What are your tips and tricks when going on a cruise?

phatmanandy86

Hello everyone! I've been on 8 cruises, my 9th in July. We are going with some friends who have never been on a cruise before and I'm trying to put together a list of tips and tricks. I've scoured the board and comments of other threads to start piecing together a list but thought I would post my own thread to gather more data. I'm looking for things like buying additional outlet splitter or a usb hub, hooks for the magnetic walls in the cabin, back dinner clothes in your carry on, Do's/dont's, etc., 
We are going on a Princess cruise specifically if that makes any difference. 

Thanks!

Andy

Remember that any "outlet splitters" must NOT have surge protectors -- they are a fire hazard with the ships' electric. 

Also, no need to pack additional dinner clothes in your carry-on. First night dinners are always "casual"; just go to dinner in what you boarded in. Some people like to carry on swimwear to hit the pool or loungers! What goes in your handluggage should include all medications and valuables, as well as anything that would ruin your trip not to have. Namely your passport or other ID! I'm thinking cell-phone charger, other electronics? I'm not above putting a nightshirt and spare undies in the bottom of of the bag that doesn't leave me. It's very very rare that checked suitcases (1) don't show up at your cabin, or (2) don't show up by the next morning in case of #1. But my hand-luggage is packed mostly the same as my daypack on an airline trip.

You can leave carry-on SIZED bags with the porters curbside, as long as you do have a daypack or tote with the things mentioned above that you do not give up. Then you don't have to be weighed down while you explore the ship, get lunch in the Lido, etc.

• Like 3

Just pack like you were going away for a weeklong trip anywhere. Use the ship's laundry if longer. At least if you are sailing on a "mainstream line", you will not need formal dresses/tux. Everything you pack has to be unpacked AND re-packed. It's amazing how much longer it feels repacking at the end of the cruise, because it has to be done all at once, and there is no forgiveness for missing anything. Also your things will seem to have expanded!

Plan for weather of course, but do not think you have to wear something new everyday. My husband and I wear tops two days (if not sweat in over much!) and trousers up to four times! Rotate to air out! This system has taken us around the world more than a few times. The tropics require a 1-day/2-day adjustment and have resulted in additional hotel/ship laundry! But it's better than being weighed down with too much baggage.

No one notices what you are wearing or if you repeat. 

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 5

To me it is wise to make friendly suggestions and why, and not come across as dictating your way is the only way.   Most "must haves" are not.  

We use a USB hub and like it a lot.   I think a good bit of advice would be daily wear on board, like Crystalspin gives.  For a NOOB, I think just explaining what is and isn't included would be a big help.  

• Like 4

If your friends drink a lot of (especially cold) water at home (I always have an insulated mug of ice water next to me, and it gets refilled constantly), taking a travel 'mug' or insulated water bottle can be super helpful - you can refill in the buffet, instead of having to constantly ask for new glasses of water (or end up drinking a lot of pop.) 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, theloo said:

I need to follow this thread.  I'm going on my 7th cruise in July, but my first in 5 years, so I feel like a newbie!

Haha same! My last one was 2018, due to the covid shutdown and just not having the time with so many other things. Much needed vacation. Where are you going in July?

12 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Just pack like you were going away for a weeklong trip anywhere. Use the ship's laundry if longer. At least if you are sailing on a "mainstream line", you will not need formal dresses/tux. Everything you pack has to be unpacked AND re-packed. It's amazing how much longer it feels repacking at the end of the cruise, because it has to be done all at once, and there is no forgiveness for missing anything. Also your things will seem to have expanded!

Plan for weather of course, but do not think you have to wear something new everyday. My husband and I wear tops two days (if not sweat in over much!) and trousers up to four times! Rotate to air out! This system has taken us around the world more than a few times. The tropics require a 1-day/2-day adjustment and have resulted in additional hotel/ship laundry! But it's better than being weighed down with too much baggage.

No one notices what you are wearing or if you repeat. 

Thank you for both posts of your tips and tricks. Helpful for putting together my sheet for my friends. So many are things I've always have done but just haven't thought about when explaining to others. haha.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, neeuqdrazil said:

If your friends drink a lot of (especially cold) water at home (I always have an insulated mug of ice water next to me, and it gets refilled constantly), taking a travel 'mug' or insulated water bottle can be super helpful - you can refill in the buffet, instead of having to constantly ask for new glasses of water (or end up drinking a lot of pop.) 

Yes that is a great one, I do that and plan on suggesting it. 

We have no need for outlet splitters.  

Our carry ons contain only ID, money and cards, phones, medicines, jewelry, my Kindle, and some wine.  That's about it.  

If you get a beverage package, you will get an insulated drinking cup as a part of that purchase ... so consider that before you pack your own insulated mug.  Bring a bit of dish soap so you can wash your mug.  

We pick up ice water many times each day either in the Windjammer Buffet or the Cafe Promenade.  

My hints for a newbie: 

- Lay out your ID, your boarding pass, your money, and your medicines ... double and triple check them as you pack your carry-on.  Everything else you can work around.  

- Plan to arrive a day ahead of time.  Unless you live close to the port, it's just too risky.  

- Understand the need for a check-in time.  If you want to board early (like most people), claim a time ASAP.  If you stay up til midnight the night before your boarding opens, you're guaranteed to get the time you want.  

- Download the app to your phone now.  It'll show you deck plans, menus, and (later) activities.  We ask our Cabin Steward to leave us a paper Compass listing all the day's activities each day as well.  

- Make reservations for the time you expect to eat dinner.  It's easy to change your time onboard, but it's hard to get a prime dinner time as the cruise draws closer /once you're actually onboard. 

- Study the food offerings on your ship ahead of time.  Know ahead of time which ones charge a fee; personally, we rarely spend extra and are always happy with our food.  

- Know that you can ask the staff at Sorrento's Pizza to make up a pizza to your specifications, and you can ask them to box it up so you can take it up to the pool deck.  

- Pack light.  Aside from your clothing, you don't need much.  

- Basics like sunscreen, aspirin, razors and socks will cost a fortune onboard.  

- Ladies will be happier if they bring their own shampoo and conditioner.  The provided big tub of "all in one" is good for body wash.  

- Bring several swimsuits (so you never have to put on a wet suit).  Bring comfortable clothing and especially comfortable shoes.  

- Understand that you must check out towels /if they aren't returned, they'll charge you $25.  We get our towels on Day 1 and exchange them (never return them until the last evening).  This means we always have towels in our room, even if the Towel Station is closed, and our cabin number isn't going in/out of the system constantly /isn't as subject to human error.  

- If you enjoy reading by the pool, bring your own book ... the library is almost non-existent.  It's mainly made up of paperbacks left by previous passengers. 

- Read about the logistics of disembarkation vs. self-disembarkation.  

- Come with a good attitude.  Be nice to the staff and your fellow passengers.  Most people have as good a time as they decide to have.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

We have no need for outlet splitters.  

Our carry ons contain only ID, money and cards, phones, medicines, jewelry, my Kindle, and some wine.  That's about it.  

If you get a beverage package, you will get an insulated drinking cup as a part of that purchase ... so consider that before you pack your own insulated mug.  Bring a bit of dish soap so you can wash your mug.  

We pick up ice water many times each day either in the Windjammer Buffet or the Cafe Promenade.  

My hints for a newbie: 

- Lay out your ID, your boarding pass, your money, and your medicines ... double and triple check them as you pack your carry-on.  Everything else you can work around.  

- Plan to arrive a day ahead of time.  Unless you live close to the port, it's just too risky.  

- Understand the need for a check-in time.  If you want to board early (like most people), claim a time ASAP.  If you stay up til midnight the night before your boarding opens, you're guaranteed to get the time you want.  

- Download the app to your phone now.  It'll show you deck plans, menus, and (later) activities.  We ask our Cabin Steward to leave us a paper Compass listing all the day's activities each day as well.  

- Make reservations for the time you expect to eat dinner.  It's easy to change your time onboard, but it's hard to get a prime dinner time as the cruise draws closer /once you're actually onboard. 

- Study the food offerings on your ship ahead of time.  Know ahead of time which ones charge a fee; personally, we rarely spend extra and are always happy with our food.  

- Know that you can ask the staff at Sorrento's Pizza to make up a pizza to your specifications, and you can ask them to box it up so you can take it up to the pool deck.  

- Pack light.  Aside from your clothing, you don't need much.  

- Basics like sunscreen, aspirin, razors and socks will cost a fortune onboard.  

- Ladies will be happier if they bring their own shampoo and conditioner.  The provided big tub of "all in one" is good for body wash.  

- Bring several swimsuits (so you never have to put on a wet suit).  Bring comfortable clothing and especially comfortable shoes.  

- Understand that you must check out towels /if they aren't returned, they'll charge you $25.  We get our towels on Day 1 and exchange them (never return them until the last evening).  This means we always have towels in our room, even if the Towel Station is closed, and our cabin number isn't going in/out of the system constantly /isn't as subject to human error.  

- If you enjoy reading by the pool, bring your own book ... the library is almost non-existent.  It's mainly made up of paperbacks left by previous passengers. 

- Read about the logistics of disembarkation vs. self-disembarkation.  

- Come with a good attitude.  Be nice to the staff and your fellow passengers.  Most people have as good a time as they decide to have.  

Love these! Thank you so much.

8 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Well dang, we’ve never gotten an insulated cup with any of the adult beverage packages we purchased.  Carnival and NCL were 5+ years ago, Princess last year.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Understand the need for a check-in time.  If you want to board early (like most people), claim a time ASAP.  If you stay up til midnight the night before your boarding opens, you're guaranteed to get the time you want.  

Thanks for these tips!  When does the boarding selection open?

15 hours ago, Sailin Gal said:

Well dang, we’ve never gotten an insulated cup with any of the adult beverage packages we purchased.  Carnival and NCL were 5+ years ago, Princess last year.

that is a Royal thing

• Thanks 1

My tips from a United States perspective (yes, it's a re-post):

• Travel insurance... I get it for one big key reason: Emergency medical evacuation back to the states which can easily cost $100k and upward. Also, your medical coverage may not be available outside the United States. The rest, like trip interruption and lost luggage, are plain gravy to me. 
  • Always fly in at least the day prior to the cruise. Yes, that means paying for a hotel stay, but it's better than waking up at o'gawd thirty to catch a 6 AM flight which you hope doesn't get delayed, only to be dog-tired on the first night of the cruise. If you are staying a few days prior to the cruise, spend a little extra money so that your hotel is within walking or public transit distance of the local attractions instead of renting a car.
  • In addition to putting your contact information on the tag on your luggage (and instead of using that string, plastic zip ties), also include the contact information and hotel you are staying at inside your luggage. Also, since every piece of luggage looks the same. A luggage handle wrap on both handles comes in very handy. 
  • Know how to put your phone in airplane mode, then enable the WiFi mode. 
  • Know how to use the offline maps function of Google Maps so that you can pre-download the port areas or islands of the ports of call.
  • Know how to use the parking function of Google Maps. You may not be renting a car, but once you disembark the ship at each port, you want to set where it is "parked" to make it easier to re-board. This is especially great when multiple ships are at the same port-of-call.
  • Noise canceling Bluetooth headsets and charger. A USB battery pack is also very handy.
  • Know how to use the offline download mode of your favorite entertainment apps so that you can listen to your favorite audiobooks or music and watch your favorite movies or TV shows while on the flight and/or lounging at the pool on sea days. 
  • If you have a password app like 1Password, you can store scans of your driver's license, passport card and book, global entry, and health insurance cards as secure documents for viewing on your mobile device.
  • For those of us who stopped wearing a watch over ten years ago and rely on their mobile phones, know how to manually set the time zone on your phone in case the local time is one hour off ship time.
  • Always take along a small umbrella that can fit into your day bag. Not only for rain purposes, but it's also portable shade. 
  • Have fun! 
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

print paper copies of everything ( boarding passes, shore excursions, airline tickets).  Nice to have backup verification in your phone, but if needed, showing a paper verification to officials can be really helpful.

• Like 4

I rarely wear a watch during regular life, but always wear one while cruising. 

Seconding the recommendation for noise cancelling headset/earbuds, and vigorously seconding the USB battery pack/power bank recommendation. I got a pair of the Bose QCII noise cancelling earbuds for my last trip (London for a week, then QM2 TA back), and they were a fantastic investment. Make sure that whatever style you get, you can adjust the amount of noise cancellation they provide. 

A USB battery pack/power bank is something that goes with me everywhere, whether I'm travelling or not. I rely on my phone for so much, and a lot of apps are battery hogs, so being able to top up the charge on the go (plug the phone into the power bank in my purse) is a lifesaver.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, neeuqdrazil said:

I rarely wear a watch during regular life, but always wear one while cruising. 

Seconding the recommendation for noise cancelling headset/earbuds, and vigorously seconding the USB battery pack/power bank recommendation. I got a pair of the Bose QCII noise cancelling earbuds for my last trip (London for a week, then QM2 TA back), and they were a fantastic investment. Make sure that whatever style you get, you can adjust the amount of noise cancellation they provide. 

A USB battery pack/power bank is something that goes with me everywhere, whether I'm travelling or not. I rely on my phone for so much, and a lot of apps are battery hogs, so being able to top up the charge on the go (plug the phone into the power bank in my purse) is a lifesaver.   

"A USB battery pack/power bank"

That is a good one.  Especially if a power outage is encountered.   We also always bring ours along wherever we go.   

• Like 1

Just my opinion, but I'd like to counter some of the above by saying you don't need to buy and pack a lot of Things to have a good cruise, especially a first cruise.  As long as each person has the necessary documents, a few changes of clothes, and any needed meds, it's all good.  It's not a trip away from civilization.  There is a room, food, beverages, and entertainment for each person.

Sometimes I wonder if the "50 essential things you need to buy for your cruise" is an Amazon scheme.

If anyone had told me all the suggestions I read now I might never have taken my first cruise; it would have been just too overwhelming.  Luckily, I booked, I went, I had a great time, and I've done 50 cruises since.  I still haven't bought any Things (including travel insurance).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not really something you need to bring, but.. 

Hubby and I always cross-pack our luggage, with half of our clothes in each suitcase. This way, if one bag should go missing, we would still have something to wear. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 4/25/2023 at 4:27 PM, phatmanandy86 said:

Love these! Thank you so much.

Glad you liked them!  I'll throw out a few more: 
- Your muster station (emergency check point) must be one of your first stops. 

- When you stop at an island, be sure you understand ship time vs. island time ... and know when you must return to the ship.  

- When you buy a drink, an automatic 18% tip will be added.  

- On the first day, check out all the options in the buffet; for example, they cook fresh eggs all the way at the back of the buffet ... but if you don't do a complete walk-through, you might not notice it.  

- Get some exercise every day.  

On 4/25/2023 at 11:43 PM, theloo said:

Thanks for these tips!  When does the boarding selection open?

I think it's 45 days out -- I'm thinking of Royal.  If you look at your reservation online, you'll see the date.  

On 4/27/2023 at 9:15 AM, Z'Loth said:

• Travel insurance... I get it for one big key reason: Emergency medical evacuation back to the states which can easily cost $100k and upward. Also, your medical coverage may not be available outside the United States. The rest, like trip interruption and lost luggage, are plain gravy to me. 
  • Always fly in at least the day prior to the cruise. Yes, that means paying for a hotel stay, but it's better than waking up at o'gawd thirty to catch a 6 AM flight which you hope doesn't get delayed, only to be dog-tired on the first night of the cruise. If you are staying a few days prior to the cruise, spend a little extra money so that your hotel is within walking or public transit distance of the local attractions instead of renting a car.
  • In addition to putting your contact information on the tag on your luggage (and instead of using that string, plastic zip ties), also include the contact information and hotel you are staying at inside your luggage. Also, since every piece of luggage looks the same. A luggage handle wrap on both handles comes in very handy. 
  • Know how to put your phone in airplane mode, then enable the WiFi mode. 
  • Know how to use the offline maps function of Google Maps so that you can pre-download the port areas or islands of the ports of call.
  • Know how to use the parking function of Google Maps. You may not be renting a car, but once you disembark the ship at each port, you want to set where it is "parked" to make it easier to re-board. This is especially great when multiple ships are at the same port-of-call.
  • Noise canceling Bluetooth headsets and charger. A USB battery pack is also very handy.
  • Know how to use the offline download mode of your favorite entertainment apps so that you can listen to your favorite audiobooks or music and watch your favorite movies or TV shows while on the flight and/or lounging at the pool on sea days. 
  • If you have a password app like 1Password, you can store scans of your driver's license, passport card and book, global entry, and health insurance cards as secure documents for viewing on your mobile device.
  • For those of us who stopped wearing a watch over ten years ago and rely on their mobile phones, know how to manually set the time zone on your phone in case the local time is one hour off ship time.
  • Always take along a small umbrella that can fit into your day bag. Not only for rain purposes, but it's also portable shade. 
  • Have fun! 

- Good point on travel insurance.  We drive ourselves and carry our own luggage, but we buy it for the medical and evacuation ... it's a remote possibility, but the cost could be huge.   

- Yes again to making your luggage stand out.  Personally, we will not buy black or navy suitcases.  We have olive green and rust.  Instead of a location, we put our cell phone numbers in the suitcase.  

- Definitely keep a copy of your important documents (behind a password).  Keep a picture of your suitcase too.  

- Bring any over-the-counter meds you might need (it's the one thing upon which I don't skimp when packing) ... you don't want to overpay or bring yourself to the attention of the medical staff.  

- I personally don't like umbrellas, but I always have a hat.  We don't stop for rain on island days ... as long as I can keep the rain off my face, I'm fine.  

On 4/27/2023 at 10:53 AM, 9tee2Sea said:

print paper copies of everything ( boarding passes, shore excursions, airline tickets).  Nice to have backup verification in your phone, but if needed, showing a paper verification to officials can be really helpful.

I do like to have paper copies of everything, especially my boarding pass.  I find it easier to show the paper than to use my phone.  

4 hours ago, ldubs said:

That is a good one.  Especially if a power outage is encountered.   We also always bring ours along wherever we go.   

I don't use my phone for much, so I don't need this.  The important message is, Know your own habits.  

33 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Just my opinion, but I'd like to counter some of the above by saying you don't need to buy and pack a lot of Things to have a good cruise, especially a first cruise.  As long as each person has the necessary documents, a few changes of clothes, and any needed meds, it's all good.  It's not a trip away from civilization.  There is a room, food, beverages, and entertainment for each person.

Sometimes I wonder if the "50 essential things you need to buy for your cruise" is an Amazon scheme.

If anyone had told me all the suggestions I read now I might never have taken my first cruise; it would have been just too overwhelming.  Luckily, I booked, I went, I had a great time, and I've done 50 cruises since.  I still haven't bought any Things (including travel insurance).

- Agree you don't need a bunch of stuff.  

- Agree that you certainly don't need "50 essentials".  

- Disagree about travel insurance.  I've had to use it.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 2

On 4/28/2023 at 3:08 PM, shipgeeks said:

You have been fortunate on the travel insurance issue.  I agree travel insurance is a gamble, just like automobile insurance and homeowners insurance etc.  On a recent cruise my wife tripped and broke her hand playing miniature golf with 2 grandkids. We thought she was going to have to have surgery in Cozumel when we pulled in and fortunately we had trip insurance which would have paid for the surgery since most US policies won't cover procedures outside the US. The same cruise my DIL forgot her passport (hubby moved it) and they didn't realize it until they got to the pier. She thought she was going to have to miss the cruise and forfeit her money. If they would have taken out trip insurance she would have been able to get her money for the cruise returned. Fortunately she was able to get an aunt to send her a pic of her birth certificate and RC accepted it. Its all a matter of how much risk you can afford, just like in the casino. 

• Like 2

On 4/27/2023 at 8:15 AM, Z'Loth said:

•  

The other way to make luggage stand out if you are crafty but want your luggage to continue to look "professional" for other trips is to use fabric paint and paint dots in a dignified pattern. I've always done this so I can find ours quickly at airports, in cruises, and in bus piles.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2023 at 7:24 AM, phatmanandy86 said:

Haha same! My last one was 2018, due to the covid shutdown and just not having the time with so many other things. Much needed vacation. Where are you going in July?

Hawaii 🤗🌴

• Like 1