Group of Passengers on world cruise robbed at gun point in Africa

MomC

18 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

Last time I was in St Petersburg I sent passport details to the private tour company and they provided a document that waived the need to carry my passport ashore.

I suppose it meant that they were responsible for me whilst I was there for a couple of days.

Same. It was a really good decision and no regrets using the private tour company. Top notch. 

I’m currently on the Ovation, and today passengers were advised that they must take passports ashore in Zeebrugge Belgium on May 4. No alternatives were mentioned (e.g., photocopy of passport, US passport card, other government-issued photo ID). 

Belgium isn’t at all comparable to South Africa in terms of crime, but I still dislike having to carry my passport around while sightseeing. 

We are on encore. Just the opposite. Government form of Id. Digital copy ok. If you don’t have one the staff will create one and deliver to stateroom 

we will be in Cesme turkey tomorrow

Having been the victim of official police in Spain (Rioja) 2014 holding our passports hostage for cash, we never bring them ashore anywhere except Japan, which is safe. We bring a copy and the passport cards. Also, a couple of trips to South Africa in the past 5 years and we do not recall needing to have our passports. Those trips were land based to Kruger etc. I have been using Clothing Arts gear, that has double/triple zipper pockets for passports. Check it out

• Like 1

I don’t understand why people keep commenting “I never take my passport to shore”. As others have already said, and I’m on this cruise as well, we were NOT ALLOWED to go to shore without our passports. All passports were literally handed to us by Seabourn staff at the top of the gangway as you went out (and re-collected upon each return to the ship). So that is the only reason these poor people were carrying theirs. Please stop the implicit suggestions that you are  somehow smarter / more experienced, as you all would have been in the exact same situation - unless you would have opted to stay on board in all South African ports. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Yes, passports may have been handed out. But the question for all of us going forward is: did anyone prevent you from returning to the ship and leaving your passport in your cabin safe? 

My thinking is that the handout procedure will be rethought going forward. And until it does I would seek to protect my passport by leaving it behind, in line with advice given by US and UK State/Foreign Office Authorities.

Happy and healthy sailing!

On 5/5/2023 at 6:06 PM, markham said:

Yes, passports may have been handed out. But the question for all of us going forward is: did anyone prevent you from returning to the ship and leaving your passport in your cabin safe? 

My thinking is that the handout procedure will be rethought going forward. And until it does I would seek to protect my passport by leaving it behind, in line with advice given by US and UK State/Foreign Office Authorities.

I suppose you can try the old "I left my ________ in the room; I'll be right back."   And then go back to the cabin and leave the passport.  

Of course, two issues with that:  1) A diligent staff member might ask to see your passport when you return to ensure you still have it; and 2) when you come back onboard and they are collecting passports, what do you do?

3 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

I suppose you can try the old "I left my ________ in the room; I'll be right back."   And then go back to the cabin and leave the passport.  

Of course, two issues with that:  1) A diligent staff member might ask to see your passport when you return to ensure you still have it; and 2) when you come back onboard and they are collecting passports, what do you do?

You are like me Rothko--you think of all the downside possibilities...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SLSD said:

You are like me Rothko--you think of all the downside possibilities...

LOL   I've been trained to think like that.

But it is wise to consider the "what ifs" before taking any actions.

• Like 1

Just now, Rothko1 said:

LOL   I've been trained to think like that.

But it is wise to consider the "what ifs" before taking any actions.

Exactly. But, I get castigated at home for thinking this way.  It is good to meet a kindred spirit. 

• Like 1

Rothko1,

I am not too concerned about a crew member shaking me down when I chose to leave the ship without my passport in South Africa. My goal is to keep it safe some purser’s dictates that US/UK government authorities chose not to specify when they advised against carrying passports ashore in South Africa.

About collecting passports of course I would return it to Seabourn Square. No one would sensibly interfere or argue with that action.

For me that is all there is to it. 

On 4/24/2023 at 9:51 AM, MomC said:

Just talked to my daughter.  They are all OK but very shaken up since both a gun and a knife were brandished at them in order to get I phones, purses, etc.

How horrible for your daughter, MomC. How did it go from there? What did they do about missing passports? Were they able to continue cruising?

On 5/1/2023 at 10:45 PM, bitob said:

We are on encore. Just the opposite. Government form of Id. Digital copy ok. If you don’t have one the staff will create one and deliver to stateroom 

we will be in Cesme turkey tomorrow

Stay away from the hand bags😁

On 4/25/2023 at 2:50 AM, Mr Luxury said:

Yes,this is the correct procedure.

Immigration is mostly done on the ship but can be done in a port building if the authorities don't want to or can't be bothered to come aboard.

In this situation I would have to go and get my passport looked at and verified at the port building but I would want to get back on the ship and put my passport in the safe or give it to the pursers office.

I would then take a paper copy of my passport ashore if I could get past security/Immigration without too much hassle.

I had dinner with Handre on Saturday evening before he ran the London Marathon.

He flew out to Cape Town on Monday evening to attend a Seabourn event.

I bet he's devastated.

This is also my preferred mode of operation. I can't tell you how many times I've been told to bring my passport ashore, incluidng on a river cruise, when it was not necessary and no one ever asked for it. I carry a paper copy and an electronic copy ashore. 

8 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

This is also my preferred mode of operation. I can't tell you how many times I've been told to bring my passport ashore, incluidng on a river cruise, when it was not necessary and no one ever asked for it. I carry a paper copy and an electronic copy ashore. 

Very wise

On 4/28/2023 at 7:13 AM, Mr Luxury said:

Croydon is another one.

That’s true. I was robbed on a train leaving Croydon. I was sitting by the door in first class with my briefcase between my legs. One guy opened the door as we pulled into the station and a second snatched my bag. 

8 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

Very wise

And sometimes there is an upside of not having a passport. On a river cruise that docked in Germany, we were told that anyone taking the excursion across the river to Strassbourg would need a passport in case they were stopped by local police. I asked what would happen if we were stopped and had no passport. He said the officers might return us to the ship. I said I would remember that if we missed the last shuttle bus back!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, commodoredave said:

And sometimes there is an upside of not having a passport. On a river cruise that docked in Germany, we were told that anyone taking the excursion across the river to Strassbourg would need a passport in case they were stopped by local police. I asked what would happen if we were stopped and had no passport. He said the officers might return us to the ship. I said I would remember that if we missed the last shuttle bus back!

Hehehe

On 5/10/2023 at 8:57 AM, Mr Luxury said:

Stay away from the hand bags😁

It was the carpets and pottery that did us in as Paul just posted. No fakes though

Edited by bitob
  • Like 1