be upsold anything, since I've got it all set up as I want it.

But the right TA could probably cover your gratuities AND commission share at about 5-10% of the commissionable fare.

Next time you’re onboard an O ship, ask fellow passengers which TA they use. Eventually, you’ll realize that your hearing roughly the same six agencies mentioned over and over again. At least call them and ask what they can add to O’s deal for a new booking or one you may transfer within the 30 day window after you make a direct booking.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

But the right TA could probably cover your gratuities AND commission share at about 5-10% of the commissionable fare.

Next time you’re onboard an O ship, ask fellow passengers which TA they use. Eventually, you’ll realize that your hearing roughly the same six agencies mentioned over and over again. At least call them and ask what they can add to O’s deal for a new booking or one you may transfer within the 30 day window after you make a direct booking.

I have. And as I said I did call one of the "mega-O" TA company. They didn't want to deal with cruise-only sale fare type like us that didn't want anything else. My wife loves to "hunt" for airfares and excursions so we do that ourselves (done), we bring our own alcohol on board, and only want to use O $ to pay off the gratuity, which happens here for us in the sale, too. So all done.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

But the right TA could probably cover your gratuities AND commission share at about 5-10% of the commissionable fare. Next time you’re onboard an O ship, ask fellow passengers which TA they use. 

And just to be fair to you, the funny thing is my wife and I are NOT "cruisers". I HATE sea days. I cruise to go to ports and do excursions. Our next cruise, a B2B, scheduled for 18 ports and only 2 sea days. My kind of cruise. We're off the ship as soon as we can and I'm ONLY back on the absolute last minute I can. They bring the gangplank back up when I board!

Our 1st cruise was W. Caribbean 12/2021. Never go back. Then one was E. Caribbean 11/2022. Never go back. We have both the E. & W. Med as our B2B (from Istanbul all the way to Barcelona, geographically speaking). One and done for us. Then the Baltic in late 2024, booked the day it opened in 2022 and later did cabin-upgrade sale. Still watching that one, but it is NOT on this sale (I asked the O rep). But another one and done. (No interest in a cruise for places like England, France, Holland, Portugal, or Spain

I did my own 2022 major magical history tour of Paraguay. Two entire weeks there and we (my tour operator with dedicated guide on guided days) drove over 2000 KM and saw so much of that nation!). Paraguayans can't believe what all I saw and did. From deep in the Chaco Desert to the swamps of Neembucu and the yerba fields near Encarnacion.

AFTER the Baltic, I only want to do:

1. Madagascar, Mozambique, Tanzania, and parts of the Indian Ocean. But that isn't really done by cruising, at least not what ALL I want to see and do in Madagascar alone!

2. And then the other one is Guyana, Suriname and Fr. Guiana.

No cruising for either. I'm VERY particular about what I want to see and do.

So I expect we may be DONE with cruising come 9/2024. After 5 cruises.

6 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

And just to be fair to you, the funny thing is my wife and I are NOT "cruisers". I HATE sea days. I cruise to go to ports and do excursions. Our next cruise, a B2B, scheduled for 18 ports and only 2 sea days. My kind of cruise. We're off the ship as soon as we can and I'm ONLY back on the absolute last minute I can. They bring the gangplank back up when I board!

Our 1st cruise was W. Caribbean 12/2021. Never go back. Then one was E. Caribbean 11/2022. Never go back. We have both the E. & W. Med as our B2B (from Istanbul all the way to Barcelona, geographically speaking). One and done for us. Then the Baltic in late 2024, booked the day it opened in 2022 and later did cabin-upgrade sale. Still watching that one, but it is NOT on this sale (I asked the O rep). But another one and done. (No interest in a cruise for places like England, France, Holland, Portugal, or Spain

I did my own 2022 major magical history tour of Paraguay. Two entire weeks there and we (my tour operator with dedicated guide on guided days) drove over 2000 KM and saw so much of that nation!). Paraguayans can't believe what all I saw and did. From deep in the Chaco Desert to the swamps of Neembucu and the yerba fields near Encarnacion.

AFTER the Baltic, I only want to do:

1. Madagascar, Mozambique, Tanzania, and parts of the Indian Ocean. But that isn't really done by cruising, at least not what ALL I want to see and do in Madagascar alone!

2. And then the other one is Guyana, Suriname and Fr. Guiana.

No cruising for either. I'm VERY particular about what I want to see and do.

So I expect we may be DONE with cruising come 9/2024. After 5 cruises.

I agree with many of your “one and done” items. For example, I find that, when it comes to the Caribbean, there’s just “no there there.”  It’s mostly scrubby islands that pale in comparison to the best Pacific and Indian Ocean exotics. And the proliferation of mega-ship floating amusement parks has turned it into a Walmart parking lot. Folks who want “exotic” need to head to Hawaii, Polynesia, the Maldives….

And, as you point out, there are many locations worthy of far more than the half day drop-in on a cruise. That said, however, is why we carefully choose itinerary starts/ends so that we can add extended land stays in different location at each end. Itineraries like Cape Town (following a Safari) to London or New York (with a West End/Broadway binge) fits our bill perfectly. Rounding the Horn in South America with added land time at the start/end in Brazil and Peru is excellent too.

Where I differ with you is on the topic of sea days. We like long cruises of mostly 3-6 weeks  and there must be adequate sea days to break up the numerous full days of touring. We also appreciate that, in recent years, O has added many more overnights in key ports including some two night stays in places like Hong Kong and Reykjavik.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Thank you so much. We were able to get a great deal for one of these today!

Thank you Flatbush Flyer for the heads up.

We are newbies to Oceania.

Does this apply to cruises after final payment?

I have the Reykjavik to New York booked and it is listed in the Extraordinary Savings.

What I see for the A1 I have booked is +2,000 Cdn above what I paid.

Should I bother to call Oceania?