Southampton Port walk in

MWL58

Thank you in advance. We are wondering if it is possible to walk into the Ocean Terminal (Berth 46/47) from downtown?  In the past we have had ports require a shuttle/transfer or vehicle to navigate the port security check point.

Thank you again

ML

32 minutes ago, MWL58 said:

Thank you in advance. We are wondering if it is possible to walk into the Ocean Terminal (Berth 46/47) from downtown?  In the past we have had ports require a shuttle/transfer or vehicle to navigate the port security check point.

Thank you again

ML

Very easy to do. We walked with our big suitcases from the Holiday Inn to the ship. It’s an easy walk, flat surfaces and sidewalks all the way.

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, david63 said:

Perfectly possible to walk into any terminal in Southampton - however depending on your starting point and the amount of luggage it may not be practical.

I should have added - and the weather!

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

How far is the walk?  We will be at the Moxy pre-cruise in June and are thinking about walking to the ship.

Our ship was at the first birth (101) and the walk took less than 15 minutes. 

• Thanks 1

Be aware there are about 3 different docks used by cruise ships and these are not that close to each other (maybe 2 miles between them all, possibly more)

So check which dock your ship is scheduled to use when booking your hotel.

• Like 2

If you are certain that you are going to Berths 46/47 (which is the Ocean Cruise Terminal) then yes, it is an easy walk.  Princess also uses the Mayflower Terminal (105/106) and there is no way that you would want to walk there, especially with luggage. Not even sure you would be allowed to.

10 minutes ago, wowzz said:

You can walk it. The question is, why would you want to ?

Thanks.  I wasn't sure since the walk would be through heavily trafficked commercial areas.  And no, there is no way that I would want to! 😫

4 hours ago, david63 said:

What baffles me is why when you have spent thousands of £££/$$$ on a cruise are you worrying about a £10/£15 taxi fare

That may NOT be their issue.  I have read on the boards that, depending on how busy the ports/hotel is, there can be difficulty getting a taxi for the short distance.

4 hours ago, david63 said:

What baffles me is why when you have spent thousands of £££/$$$ on a cruise are you worrying about a £10/£15 taxi fare

Did I miss something?  Where did OP mention taxi fare?

I have walked from the hotel to the ship, but that was several years ago.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Senga said:

I have read on the boards that, depending on how busy the ports/hotel is, there can be difficulty getting a taxi for the short distance.

Virtual;ly all the taxis that are taking passengers for embarkation are doing hotel runs which in the main are short distances - yes you may have to wait for a taxi.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, david63 said:

Virtual;ly all the taxis that are taking passengers for embarkation are doing hotel runs which in the main are short distances - yes you may have to wait for a taxi.

We've used Uber in the past, with little wait time. 

Given that the boarding 'window'is 5 or 6 hours, waiting even as long as 30 minutes for a taxi is not really an issue,  surely ?

6 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Slight hijack, what is the earliest you can drop off luggage? We have a rental car and I am thinking of dropping off luggage before returning the car.

Supposedly 11am, but the "hole in the wall" can be open at 10:30 or even slightly earlier.

For planning purposes, I would assume 11:00.

3 hours ago, Stokie33 said:

Saturday the hole on the wall opened at 11.00 and they didn’t start priority boarding until 11.20 

That was partly due to delayed disembarkation from the previous cruise.

Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge. It is always great to see that these forums are full of helpful cruisers.  Laugh, smile and go on another cruise

Cheers

On 4/20/2023 at 5:04 PM, JimmyVWine said:

If you are certain that you are going to Berths 46/47 (which is the Ocean Cruise Terminal) then yes, it is an easy walk.  Princess also uses the Mayflower Terminal (105/106) and there is no way that you would want to walk there, especially with luggage. Not even sure you would be allowed to.

This is England, you can walk anywhere, except a motorway. Land of the free don't you know