Is a Celebrity cruise a good way to see Europe for the first time?

mfs2k

My wife and I are talking about a Mediterranean cruise next June to celebrate our 25th anniversary.  I've been to Europe a few times in my life and my wife never has been there. A 10 night Celebrity Ascent cruise from Barcelona to France and Italy ending in Rome would cost us about $6500 for the cruise (all included fare).  This doesn't include flights from NYC, pre and post stay accomodations, insurance and cost of excursions. I figure the total cost of the vacation would be about $15,000 which is double what we would normally spend on a 7-10 night vacation.

I'm wondering if this is a good way to see Mediterranean ports and get a feel for Europe.  We've sailed on Celebrity twice (Equinox Aqua and Beyond SS) and am happy with the Celebrity experience.  I have no idea how much it would cost to travel to Europe.  I imagine we could do it for a lot less and travel on a budget, but that would be an entirely different experience and we wouldnt see nearly as many places. Is one day in each port on a Celebrity Med cruise a good way to experience Europe or is it better to fly to a city and explore on our own? Would we really save a lot of money?

The answer in my opinion is that a cruise is not as good as a land vacation to experience Europe, its culture, food, etc.  Having said that, my family's first introduction to Europe was a Med cruise (Venice to Barcelona)! 

I chose a cruise because I was looking for a low stress method of travel.  To go to sleep and then wake up in the morning at a different European port is the easiest kind of travel.  

The big disadvantage of a cruise is that you only get a brief time to check out the port.  Imagine tackling Rome from 8am - 5pm when you ship is docked an hour away!  On the other hand, you get to sample a lot of ports.

image.thumb.jpeg.46b0bfc6a8542dbc2fb372081ee36204.jpeg

Sailing through the Strait of Messina on formal night, Millennium, Jun 2007

One thing to consider if your budget allows is to build a good pre-cruise and/or post-cruise travel plan.  For example, my wife and I took a Transatlantic sailing out of Civitavecchia this past fall and we spent 5 very nice nights in Rome before the cruise which gave us a chance to really experience Rome at all hours of the day.  In that way, you sort of get the best of both worlds.

.image.thumb.jpeg.34f97f529e00ac5a2d63f46b8259fc40.jpeg

Pantheon at 1:42 am, Oct 20 2022

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 5

We've cruised around the Med 3 times so far on different cruise lines and very much enjoyed each of the ports we visited. The best part of cruising versus seeing it by land is you get to see more countries and never have to switch hotels!! 😃

If you're interested, I have Live From threads from last year associated with our Princess Med cruise and our NCL Med/Africa cruise posted in my below signature area to give you a flavor of what we saw at the different Med ports we visited. I also have a suggestion. Try to book an aft-facing cabin, as the balcony views are awesome, both when leaving each port as well as when the rear of the ship is facing land when you're docked! 

• Like 2

I agree with @mahdnc, the better way to experience Europe is a land vacation. But a cruise could be a good 'teaser' vacation to get a small taste of Europe and find out where you would want to return to for a land vacation in the future. 

If you can, try to get to Barcelona a couple of days before your cruise and stay a couple of days in Rome after your cruise. 

• Like 7

We've done one cruise to the Eastern Mediterranean, and have a 9 night Western Med booked on the Ascent for next April. 

There are positive and negatives to a cruise vs a land trip, but you have to weigh what is important to you. We like the cruise because we can unpack once, experience many different ports (maybe ones we will want to return to on a land trip), and still get the "cruise" experience that we enjoy (sailaways, trivia, live music, etc).

As for costs, this is a hard comparison. Sure, you could save money by staying in hostels and taking buses around Italy, France, and Spain, but there is a lot of planning in that, and definitely a different experience than sailing on the Ascent. If you stayed at hotels with comparable service and amenities to the Ascent, then added 3 meals a day, plus drinks as you go, plus transportation throughout the week, you're probably approaching the same price point as the Ascent.

• Like 2

We had travelled some in Europe (has a sister living there) before taking out first European cruise which was also our first cruise, and it sold me on cruising.

Assuming you want to dabble in a few places, I think it is great way to get a taste. A major benefit of cruising in the Med especially is the views from the ships can be stunning.

We did a roundtrip from Barcelona and stayed a couple of days at start and end of the cruise - so was a good mix. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

My wife and I are talking about a Mediterranean cruise next June to celebrate our 25th anniversary.  I've been to Europe a few times in my life and my wife never has been there. A 10 night Celebrity Ascent cruise from Barcelona to France and Italy ending in Rome would cost us about $6500 for the cruise (all included fare).  This doesn't include flights from NYC, pre and post stay accomodations, insurance and cost of excursions. I figure the total cost of the vacation would be about $15,000 which is double what we would normally spend on a 7-10 night vacation.

I'm wondering if this is a good way to see Mediterranean ports and get a feel for Europe.  We've sailed on Celebrity twice (Equinox Aqua and Beyond SS) and am happy with the Celebrity experience.  I have no idea how much it would cost to travel to Europe.  I imagine we could do it for a lot less and travel on a budget, but that would be an entirely different experience and we wouldnt see nearly as many places. Is one day in each port on a Celebrity Med cruise a good way to experience Europe or is it better to fly to a city and explore on our own? Would we really save a lot of money?

I think a cruise is an excellent way to get a sampling of Europe.  Waking up in a different country every morning, not having to unpack in different hotel rooms, etc. 

If there is a country that you especially like, you can then return in the future for a land based vacation. 

We did a 14 night Europe cruise years ago with my two school aged children.  We still talk about that trip. 

Be sure to arrive at the debarkation port at least 2 days early.  It's important to be able to rest and let your body adjust to the time change.  Being exhausted is not a fun way to start a vacation. 

🛳enJOY

• Like 7

The cruise is EASIER. As for cost, would one spend more time if it was a land based vacation? It depends on accomodations choices and travel choices within Europe. How much per night for a hotel? Flying or train to get between cities?

Seeing Barcelona, Florence, Rome, etc for a one day trip is a good introduction to the cities. 

In short, I would recommend a cruise. If there is a particular city that you want to see more in depth, you could spend some time either before or after the cruise.

• Like 4

I think you just have to decide what type of experience you want to have. I've done countless land based trips to Europe and a few Med cruises, and they're very different things. If your goal is to visit as many places as possible in a short amount of time, go for the cruise. If you want to really EXPERIENCE Europe, I would recommend land based. 

I know this is a cruising forum, but there is absolutely no way to really experience a place in the limited hours you have on a port day. Sure you can do the excursions and tours and whatnot, but it's not the same as immersing yourself for a few days or more in a single city or region. 

• Like 4

A Celebrity cruise was my first experience with Europe.  We spent a few days in Rome and Barcelona on each end of the cruise.  I wish we would have spent more time in Rome actually.  I had reserved a few tours in Rome and Barcelona, just to make sure we saw all the highlights.  The other cruise ports we were on our own, but enjoyed walking around, shopping, eating/drinking, taking pictures.  However we did take a "ship's" excursion of Cinque Terre.  We were on a bus, boat and train.....and it was a long day!

• Like 2

One of our most enjoyable vacations began in Venice.  From there we picked up a rental car and drove to the Dolomites, which are absolutely gorgeous.  After several days we drove to La Spezia and took the train to Cinque Terre, staying in Monterosso.  Then, it was training to Civi, getting on a cruise around the Med to Barcelona.  Our experiences were so enjoyable; my husband loves when his bed and food travel with him.

We enjoy combining a cruise, or two with land travel, as the time spent on both is different.  A cruise gives you the flavor of places, while traveling on land is more of an in-depth visit, especially if there are certain places you want to stay and immerse yourself in the culture.  The best idea may be what your wife would enjoy the most.  You can always return...

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Remember that on a cruise you pack once and see a lot of places.

In a land tour you are frequently packing and unpacking.

That's it!

Seeing those wonderful Countries and Harbours and traveling between them over night seems the be the perfect way for a first look on Europe! 

If you want to see the alps and Neuschwanstein, of course you should overthink, otherwise go for a wonderful Med-cruise an do a few days before in BCN and after in Rome!

All the best!

3 hours ago, mfs2k said:

I'm wondering if this is a good way to see Mediterranean ports and get a feel for Europe. ... Is one day in each port on a Celebrity Med cruise a good way to experience Europe or is it better to fly to a city and explore on our own? Would we really save a lot of money?

I agree with many of the comments above .You have two different questions here, so just answering those:

"I'm wondering if this is a good way to see Mediterranean ports and get a feel for Europe. "

If that's purely the goal, yes, as it will only be to ports, and it will give you a feel. However

"Is one day in each port on a Celebrity Med cruise a good way to experience Europe or is it better to fly to a city and explore on our own? Would we really save a lot of money?"

In this I would say the opposite. Even a land tour (i.e. bus) will give you more time, and more flavour of different cities and countries than a cruise, which is obviously restricted to coastal locations, and means longer travel times in some cases due to port distance. However, a number of cities deserve more time than a cruise gives, plus the nature of cruises means you miss a lot of flavour i.e. you often miss breakfast and dinner (and night!) culture of the cities compared to being on land. Another example is in some cities on your itinerary e.g. Barcelona, they close for siesta for 2 hours during the middle of the day, reducing the actual useful time you have there further.

On top of that, you can better customise both the places/experiences you wish to try by organising it yourself, and hence also the costs/budget better. It would be easy to get a trip cheaper than that price if doing yourself but if you can afford it, it's probably more about better customisation than just changing things solely due to price. For me (and I think some others in this thread) a med cruise is better at delivering a holiday and seeing some lower priority cities you probably would not prioritise as much in Europe, or as a quick taster/follow up trip then actually being the best way to experience Europe.

But it also comes down to what you're comfortable with and if you prefer the convenience and don't want to organise/research different elements and just want the easiest then a cruise will deliver that.

Two other things I'd add. June is peak tourist season in those places you're visiting. This means prices are at their peak and, worse, crowds are at their greatest. Also, temperatures in those destinations will likely be warm-hot, and humid. If that's a conscious choice or the only time suitable that's fine, but you will likely find a better experience at shoulder seasons.

We love cruising, don’t get me wrong.  But we have gone the Eurail way for several trips to Europe, including travel to Russia and Scandinavian countries.  As others have mentioned, if you want to spend time and have a more intimate experience in places like Munich, Paris, Berlin, Prague, Brussels and the like, take Eurail. The trains run like clockwork, unless there is an issue, which is pretty seldom.  Make first class bookings and use overnight trains when you can.  For instance, we left Barcelona around  7 pm, dinner on the train, slept very comfortably in our sleeper cabin, and arose at 6 in Paris!  Had breakfast on the train, taxied to our hotel we had booked in advance, and began our day strolling the Seine by 9 am.  Of course, you must limit your luggage.  We often saw folks with two huge bags each, which you have to lug on and off the train and may need to put in an overhead.  So, limit yourself to one bag, airline carryon size, and be prepared to do laundry, often 😃.  One plus, no worries that someone will see you in the same outfit if you happen to wear it for two, maybe three, days in a row!  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, capsplace said:

So, limit yourself to one bag, airline carryon size, and be prepared to do laundry, often 😃.  One plus, no worries that someone will see you in the same outfit if you happen to wear it for two, maybe three, days in a row!  

My wife likes to pack shoes.  Lots and lots and lots of shoes. 

• Haha 2

We did the Celebrity cruise from Barcelona to Rome. But to make it even better we flew to Paris first for 5 nights, then took a high speed train to Barcelona and spent 3 nights in Barcelona before embarking on the cruise. Then we spent an extra 5 days in Rome before flying home. Now that was a trip to remember. 

• Like 1

Our big box membership TA offers package vacations to Europe. A couple of years ago we went on a trip to London, Paris, Venice, Florence and Rome. The package included air, hotels, trains and some transfer from the airport to the hotel. As much as I love cruising, this trip is my favorite and I never could have matched the price. 

• Like 2

This is not an easy question to answer. You're on a cruise forum. I see a couple of hesitant answers so far, but most everyone says yes, and assumes you'd want to see the same stops and move between them on a land vacation.

If you want to "see Europe", whatever that means to you, you'll lay eyes on a number of places. That itinerary does have the advantage of beginning in Barcelona if you can go early, and ending "near" Rome, if you can stay late.

You just don't get to experience any place. This is a Southern European cruise in June and it leaves almost all the ports by 6:00, which is about 2-3 hours before the cities even come to life. I'm a much bigger fan of visiting fewer places and experiencing them more. I don't generally like going somewhere and moving more than once. I'll usually find a central point and day trip from there. I realize I don't see as many places doing that, but I get to really enjoy the places I do visit. But not everyone has an opportunity to spend a week in London and go back later for a week in Paris.

The cruise looks like a good cruise. I enjoy cruising, but I'd want to spend more than 11 hours in Naples...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

A couple celebrating their 25 wedding anniversary would never in a million years stay at a hostel.  

Yeah, obviously. Which was my point in why it’s difficult to compare pricing of a cruise vs a land trip without knowing which hotels one is staying at, etc.

We actually did this, over 20 years ago. It was our 20th wedding anniversary, we had never been to Europe and we had school age kids that we could not leave very long.

We took the only one week Med cruise we could find. It was a fun, magical trip that led to many other European adventures, bot with and without kids.

Pros, you come home to America each evening - some people (including me, now) might see that as a con not a pro, but your first Europe adventure has so much pressure to see and do everything, that coming back to the familiar is not such a bad thing. My first point is, a cruise is a relatively superficial way to visit.

Cons, many ports, especially the Italian ones are too far from the sights that you actually want to see. If you feel strongly that you are going back one day, that’s ok, we actually returned the next summer with kids in tow. But if you know it will be awhile, consider cruises where there are more ports where you will actually dock - such as Baltic, Norway, Greece or the UK. Maybe even a river cruise?

A big ship cruise as a first trip to Europe worked well for us, but the finances and timing were all to the positive- if we had had more time, we would do something different.

Again, this was over 20 years ago, now, but we got bumped from our original flight (and we were flying in for the day we departed, eek!) along with 30 other people. In the end we flew First Class both ways, and got $1200 cash, which was about the cost of one ticket - so we didn’t care too much how the rest of the trip went, lol! We were delayed so much, they held the ship a bit for us (there were about 15 of us, all on that flight, that were headed to the port), raised the gangplank behind us, literally.

• Like 1

I believe a cruise is the best way to visit Europe the first time, in most cases you are at a port during the day and cruising at night waking up in a new port/city/country. We have done two Athens to Rome and then round trip from Barcelona with 9 ports including 4 countries.

• Like 1