First time to Alaska, Excursions advice wanted!!

larrybritt

We just booked a 10day on the Crown out of Vancouver leaving July4th. It’s for sure my wife’s dream bucket list trip. I’m looking for any advice, tips and experience on great excursions. We will be in Juneau from 1-9pm, Skagway, Sitka, Ketchikan and Icy Straight. We know they are all a bit pricey but we are open to all options. The one caveat is my wife does not have the best mobility with bad arthritis. So far only thoughts were possible rail ride in Skagway and maybe Some type of whale watching in Juneau or maybe some helicopter trip. Thanks for any help.

Whale watching with Harv & Marv in Juneau.  There is some walking involved, and the tide dictates how steep the ramp is.  Give them a call and discuss it with them.  We have gone with them about six times, and have been very pleased with their service.

• Like 5

White Pass Railroad in Ketchikan. This is accessible - we did it with our son who is in a wheelchair. We went as far as the border. At that point the (bench seats were turned over to face the other way and we went back via the same route. I believe there is a trip that goes on past the border but we didn't do that one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thrak said:

White Pass Railroad in Ketchikan. This is accessible - we did it with our son who is in a wheelchair. We went as far as the border. At that point the (bench seats were turned over to face the other way and we went back via the same route. I believe there is a trip that goes on past the border but we didn't do that one.

There is an excursion that goes to Caribou Junction, Yukon via coach and then back to Fraser, BC where one boards the White Pass Railroad back to Ketchikan.  Well worth the money and time.

30 minutes ago, brisalta said:

(Corrected port)

There is an excursion from Skagway that goes to Caribou Junction, Yukon via coach and then back to Fraser, BC where one boards the White Pass Railroad back to Skagway.  Well worth the money and time.

We loved whale watching with Humpback Adventures in Juneau.  The boat can take 6 passengers, but when we went in 2018, my husband and I were the only ones.  Captain Steve was so kind and gave us a great overview of Juneau and Alaska.  We can't wait to go out again with him in July.

They are expensive, but for a one time bucket list vacation I would recommend a glacier air excursion. Plane or Helicopter. My wife and I did a helicopter and glacier hike and it was well worth the cost - not sure if or when I would pay for it a second time, but for one time -  well worth it.  With mobility issues the glacier hike may not work but I think there are air only flights.  Amazing to be able to get up above the glaciers to understand their scale and beauty better.  Do be aware there is a solid possibly of air tours being canceled due to weather conditions.

Island Wings is amazing. We were lucky enough to go bear watching with her and while I suspect it is to late due to the permitting I would highly recommend her services, pricey yes but memorable!

On 4/23/2023 at 6:33 PM, larrybritt said:

Juneau ~ I would suggest Mendenhall Glacier (possibly flying to glacier and dog sledding) and/or Point Roberts Tramway if the weather is good.

Skagway ~ As everyone else has said, the White Pass Yukon Railway to learn about the gold rush history etc

Sitka ~ Alaska Raptor Rehab facility and Fortress of the Bears

Ketchikan ~ Totem Bight State Park or Saxman Village for totem poles, visiting Creek Street, SE Alaska Discovery Center

Icy Strait Point ~ Whale watching with Glacier Wind

One of our most memorable Alaska excursions was in Juneau...helicopter trip to Mendenhall Glacier where the chopper lands on the glacier.  This was NOT the "hike" excursion...that was a different listing.  This one just landed and we got to walk around on the glacier for about 30 minutes.  They give you boots with the small spikes so you're not sliding around at all...very stable.  Yes...expensive...but we didn't think we would ever be going back.  Turns out we've been back twice since!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In Sitka, my sister and I did the ship's Allen Marine Otter and Wildlife Expedition.  We saw an incredible amount of wildlife- bachelor otter rafts, mom and baby otter rafts, bald eagles, terns, coastal brown bears, gray whale and several humpbacks.  We got to try all kinds of Alaskan snacks on the boat as well, and there were binoculars provided for every seat.  I usually prefer private tours, but this was fantastic!

• Like 1

The Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour out of Ketchikan is unique and lots of fun. It's on the Aleutian Ballad, a fishing vessel that was featured on "Deadliest Catch." The boat has been modified with good seating and heaters (if needed.) Yes, it's pricey, but it's a once-in-a-lifetime experience IMO.

Edited by jhannah
  • Like 2

Loved the Crab Fisherman's Tour as a fan of Deadliest Catch, but that's not a requirement to enjoy the experience. Be sure to watch the video of the boat capsizing fom season 2 though.

Do NOT go whale watching in Juneau when you have a stop in Icy Strait Point. The latter is much better for spotting whales (we saw a mama and calf breaching several times  and a pod of at least eight humpbacks up close and personal and also followed a pod of orca for  while). Of course there are no guarantees, but ISP is favored.

Other options include Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau, Lumberjack show in Ketchican, Salmon bake in Juneau or Ketchican and more.

Wings Airways in Juneau offers two flights in float planes, both over seven glaciers, but the second one lands at Taku Lodge for a salmon bake lunch.

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Juneau...helicopter trip to Mendenhall Glacier

Yes...expensive...but we didn't think we would ever be going back.  Turns out we've been back twice since!

I'm booked on it for next Thursday. 😊

I agree with the above post Sled Dog/Helicopter to the glacier.  We each took a turn mushing the dogs but if your wife does not feel comfortable she can just ride in the sled, that's what an older gentleman did on our trip.  It is expensive and may be cancelled due to weather so maybe have a backup plan.

17 hours ago, jhannah said:

The Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour out of Ketchikan is unique and lots of fun. It's on the Aleutian Ballad, a fishing vessel that was featured on "Deadliest Catch." The boat has been modified with good seating and heaters (if needed.) Yes, it's pricey, but it's a once-in-a-lifetime experience IMO.

We have done this one as well.  We accompanied family members who had never cruised before at all and they said this was one of the highlights for the whole trip for them.  We were scheduled to do the helicopter glacier run (again) but it got cancelled due to extreme foggy weather/low clouds.  Chaoppers could not fly!  The ship made it into port just fine, though.

On 4/23/2023 at 9:33 PM, larrybritt said:

We just booked a 10day on the Crown out of Vancouver leaving July4th. It’s for sure my wife’s dream bucket list trip. I’m looking for any advice, tips and experience on great excursions. We will be in Juneau from 1-9pm, Skagway, Sitka, Ketchikan and Icy Straight. We know they are all a bit pricey but we are open to all options. The one caveat is my wife does not have the best mobility with bad arthritis. So far only thoughts were possible rail ride in Skagway and maybe Some type of whale watching in Juneau or maybe some helicopter trip. Thanks for any help.

We had an absolutely amazing experience with Jayleen's Alaska in Juneau. She operates small boats that take out no more than 6 people at a time. It was a fantastic morning literally surrounded by humpback whales. Jayleen was very easy to work with as well.  We had cruises cancelled two years in a row due to Covid before we finally got to go whale watching with her last summer.

We rented a car in Skagway and drove up the mountain to Emerald Lake.  Then over to have a nice lunch somewhere in Canada.  Saw a bear on the side of the road, along with other wildlife.  They had given us a map of what to see.  Much less than the train, and we really enjoyed it.  Had a group of friends that took the train up a few years later and said that was the highlight of their cruise (other than cruising with me, lol.)  So, you can't go wrong either way.  However, I would do the car rental as you can make as many or as few stops as you would like.

If you do a car rental, go early.  Try to be one of the first up the mountain.  That way you have a much better opportunity to see wildlife.

If the ship offers a small boat tour in Icy Straight, I would take it.

• Like 1