Cheap dinner on Oasis - Would you choose Playmakers or Portside BBQ?

Hello! My sister and I are gearing up for the 4-night sailing on Oasis in 12 days (but who's counting!). My sister has never sailed with Royal Caribbean, so I'm in charge of all the planning. We're going to skip the MDR since it's a short cruise. I've already made reservations at Solarium Bistro, 150 CP, and Giovanni's Table (she likes Italian). The remaining night, I was thinking we'd try either Playmakers or Portside BBQ. I've never been on a ship with either, so I have no personal experience to go by. Which would you choose and what are the best things on the menu there?

I know I put "cheap" in the subject, but any cost difference between the two isn't really an issue. I just meant cheap compared to the specialty restaurants.

Thank you!

3 minutes ago, LisaLisa87 said:

Hello! My sister and I are gearing up for the 4-night sailing on Oasis in 12 days (but who's counting!). My sister has never sailed with Royal Caribbean, so I'm in charge of all the planning. We're going to skip the MDR since it's a short cruise. I've already made reservations at Solarium Bistro, 150 CP, and Giovanni's Table (she likes Italian). The remaining night, I was thinking we'd try either Playmakers or Portside BBQ. I've never been on a ship with either, so I have no personal experience to go by. Which would you choose and what are the best things on the menu there?

I know I put "cheap" in the subject, but any cost difference between the two isn't really an issue. I just meant cheap compared to the specialty restaurants.

Thank you!

I'd consult your RCCL App for prices or RCCL's website.  As far as a choice between two restaurants, that is really a very personal choice.  Only you can decide if you want a Bar type of food, which can be very very good, or a BBQ.  I've heard that Playmaker's hamburgers are very good.  I haven't heard much about the BBQ venue and I haven't experienced it myself.  However, I don't think you can go wrong with either.  

• Like 1

Never tried Portside BBQ but my wife and I love the burgers and garlic parm fries at Playmakes. Onion rings are great too and I'm a big fan of their Goalpost margarita (jalapeno pineapple), not that you need to eat there to get a drink of course. People seem to really like the wings as well.

Happy deciding!

• Like 1

Hands down, Portside BBQ.  In my opinion the best extra-fee dining on any Royal Caribbean ship.  I don't understand why they don't put it on other ships.  I was seriously disappointed that it wasn't on the Wonder.  It's excellent barbecue and it's a LOT of food for the price.  Last time on Oasis I ate at Portside 4 times. 

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Anton said:

Hands down, Portside BBQ.  In my opinion the best extra-fee dining on any Royal Caribbean ship.  I don't understand why they don't put it on other ships.  I was seriously disappointed that it wasn't on the Wonder.  It's excellent barbecue and it's a LOT of food for the price.  Last time on Oasis I ate at Portside 4 times. 

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Easily playmakers. I can get bbq any time here in texas it's nothing special. 

I'm a snacker anyway so a fancy burger or poke nachos wins for me every time. I dont get poke hardly. Not even close for me. 

Oh boy... we need a tiebreaker!

• Haha 1

Just now, LisaLisa87 said:

Oh boy... we need a tiebreaker!

The burgers at Playmakers are only $9 and come with the garlic parm fries, have them for lunch one day and Portside BBQ for the 4th dinner?  😁

• Like 7

we didn't check Playmakers out, but we loved Portside BBQ:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2930782-oasis-april-2-9-2023-a-wonderful-cruise/#comment-65201562

Soooo much food....

That said, I am not quite sure it was open for dinner on our cruise - do check the schedule. We tried it on a sea day for lunch.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

we didn't check Playmakers out, but we loved Portside BBQ:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2930782-oasis-april-2-9-2023-a-wonderful-cruise/#comment-65201562

Soooo much food....

That said, I am not quite sure it was open for dinner on our cruise - do check the schedule. We tried it on a sea day for lunch.

This is a good point. I just checked the app, and apparently Portside will be open for dinner each night from 5-9pm.

• Like 1

I think you're comparing apples to oranges and the answer lies in which fruit you're in the mood for. I've never been to Portside BBQ, but I am looking forward to it. It seems you like the food options at both, so it's more of what you're looking for in the atmosphere. Playmakers is more of a sports bar. My understanding is that Portside has live music. If it were me, I'd eat dinner at Portside and enjoy some music and bbq (that I've heard is pretty good) and then hit Playmakers for their campfire cookie for dessert. Either way, I don't think there's a bad decision here. Enjoy!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mikefromny said:

I think you're comparing apples to oranges and the answer lies in which fruit you're in the mood for. I've never been to Portside BBQ, but I am looking forward to it. It seems you like the food options at both, so it's more of what you're looking for in the atmosphere. Playmakers is more of a sports bar. My understanding is that Portside has live music. If it were me, I'd eat dinner at Portside and enjoy some music and bbq (that I've heard is pretty good) and then hit Playmakers for their campfire cookie for dessert. Either way, I don't think there's a bad decision here. Enjoy!

You're right, @mikefromny -- we like both kinds of food, so atmosphere may be the deciding factor. I like the idea of listening to live music while we eat, and the bourbon peach tea @mets123 suggested sounds delish! 

• Like 2

Thanks, everyone. I'm thinking we'll try Portside BBQ for dinner one night and try to swing by Playmakers for a snack and margarita one afternoon. I can't wait to check out the OG Oasis class ship!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I'm a snacker anyway so a fancy burger or poke nachos wins for me every time. I dont get poke hardly. Not even close for me. 

3 hours ago, LisaLisa87 said:

Thank you!

Ditto for me on this one.  Portside is fine but it is only average by my standards.  Playmakers burgers are genuinely very good by any standard.  I'd go with Playmakers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Where are we going to get good burgers on Harmony. 😮😮😮

42 minutes ago, LisaLisa87 said:

Thanks, everyone. I'm thinking we'll try Portside BBQ for dinner one night and try to swing by Playmakers for a snack and margarita one afternoon. I can't wait to check out the OG Oasis class ship!

Be sure to try the no charge breakfast at JR. Nice to sit outside and people watch, plus it is a pretty good breakfast.

IMG_3470.thumb.JPG.b527da0eb3715413cd1859ccd00da265.JPG 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Where are we going to get good burgers on Harmony. 😮😮😮

Idk the usa menu in Mdr had the only decent burgers on radiance 10 day. Harmony probably doesnt do usa night. I dont like those in WJ and dont touch them. 

I booked izumi and hibachi for sept allure, lol not burgers. I get tired of steak. Lol even perfectly cooked steak. I havent looked ahead to harmony. 

Might have to have that burger in Galveston the night before. I wish playmakers was on more ships. I dont know of any good burgers on harmony. None suit me.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Be sure to try the no charge breakfast at JR. Nice to sit outside and people watch, plus it is a pretty good breakfast.

I'm a fan of JRs but I have never gone for breakfast.  Looks good.  I'm going to have to give it a try on my next cruise.  I've known about it, just preferred to go to the WJ because I could help myself to the bacon.  I guess I can tell the JR folks to bring me a triple order of bacon.  Man that does look good.  Now I'm going to have breakfast for dinner.  

12 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Good suggestion! I'll add this to the list. Four days is not nearly long enough on this class of ship, but that's all my sister could swing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Looks like you have a great cruise schedule for the next few years. 

Yes -- we sail with several different cruise lines, but the next couple of years we're sticking with Royal. We've found that we really love the big ships with lots of dining venues, bars, and activities.