Dinner "rules" - sailing with suite and non-suite guests questions

LarissaRose

I didn't really know how to title this but I have a few questions regarding dining for dinner when sailing with passengers that are in suites and in non-suites:

My husband and I are on an upcoming sailing on the Eclipse, we will be sailing in a suite. We are traveling with 5 other passengers who will not have included access to any dining rooms other than the main dining room. In the past when sailing in a suite my husband and I have had no problem choosing which dining room to go to dinner between the main dining room, Blu and Luminae based on the day's menu offerings. 

Our main question is: can we go to more than 1 dinner a night or are you only allowed 1 dinner? For example: if we dine in Luminae at 6pm and then if the other 5 people we are sailing with are eating in the main dining room at 8:30pm can we join them again for dinner? If this is not allowed, could we join them when they dine just for dessert? Just for drinks? Are we not even really allowed in the dining room if we've already dined in a different dining room for dinner? 

I've seen in the past that people have said they've been able to bring non-suite guests to Luminae for dinner if they ask first, if there's room, and if they pay a fee. Has anyone done this successfully recently? Would we even be able to do this with 5 additional people? Could we do it with 2? 3? What was the price per additional person? 

TIA for your input! 

• Like 1

Actually it depends on a number of factors. You shouldn't have any trouble at all joining them in the MDR if they have select seating. If they are in the fixed time dining, it may be tough for the MDR to add more seats. You should, at a minimum, have your friends request this from the MDR Maitre'd the day before as they would normally be seated at a 6 top. They'd need to have an 8 top available to fit everyone. 

As for bringing in 5 to Luminae, I've never dreamed of asking for more than 2. There's really only one spot that can accommodate (at least on S class), unless they push together tables. But maybe if you agree to go at 9pm, who knows what they will say.  Your level of suite may also come into play (They may give more leeway for the PH than a Sky suite). Dinner was $35 pp for Luminae when we invited friends this past November. 

Edited by dcbiker97

I think others have covered this pretty well but one additional thing I would like to point out.  If you do decide to join them for dinner in the MDR, I would suggest that you coorindate with the Luminae maitre'd.  She/He will most likely be able to make arrangements for the larger table with the MDR maintre'd and things will go a lot smoother.  

If you are going to try and have them join you in Luminae, get with the maitre'd at least a day in advance and make sure that they can accommodate your request. 

The other 5 have anytime dining so there wouldn't be an issue of adding chairs to their assigned nightly table. I'm mostly curious if we're allowed to eat at BOTH restaurants in the SAME night - Luminae and then later in the evening the main dining room (or vice versa) 

5 minutes ago, LarissaRose said:

The other 5 have anytime dining so there wouldn't be an issue of adding chairs to their assigned nightly table. I'm mostly curious if we're allowed to eat at BOTH restaurants in the SAME night - Luminae and then later in the evening the main dining room (or vice versa) 

I don’t think that would be an issue at all..that said, I’ve never tried it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LarissaRose said:

I cannot say with absolute certainty but I do not see why you couldn't.  I have never even though about doing it.  Can't ever remember leaving Luminae hungry.   

26 minutes ago, LarissaRose said:

Some people report that there is an entry in the computer indicating that you've checked in to a dining establishment.

But ... why? 

4 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

Some people report that there is an entry in the computer indicating that you've checked in to a dining establishment.

But ... why? 

Perhaps so that the pre-paid gratuities follow you into the correct dining venue??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrgabriel said:

lol - my question was why one might want to have two dinners the same night 😜 

Haha for us it's more of a social thing, or have an appetizer at one, dessert at the other kind of thing.

But there is also the famous idea of "second dinner" 😉

• Haha 1

The dinner menus in Luminae aren’t worth $35 pp.   it would be a better choice of dining in a specialty restaurant for a few dollars more. 

If you want to join them for desert meet at Cafe Al Bacio, or in the buffet after dinner.   Better would be in a lounge for after dinner cocktails

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

But ... why? 

I did hear that Butlers get an alert when you check in.

3 hours ago, JaneStarr said:

Perhaps so that the pre-paid gratuities follow you into the correct dining venue??

no. Because people book and dont show up at the specialty restaurants.  Saw X is now charging for no show

2 hours ago, LarissaRose said:

Haha for us it's more of a social thing, or have an appetizer at one, dessert at the other kind of thing.

But there is also the famous idea of "second dinner" 😉

Second dessert is definitely a thing for us!