Newbie Questions

Aubriee01

Newbie cruisers with a few questions.  Sailing Carnival, out of Galveston, January '24 on a 14 day Panama cruise.  Seven shore days. Plan to snorkel, zipline, climb waterfalls, explore Mayan ruins, have a beach day, and do some sightseeing both on land and by boat.

1.  Booked a balcony Cove room.  Good choice?

2.  Will be driving  to the port from east Texas (about a 4 1/2 hour drive).  Would you just drive it that morning  or would it be better to go down the day before and spend the night in a hotel and go to the port the next morning?  

3.  How do you pack for a 14 day cruise?  Would like to pack light, but want to have everything we need. With the activities we are doing, what would you pack?

4. How many bags for tours?  I was thinking a very small backpack for exploring and sightseeing, then a beach tote to use as a carryon for embarkation, to use around the pool, and for snorkeling/beach days (using just the small backpack all other days)?

5.  I'm a diabetic. My blood sugar drops at the most inconvenient times, no matter what I do to prepare.  I plan to carry some prepackaged snacks.  Would it be a problem to quietly eat them during a tour?  I would hate to have my snack in front of some hungry kid. lol  How to handle the situation?

6.  Anyone familiar with the Galveston port?  My son will be off both the day we embark and the day we come home and has said he would drop us off and pick us up.  Where would he need to park long enough to do so?

We enjoyed our cove balcony on the Dream.  
Pack for 7 days and do laundry one or two times.  Carnival Dream has self service laundries.  It beats lugging multiple suitcases.  You might take your own detergent pods and dryer sheets, as you would be paying for those as well as the machines.

I would make one packable backpack do for both occasions.  
Many of us are diabetic and carry snacks.  It’s not a problem.

For information about departure ports, there is a board here called North American Homeports, and under that you would choose Gulf Coast Departures.

Since your questions involve a Carnival cruise, and I’m sure you will have many more,  I’m going to ask the mods to move this thread to the Carnival board.  EM

I'll provide a different opinion to Essiemom's packing advice.  If you are driving to port, then luggage weight and size becomes kind of a non-issue.  I would pack everything I need for the entire trip cruise, even if it meant more than one bag.  Though, we frequently pack for a 2-week trip in one (large) suitcase each and still have unused clothes.   Doing laundry while on vacation?  Forget about it.   

Driving the morning of?  We have done 6 hour drives the morning of the embarkation several times.  Worked fine, but I would say it would always be better from a relaxation standpoint to drive down the day before.  These days, being more age advantages, and if it were just me and Mrs Ldubs, I would opt for driving the day before.    

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Aubriee01 said:

Newbie cruisers with a few questions.  Sailing Carnival, out of Galveston, January '24 on a 14 day Panama cruise.  Seven shore days. Plan to snorkel, zipline, climb waterfalls, explore Mayan ruins, have a beach day, and do some sightseeing both on land and by boat.

2.  Will be driving  to the port from east Texas (about a 4 1/2 hour drive).  Would you just drive it that morning  or would it be better to go down the day before and spend the night in a hotel and go to the port the next morning?  

3.  How do you pack for a 14 day cruise?  Would like to pack light, but want to have everything we need. With the activities we are doing, what would you pack?

4. How many bags for tours?  I was thinking a very small backpack for exploring and sightseeing, then a beach tote to use as a carryon for embarkation, to use around the pool, and for snorkeling/beach days (using just the small backpack all other days)?

5.  I'm a diabetic. My blood sugar drops at the most inconvenient times, no matter what I do to prepare.  I plan to carry some prepackaged snacks.  Would it be a problem to quietly eat them during a tour?  I would hate to have my snack in front of some hungry kid. lol  How to handle the situation?

6.  Anyone familiar with the Galveston port?  My son will be off both the day we embark and the day we come home and has said he would drop us off and pick us up.  Where would he need to park long enough to do so?

I would recommend arriving in Galveston 1 night prior to the cruise. 

A myriad of things can happen as you are en route to Galveston and starting off your cruise with stress is no fun at all. 

Pack for one week.  Budget funds so that you can send clothes out to be cleaned while onboard the ship. 

Don't ever hesitate to eat whatever you need to and whenever you need to with your diabetic condition. 

The Galveston port (and every port) is very busy and chaotic. 

Dropoff:  Meet up for breakfast and visit, and then have him drop you off at the ship. 

Pickup:  you are texting him as you are disembarking the ship.  He drives up and picks you up.

Similar to a 'cell phone lot' experience at an airport. 

🛳enJOY 

I would second driving down the day before.  It makes for a much more enjoyable drive when you can stop halfways through for a leisurely lunch, and then check in to your hotel early evening, and go for a nice dinner somewhere.

As for packing - if you are driving, you can pack a large suitcase, and have enough clothes for 2 weeks.  There will be plenty of space to store them.

It seems we are on the same cruise. Be sure to check the roll call. 

I always drive down the day before. Houston often has lanes closed for road work and accidents. It's always something. I sign up for the earliest time to board and have lunch. If you get stuck for a extra 2 hours the day of boarding imagine your stress level and worry if you will make it on time. They have been working on widening roads especially south of houston and closing lanes forever.

On 4/15/2023 at 1:07 AM, Aubriee01 said:

Number one rule from savvy cruisers: Drive/fly at least one day prior to the cruise.  Not only are you allowing yourself extra time in case of unforeseen circumstances (car issues, traffic, accidents), you will arrive in Galveston to relax, get a good night sleep, and then be rested, refreshed and ready to enjoy your cruise without stress. Remember that, if for some reason you don’t make your departure time, either you will have completely missed your vacation, or you will need to pay a lot of money in catch-up air transportation, hotels, etc. The money spent on one hotel night prior to your cruise is cheap insurance to ensure that you make it to your cruise. 

Speaking of insurance, it’s also very smart to purchase a travel insurance policy that will cover all the things that can go wrong after the cruise has started. Medical complications and an evacuation can run in the tens of thousands of dollars without insurance. 

About laundry, I’m usually all about packing lightly and then sending my dirty clothes out to get laundered sometime during the cruise (even if available, I won’t do self service laundry on vacation. I’ll be glad to pay to have my clothes washed and folded).

But since you’re driving and don’t have to worry about airline charges and restrictions, or about lugging bags through airports, etc, I’d be more inclined to packing enough clothes for the entire cruise. Just keep in mind that cabins aren’t that big, with limited storage space, so you still need to pack somewhat smartly. 

• Like 1

On 4/15/2023 at 1:07 AM, Aubriee01 said:

I can't answer some of the questions, as I haven't been on a lot of Carnival cruises, but I've been on 30+ cruises across the industry.

I would drive in the day before, if possible.  Anything can happen on Embarkation Day and you want to have that extra cushion of time in case there's delays.  When you book hotels, ask if they offer a "Stay And Cruise" package.  Those that do often offer free parking for the duration of the cruise, free breakfast, and free shuttle to and from the port.

For shoes, I would pack sneakers, sandals/flip flops/Crocs, evening shoes (to go with evening dresses), and water socks.  2 bathing suits is a MUST.  Enough shirts for the duration of the cruise (as well as unmentionables), about 5-7 shorts, hats, sunglasses, sunscreen, toiletries, meds, and brush.  If you have glasses, pack 2 pairs as you might lose one.

For tours, just a small backpack would do.  If you plan on hitting the beach, a beach bag would be helpful.

You should be fine with the snacks, provided you bring a doctor's note or proof of your diabetes.

We have sailed from Galveston quite a few times and I will echo the advice to arrive a day early. Whether you actually stay on the island or in a community just to the north is your decision.  We have done both and each has it's own set of pro's and con's.  

Laundry is really up to you since you aren't flying.  You can bring as much as you can drag with you. 🙂

I have been on over 20 cruises as a diabetic.  Cruising as a diabetic presents it's own challenges, none of which can't be dealt with.  If low glucose levels are an issue for you, I would suggest carrying a couple glucose pills rather than "snacks".  They work fast, inexpensive, easy to carry, and can be taken without affecting anyone around you.  Win - win.

Have a Great cruise!!  

- Get there the night before.   Anything can happen while travelling and it's one thing to be stuck in a 2-3 hour delay the day before than on the way to check-in.   Don't know what local traffic is like in most places I stay, and I assume it's all as bad as Atlanta in the mornings, so I usually like to be within 5-10 miles of the port.    Our last one was 4.5hrs away and we went down the night before.

- Can't answer about 14 days of clothes - am willing to do research though.  Someone book me a 14 day cruise!!!   You'll either do laundry or pack way more than you'll need.   Can always google the best way to maximize space folding clothes, etc.  Of course, it all has to fit coming back off as well.  I usually pack more clothes than I wear on the shorter ones as is, but myself, on something that long, I'd opt for laundry service and make my luggage easier to deal with.

- Bags - sounds like a good plan.  We usually just pack a beach bag that also doubles as the carry-on.  But a small backpack sounds like a good also-have plan - don't have to worry about stuff dumping out etc.  Just need to plan out what all you think you may put in it, a little extra free space and make sure it's comfy when weighted down!  Know my daughters used those drawstring style backpacks, but I find those cut into me too much myself.    May also want to look into a couple carabiner clips - makes it easy to hang your water bottle or maybe a bag of purchases from what you're already backpacking.

- Snacks - you take care of you...I don't think I've been on anything where they say "no eating" or something.  The hungry kid - that's between them and the kids parents.   Be obvious about it if you want to!  

I have a 5 hour drive to the port of Galveston.  The first few cruises we drove down the morning of the cruise.  My stress level is high because of Houston traffic.  Now If I cruise out of Galveston I go the night before.  No stress.  We usually stay in Texas City.  Hotels are cheaper and short drive the next morning.  

Definitely drive in the day before, but don't stay in Galveston since hotels are at a premium there.  I'd stay somewhere about an hour or so from the port in a solid hotel choice like a Hampton Inn.  Stayed at one near IAH last October for about 75 bucks before our NCL Prima cruise.