Best time of the year for a Med cruise

SilviB

We haven't cruised a lot, 1 week cruises out of Florida and 1 transatlantic Fl to Barcelona.  From what I'm told the sea is normally calmer going to Europe April/May (as opposed to when the ships return November time) but now that we are living in Europe, we want to do a Med cruise, are there any months better than others for a smoother sailing?  Thanks.

Seas can be rough any time...anywhere.

Some reading on the ports boards, here;

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/8-europe/

will find the refrain its very warm and crowded in July and August. But as you live in the area, maybe you won't be bothered by the summer heat. I wasn't, but lots of people are.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SilviB said:

We haven't cruised a lot, 1 week cruises out of Florida and 1 transatlantic Fl to Barcelona.  From what I'm told the sea is normally calmer going to Europe April/May (as opposed to when the ships return November time) but now that we are living in Europe, we want to do a Med cruise, are there any months better than others for a smoother sailing?  Thanks.

I would avoid July and August, not only because of the heat, but because of the number of tourists.

We lived in Almeria,  next door to Murcia,  and as you no doubt know, the best months are April/June and September/October. 

• Like 4

I rate November to be too late in the year, even late October in the eastern Med.

If you've lived in Murcia in mid-summer you'll know whether you can hack the heat - I can't so like those who've already responded we avoid high summer.

April into May is usually a good time, even late March in western Med - it's early in the season and there's a "fresh" feeling.

But weather is weather, so climate isn't a guarantee

JB 🙂.

• Like 1

We did it twice first was March perfect weather for walking around , second was mid September which was way to hot lots of 90’s and when visiting Vatican or church’s no shorts or tank tops . Both were southern / western Mediterranean. 

• Like 2

Back in 2017 we took a cruise from Venice that went around Santorini and Athens. It also stopped in Kotor on the way back.

We embarked on May 21 and it was the perfect time. Spending a couple days pre-cruise was nice. When we returned a week later, more regular tourists showed up and the streets were more crowded.I always recommend Europe in the first two to three weeks of May. The weather was great and the tourist spots weren't yet crowded.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, John Bull said:

I rate November to be too late in the year, even late October in the eastern Med.

If you've lived in Murcia in mid-summer you'll know whether you can hack the heat - I can't so like those who've already responded we avoid high summer.

April into May is usually a good time, even late March in western Med - it's early in the season and there's a "fresh" feeling.

But weather is weather, so climate isn't a guarantee

JB 🙂.

This will be our first summer in Murcia, used to live in Mallorca but have spent 20+ years in Florida and found the summers getting longer and very humid, so we'll see ..

There are really two issues here — the best time to sail with regard to weather (seas) and the best time to travel with regard to temperature and number of fellow tourists.

Rougher seas don’t bother me a bit, so I try to minimize crowds and avoid the hot summer temps. My favorite times used to be called the “shoulder season”: early April to mid-May and mid-October through late November.

Weather can be more unsettled in November, but I’ve had very good weather and smooth seas in the early spring. Of course, a storm can occur at any time, despite best laid plans.

We've cruised the Med in May and weather was nice, from 70's to high 80's, as well as  good seas.  Of course weather and seas are variable. Crowds weren't too bad

I would not want to cruise in summer because of crowds and heat.  I'd love to try late September through October..