Concierge/Suite Lounge and Diamond Lounge on Serenade

mafig

7 minutes ago, orville99 said:

After reading @island lady description of what happened to. Bucky, we pack shorts/shirts/tops/slacks that we dont’t care if we lose them to soot and dedicate them exclusively to suite deck use. Any clothing of any value to us never sees the sun deck.

Kind of the same thing with the "boil and fry".  😄 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, orville99 said:

The problem is that on the radiance class ships, they installed a glass wall between the outdoor portion of the suite lounge and anything forward (you can see it in the soot pictures that were posted) so you would have to scale the wall in order to do what you suggest.

Serenade has a door in the glass wall.  You can open the door and move forward quite easily.  In fact, the door was often not locked and I used it often as a short cut to get into the lounge.

1 hour ago, Cigar King said:

Serenade has a door in the glass wall.  You can open the door and move forward quite easily.  In fact, the door was often not locked and I used it often as a short cut to get into the lounge.

When we were on serenade in February, the door was locked, and no one in the suite lounge had a key - same situation on Jewel in December. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, orville99 said:

When we were on serenade in February, the door was locked, and no one in the suite lounge had a key

You must have been on it before us.  We were on the last February cruise and the first two in March.  No issues with the door.

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

Can understand why it ruined Bucky’s shorts. It has eaten the varnish off of the railings.😱

IMG_0390.jpeg

Yeah, that is why I am more worried about what that will eat up in bodies when we breath in. 😮 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

I would have never believed how bad the soot issue is but I do trust the experiences of those who have posted on this thread. Pictures of it and the damage speaks volumes.  

Have never, ever noticed it on the deck outside of the CL on Radiance class...but Wonder's suite's sun deck..oh boy.  Bad soot problem.  Real shame. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, island lady said:

Yeah, that is why I am more worried about what that will eat up in bodies when we breath in. 😮 

I have  seen  some where , I think a Captain  of Serenade stated that the Radiance  class  ships of royal caribbean  had extra heavy  fuel engines installed where water tanks were  used  be installed
The reason why was the low emissions gas turbines were to costly to run, thus adding heavy fuel  engines contributing  to more pollution, soot and reduce running cost over running gas turbines.

Is this correct?

10 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Deja Vu for Bucky and the rest of us that were in hell. Agent Orange...!!! 

Yeah, even more scary perhaps?   Another lovely "souvenir" Bucky has from the Land of the Dragon....he sets off the metal detector almost every time at the airport from the shrapnel still floating around in his old body. 😮 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sowhat said:

I have  seen  some where , I think a Captain  of Serenade stated that the Radiance  class  ships of royal caribbean  had extra heavy  fuel engines installed where water tanks were  used  be installed
The reason why was the low emissions gas turbines were to costly to run, thus adding heavy fuel  engines contributing  to more pollution, soot and reduce running cost over running gas turbines.

Is this correct?

Not sure on that one...above my pay grade.  😮😉 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Post-covid, the lounges on Radiance ships are better since there's a bar right there for faster service. On Serenade last year the bar only had the basic "suite happy hour" menu, but on Jewel last month, it was a full bar with plenty of options.

are you saying there was a bar set up in the DL on Jewel? On one cruise on Brilliance years ago they had a bar setup in the DL, it was so much quicker to get a drink, of course it was only the unlimited HH drinks back then. 

6 minutes ago, SherriZ366 said:

We sail on Wonder in August -- will keep following this thread to see if RCI has fixed the soot problem.  

I wouldn’t bet on it.  It’s so bad up there the crew put towels down on all loungers every day we were up there. No one would sit on the seats. Such a shame they’re ruined.

Just now, lovesthebeach2 said:

are you saying there was a bar set up in the DL on Jewel? On one cruise on Brilliance years ago they had a bar setup in the DL, it was so much quicker to get a drink, of course it was only the unlimited HH drinks back then. 

I wouldn’t bet on it.  It’s so bad up there the crew put towels down on all loungers every day we were up there. No one would sit on the seats. Such a shame they’re ruined.

Agree -- it's such a beautiful space and probably cost lots of $$ to build.  

18 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

LOTS of soot in March.  Is the soot issue able to be fixed? 

The Wonder of the Seas is the most technical advanced ship in the fleet and has advanced  scrubbers in the stacks to stop pollution and soot issues
Therefore  if all systems are working correctly  it should  be a clean ship
There was talk  about the locals in  Palma  trying  to ban  it because for exhaust  pollution

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

LNG ships will reduce the soot even more, but as long as there is carbon in a fuel source, there will be soot.

Icon will be powered by LNG.  I wonder whether Utopia will LNG power -- I think I read it somewhere that it would be.  

We were on Wonder 3/19-24.  Had aft ATS suite with zero soot.  Spent most sea days on suite sun deck and same/ no soot.  Unless we got really lucky or they have gremlins cleaning up all the time it seems like the problem is fixed, or a lot better.

For what it's worth, the Suite Sun deck was relaxing, uncrowded and beautiful.  Enjoyed it.

Cloud of poison 

many citizens have taken to social media to criticize the large “cloud of toxic smoke” that the Wonder of the Seas brought over Palma while docking in the harbour.

Royal Caribbean’s new behemoth “pollutes almost 10 times more than all the cars in Palma combined”. 

From a newspaper  in Palma  last year

Screenshot_20230422_214302_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1