Beverage Shortages and Other Cuts

15 hours ago, Beejay4016 said:

Could be wine that's been opened for days, or perhaps - dare I suggest - cask wine (not sure what you call cask/box/bag wine in the US, but you know what I mean). We're on the Westerdam next week so I think I'll do what some others on Hank's thread have suggested and take a couple of glasses of wine in with us from one of the bars.

If it's a NZ white wine it will be a screw top and can easily hold a week in a regular fridge - never mind a wine fridge 

5 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

But we suffered thru it all taters!  The horror of it all.....LOL. 

Are y'all still having cruise withdrawal?  We miss Captn Kevin's noon announcement along with everything else about those 19 days.......Great cruise. 

Yes oh yes!  We are having withdrawals!  We struggle every day to figure out what we have to cook for dinner.  Pure drudgery!

But we are combating that with a 14 night cruise on Nieuw Statendam to Norway beginning on May 14th.  Our suitcases are still in the living room, where we've taken away some shorts and t-shirts and are replacing those with long pants and a few sweaters.  We can do this!  

I just hope there's some half & half on NS! 😁

• Like 1

Not that it will stop us from cruising but on the Westerdam in Feb.

Lido

no cream or half and half ever

blueberries ran out every day....if you ate before 730 you could get them

lettuce other than iceberg

lemons for tea

lemonade was very diluted

rye bread for toast

smoked salmon

hot sauce

cookies after 9pm

Bars

ginger ale or ginger beer

any soda other than cola

olives and celery for virgin mary

Dining Room

berries cut in half

sauces were negligible...remedied by ordering double sauce

no cream of wheat but still on menu

cream for coffee at breakfast sometimes

• Thanks 2

When we boarded the Volendam in December they had no Laphroig Scotch.   When I asked for a shot they said they were out.   Since their drink list says the cocktail Penicillin has Laphroig I asked what do us in that and we were told they "substitute".  Thankfully for the 74 day Grand SA they stocked it.   They only had one good bourbon Bulleit and Jim Beam in the well.   Boy they sure had their Gin selection though.   It is so varied what is in the bars from ship to ship.

We ran out of soy sauce before we hit Brazil and it took a couple days to get more.  They bought a concentrate and didn't know enough to dilute it even though it looked like syrup.  Several days without limes so lemons were offered with cocktails.   Then we ran out of cookie dough and were without cookies for a week because a pallet of dough disappeared.   Overall for such a long cruise traveling through many countries we did pretty well not running out, but the lack of stocking of key cocktail liquors was kind of bad.    

3 hours ago, Sandcruiser1 said:

Nieuw Statendam has no Reisling on board.  Waiter said they were told it wasn't received in Ft. Lauderdale.

The No Reisling would be a big problem for me, but since we do not cruise till September and it is out of Seattle I would certainly hope they would not have problems getting Chateau Ste Michelle Reisling delivered to the ship. 

Sorry if this seems crass (and no intention to belittle anyone), but after living all over the world and NOT being able to get some of my favorite food and/or drink, I learned to adapt to what was available.  So I kind of giggle when I hear people bemoaning not being able to get their favorite X on a cruise.  

I remember in both China and South East Asia, I would be asked if I wanted a lime with my drink (beer or mixed drink).  I said of course.  Inevitably it was always a lemon.  I guess they thought it was the same.

Thanks for the giggles and smiles you gave me tonight!!!

• Like 7

53 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

Sorry if this seems crass (and no intention to belittle anyone), but after living all over the world and NOT being able to get some of my favorite food and/or drink, I learned to adapt to what was available.  So I kind of giggle when I hear people bemoaning not being able to get their favorite X on a cruise.  

I remember in both China and South East Asia, I would be asked if I wanted a lime with my drink (beer or mixed drink).  I said of course.  Inevitably it was always a lemon.  I guess they thought it was the same.

Would you say that HAL was wrong to have properly stocked their ships in the past?

5 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Would you say that HAL was wrong to have properly stocked their ships in the past?

The past is much different than the present, especially in the light of how the world shut down for a long time (and in some places, still very restricted).  I can't find some of the things I used to be able to get at the store as they are in limited supply.  Deliveries don't come, they come damaged.  It is the present world we live in - both locally, and internationally.  It will get better in time but just not now.  What might be available today might not be tomorrow.  Or vice versa.  Living in the past dooms you to stay there and be unhappy.  I choose to live for today and be happy for what I can get/enjoy/make my own happiness.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

50 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

The past is much different than the present, especially in the light of how the world shut down for a long time (and in some places, still very restricted).  I can't find some of the things I used to be able to get at the store as they are in limited supply.  Deliveries don't come, they come damaged.  It is the present world we live in - both locally, and internationally.  It will get better in time but just not now.  What might be available today might not be tomorrow.  Or vice versa.  Living in the past dooms you to stay there and be unhappy.  I choose to live for today and be happy for what I can get/enjoy/make my own happiness.

All our experiences are in the past, including you living all over the world.  Are the cruise lines that are in better financial shape, such as Viking and Azamara, experiencing the same shortages?  If were a supply chain problem only, all cruise lines would be affected the same, no matter their financial health.

Back to your original comparison: trying new brands abroad is not the same as running out of entire categories of supply on a ship.  Trying pork knuckle with sauerkraut and local Riesling while in Germany, is not the same as running out of all bacon and all Riesling while on the ship.  Cruise passengers aren't even given an option to try foreign alternatives, as you've done.  Lastly, you pay for exactly what you consume on land, where as on a ship, you pre-pay.  Some of us would have opted out of a drink package if we had been aware they were going to be out of Scotch, red wine, seltzers, and Black Teas, all on the same cruise.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2023 at 2:19 AM, cruisemom42 said:

I really dislike HAL’s practice of bringing you wine ordered by the glass in a pre-poured flask. I know there have been times on this cruise (Westerdam) where I’ve ordered the very drinkable NZ Sauvignon blanc included in the HIA and they have substituted something else. But how does one protest without seeming ugly? Pouring from the bottle eliminates all such questions.

Elimination of the Wine Steward created this issue.   KONINGSDAM ran out of different Chardonnay recently…..I’d find my favorite at one bar and not another.   The dining room would pour what they had…..if you didn’t know the difference???   

5 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Some of us would have opted out of a drink package if we had been aware they were going to be out of Scotch, red wine, seltzers, and Black Teas, all on the same cruise.

And I was told last night in Pinnacle Grill (on that same cruise) that they also are out of tawny port at or near the HIA limit….

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nickelpenny said:

I guess I’ve been pretty lucky.  It’s pretty rare when I can’t get what I want where I live.  I find it hard that a corporation as large as carnival corporation can’t properly stock its ships.  While I never read the carnival board and only read Princess on occasion I wonder if they are having the problems hal is.

On 4/17/2023 at 11:22 PM, oakridger said:

I was on a few cruises last fall that ran out of some of my favorite beverages.  It happened on cruises as far back as 2012 for me. These were short 10-11 day cruises, not exotic transoceanic trips!

My feeling is that the beverage issue is more of a case of poor procurement management.  Sure, on some of the odd ones we were told that the shipment didn't get to the port.  But leaving from US ports how can they not get several different beers, wines, Diet Coke, and pickled beets? 

Back in 2012 it was hard to believe that in the whole city of Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area they couldn't get ahold of any cases of Bud Light!  

Bet they can get lots of Bud Light now.

I seem to have face the shortage of IPA beers on most of my cruises over the last 10 years.  I do not get a sense that they care either.  'Just choose another beer that we have' seems to be the refrain.  Recently off Rotterdam and they had taps for Lagunitas IPA at a number bars and even a self service bar, but NO Lagunitas IPA draft beer from the taps.  One senior officer told me they had it in Billboard Onboard entertainment area bar.  I replied no they did not as I have check, but even it they did, it is 1:00 pm now and they don't open till 3:30 pm.  He said he would check and get back with me.  I fumed for a few seconds and then responded. "How are  you going to get back with me as you don't even know my room number.  I just turned away after that.  IF a lower level officer or other crew member had responded that way, I am sure there would have been some serious corrective discussions with the crew member.  They did have plenty of bottled Lagunitas IPA so I had a good beer.  Just wanted to enjoy the draft version since they had taps promoting it at least 3 bars.

I did put the episode in my comments to HAL and no one contacted me to confirm or get clarification.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With a lot of the beer and other shortages on the ships it's not that HAL can't get the items (they're available on land) it's just that they don't!!  It's my sense that they aren't even "cutbacks" for monetary reasons because of all the beers, Bud Light (or pickled beets) isn't exactly a luxury item!  I think it has to be poor procurement management. 

That's my layman's guess!  

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 1

Reading from other cruise line boards shortages are pretty common. I experienced it on Celebrity Edge in December. I don’t drink alcohol so can not comment on that but Diet Coke became scarce. There were other food shortages like fruit. Never saw a berry except a solitary one on dessert. 

1 hour ago, cruising sister said:

Reading from other cruise line boards shortages are pretty common. I experienced it on Celebrity Edge in December. I don’t drink alcohol so can not comment on that but Diet Coke became scarce. There were other food shortages like fruit. Never saw a berry except a solitary one on dessert. 

We sailed Celebrity Eclipse in April or May 2019, and spoke to a number of passengers on a B2B2B from Argentina to Vancouver.  Shortages had already started, but they did restock chocolate syrup for the cafe while docked in Vancouver.  We ran out of Maple syrup, hummus, cheese spread, and pineapple (while docked in Maui).  The real problem, no vegetables!  They had lettuce and union for the salads, but most of the toppings were missing.  Green beans, asparagus, squash, no where to be seen for 12 nights!  While I gorged on asparagus the prior X cruise, I only ever came across 2 very tiny pieces.  The final night of the cruise they added frozen mixed veggies to the buffet, which I assume they got in port.  This was the first cruise I paid for specialty dining, just to get a standard portion of veggies.

• Like 1

I have yet to go to the grocery store, since COVID started, and be able to pick up every item on my list — let alone thousands of them — which I used to be able to get pre-COVID.  I was in Canada for Easter and managed to find some of the items I haven’t been able to get in the US.  Tonight, we feast!

• Like 1

From what I have read about the Rotterdam 150 year anniversary crossing, no shortages have been noted, but then perhaps I've missed something. It all seems to have been rather elaborate (for these times) when we see so many shortages of  liquour, wine and food items on the other ships. I'm sure that if I am mistaken, I will be corrected! 😉

37 minutes ago, tjcox9 said:

From what I have read about the Rotterdam 150 year anniversary crossing, no shortages have been noted, but then perhaps I've missed something. It all seems to have been rather elaborate (for these times) when we see so many shortages of  liquour, wine and food items on the other ships. I'm sure that if I am mistaken, I will be corrected! 😉

I am sure you will if mistaken.  Maybe too if you are correct, but not the correct correct! 😉

The good news is that if there is a shortage onboard, they can fix it pretty quick when they dock for most things if they want to.

Edited by shipshape sam

21 hours ago, Nickelpenny said:

I agree - youll not get limes in your drink in a cafe in NZ - they cost a  fortune - lemons are what you will get 

On 4/18/2023 at 7:08 AM, newtocruiseinblue said:

Presenting the bottle, vintage, and allowing your taste and approval is part of the process of ordering wine. You can politely ask for the wine steward and say, I'm not sure if this is the vintage that I ordered, it tastes off. You can politely tell them that it tastes off. I guarantee if you do this once, they will probably go out of their way to make sure you are happy with the wine.

That is a huge part of the decorum of any restaurant. They should respect your request.

Also, I learned that no one can tell you what wine tastes good - what I mean is that every mouth has between 2000-4000 taste buds in it and every wine tastes different to each individual. 

I dont recall HAL ever bringing a bottle to the table when ordering a single glass of wine. (Maybe I've had too much). I have requested to see the bottle at a restaurant when they bring the little flasks just to see what they say it is.

Now on our last MSC cruise when they ran out of particular wbtg choice, they brought a bottle to see if I wanted to substitute, and poured a glass. 

• Like 1