World cruise on new Crystal as a single?

Rally

I am considering this, San Diego to San Diego as a solo, in a solo cabin.  My late wife and i cruised extensively on first Regent  (78 nights, the longest cruise being 42 nights) then SilverSea (81 nights) and finally Crystal (27 cruises.) Not a lot, I realize by the standards of many here but alot for us.  Now i am widowed and wondering if this would be a good thing.  We didn’t lose any money to Crystal, fortunately.  Of course i would purchase any-reason no-reason insurance.  What say you all?  Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice,

• Like 4

I'm guessing when you said 27 cruises on Crystal you meant 27 nights!

I've been the Serenity quite a few nights including world cruise 2012 and world cruise 2015 which were both solo cruises for me.

If you like the itinerary and like what you have heard about the new Crystal, I would say go for it.  I am booked on the Crystal World Cruise next year, again as a solo.

When people ask about cruising solo, I always say it's cruising with a few hundred friends I haven't met yet.  This is especially true on a world cruise, where you get to know people.

Good luck in your decision. 

Edited by History&Wine
add solo
  • Like 4

I am very glad to hear you are looking at returning. 

We have many friends who sail solo including one or more segments of the World Cruise.

In fact, a very dear friend who has not sailed Crystal in a few years and who lost his dear wife who was also a dear friend early last year is also taking the San Diego R/T World Cruise.   

I have found a cruise like a World Cruise provides a great opportunity to get to know many people whether you are solo or traveling with another person.

I am glad we had the opportunity to sail with you both a few years ago.

Good luck with this as well.

Take care,

Keith

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Rally said:

I am considering this, San Diego to San Diego as a solo, in a solo cabin.  My late wife and i cruised extensively on first Regent  (78 nights, the longest cruise being 42 nights) then SilverSea (81 nights) and finally Crystal (27 cruises.) Not a lot, I realize by the standards of many here but alot for us.  Now i am widowed and wondering if this would be a good thing.  We didn’t lose any money to Crystal, fortunately.  Of course i would purchase any-reason no-reason insurance.  What say you all?  Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice,

I would TOTALLY do a world cruise as a solo! Of course I'm not single so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

But let me just say that I have thought to myself (and don't tell anyone this LOL!) that if something awful happened and I lost my husband, one of the first things I would do is book a world cruise by myself. I think it would be a lovely way to escape, become comfortable with being alone, make some friends, and enjoy the world while having all my needs met in luxury. 

Just food for thought!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm guessing when you said 27 cruises on Crystal you meant 27 nights!”. No, i meant 27 cruises.  Thank you very much for your insight “History and Wine”

• Like 1

I am taking the round trip San Diego World Cruise -my first solo trip in over 40 years.  Am a little nervous - wondering if I will be lonely,  have to diner alone - all the usual stuff - got to bite the bullet & get back out into the world - think this is a good way to start.     Barbara

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, boatbob said:

I am taking the round trip San Diego World Cruise -my first solo trip in over 40 years.  Am a little nervous - wondering if I will be lonely,  have to diner alone - all the usual stuff - got to bite the bullet & get back out into the world - think this is a good way to start.     Barbara

Fabulous. I hope you have a great time. I bet you will meet many people and have plenty of company. I applaud your courage 

I wouldn't worry about being lonely.  I've cruised solo before and found it very easy to meet people, both solos and non-solos.  It helps if there's some type of ongoing agreement for solos to meet in a specific lounge at a specific time before dinner if they want company.  The roll calls are good for making that kind of initial arrangement. 

I'm considering two segments of the WC (San Diego > Tahiti > Auckland) but I'm concerned about so many sea days.  How do you keep occupied during those long stretches of sea days?  

19 minutes ago, Sprigs616 said:

I wouldn't worry about being lonely.  I've cruised solo before and found it very easy to meet people, both solos and non-solos.  It helps if there's some type of ongoing agreement for solos to meet in a specific lounge at a specific time before dinner if they want company.  The roll calls are good for making that kind of initial arrangement. 

I'm considering two segments of the WC (San Diego > Tahiti > Auckland) but I'm concerned about so many sea days.  How do you keep occupied during those long stretches of sea days?  

I'm on those 2 segments as a solo.  I've never run out of things to  do---trivia, exercise, reading, being a bum---not to  mention eating and drinking.  Sign up.  Julia

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Sprigs616 said:

Typically World Cruises have a lot more enrichment than you find on board for regular cruises to begin with because a certain percentage of people are on for greater lengths whether that is for a full or half world cruise or for multiple segments.  You will see enrichment on the world cruise that you likely won't find on other cruises.  Now we can't be 100% sure what will be offered on New Crystal but since so much of the old enrichment is being carried over from old to new Crystal I believe you will find the stepped up enrichment for the world cruise.  This should mean several more activities in the day.  If they carry over the tradition of the World Games typically on a long leg they will have them.  That offers so much to do for many people just in this one program forgetting everything else.

For us we never were bored on these legs which had a lot of sea days.Solo friends feel the same way which is why many return year after year or every few years.

Keith

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve done several segments on three separate world cruises as a single person, and it’s something that I would do again, and again, if I physically could. But right now cruising is off the agenda for me because I have spent 10 weeks in different hospitals since the beginning of the year. Add to that my travel partner, my sister, was just diagnosed with three different kinds of cancer. So despite the fact that we both wanted to go back on Crystal, it’s unfortunately not in the cards for us, even in the future. But as a solo, I found Crystal to be probably the most welcoming cruise line out of all the very many that I have cruised.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, kitty9 said:

I’ve done several segments on three separate world cruises as a single person, and it’s something that I would do again, and again, if I physically could. But right now cruising is off the agenda for me because I have spent 10 weeks in different hospitals since the beginning of the year. Add to that my travel partner, my sister, was just diagnosed with three different kinds of cancer. So despite the fact that we both wanted to go back on Crystal, it’s unfortunately not in the cards for us, even in the future. But as a solo, I found Crystal to be probably the most welcoming cruise line out of all the very many that I have cruised.

Best wishes to you and to your sister for the best possible medical outcomes.

• Like 2