What are your tips and tricks when going on a cruise?

phatmanandy86

Going on a cruise can be an exciting and enjoyable experience. Here are some tips and tricks to enhance your cruise vacation:

Research and plan ahead: Research different cruise lines, itineraries, and ships to find the one that best suits your preferences. Consider factors such as the destination, cruise duration, onboard facilities, and activities.

Book in advance: Cruises can fill up quickly, especially during peak seasons. Booking in advance ensures you secure your preferred cabin and can sometimes offer early bird discounts.

Pack wisely: Pack essentials such as travel documents, medications, toiletries, and appropriate clothing for different occasions and destinations. Be sure to check the cruise line's dress code and any specific requirements for formal nights or themed events.

Arrive at the port early: Give yourself ample time to check-in, go through security, and board the ship smoothly. Arriving early also allows you to explore the ship and take advantage of onboard amenities before the crowds arrive.

Familiarize yourself with the ship: Once onboard, take some time to familiarize yourself with the layout of the ship. Locate key areas such as your cabin, dining venues, entertainment venues, pool areas, and spa facilities.

Make dining reservations: Some cruise lines offer specialty dining options that require reservations. If there are specific restaurants or dining experiences you'd like to try, make reservations as soon as you board to secure your preferred times.

Attend the safety drill: All cruise ships conduct mandatory safety drills shortly after embarkation. Pay attention and participate actively, as it is crucial to know the emergency procedures and the location of life jackets and muster stations.

Budget for additional expenses: While many things are included in the cruise fare, such as meals and certain activities, be prepared for additional expenses. These may include gratuities, alcoholic beverages, specialty dining, spa services, shore excursions, and onboard shopping.

Explore the ship's activities: Cruise ships offer a wide range of activities and entertainment options. Take advantage of onboard amenities such as swimming pools, fitness centers, spas, live shows, movies, sports activities, and themed parties.

Participate in shore excursions: Research and book shore excursions in advance or once onboard. These guided tours and activities allow you to explore the ports of call and experience local attractions and culture.

Stay hydrated: It's important to stay hydrated while on a cruise, especially in warm climates. Carry a refillable water bottle and take advantage of water stations throughout the ship to stay hydrated throughout the day.

Stay organized: Keep important documents such as passports, cruise cards, and identification in a safe place. Use a small bag or wallet to carry these essentials with you when disembarking at ports.

Respect the environment and fellow passengers: Practice good cruise etiquette by respecting the ship's rules and regulations, fellow passengers, and crew members. Be mindful of noise levels, cleanliness, and personal space.

Enjoy the journey: Cruises offer a unique opportunity to relax, unwind, and enjoy the journey. Take time to appreciate the stunning ocean views, sunsets, and the overall experience of being at sea.

Remember to check with your specific cruise line for any updated guidelines, protocols, or requirements related to health and safety, as these may vary.

• Like 3

Z'Loth, thank you for your helpful suggestions.  I don't recall reading some of these recently, so my husband is now looking into what he didn't already know on his phone, then will share with me.  Meanwhile, I continue to peruse CC boards for more info for our upcoming cruise!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2023 at 11:54 AM, phatmanandy86 said:

Hello everyone! I've been on 8 cruises, my 9th in July. We are going with some friends who have never been on a cruise before and I'm trying to put together a list of tips and tricks. I've scoured the board and comments of other threads to start piecing together a list but thought I would post my own thread to gather more data. I'm looking for things like buying additional outlet splitter or a usb hub, hooks for the magnetic walls in the cabin, back dinner clothes in your carry on, Do's/dont's, etc., 
We are going on a Princess cruise specifically if that makes any difference. 

Thanks!

Andy

Stay hydrated, drink plenty of water! Cruise food is so rich and delectable, you'll want to stay "regular". My first cruise I overindulged in eating, especially all the foods that were heavily sauced and cheese filled without staying adequately hydrated. I enjoyed my cruise, but I wasn't able to move my bowels for a while. 

• Like 3

On 4/27/2023 at 7:53 AM, 9tee2Sea said:

print paper copies of everything ( boarding passes, shore excursions, airline tickets).  Nice to have backup verification in your phone, but if needed, showing a paper verification to officials can be really helpful.

Be aware!

I left my passport in the printer at home, 3000 miles away. After a few hours of panic we were able to get a new one cause we were sailing out of Miami.

Spray bright paint using a stencil to distinguish your luggage from others.

We use Allianze insurance to cover all our trips taken over a year. How it works: You have a bank of cash to draw on, once it’s depleted naturally you are no longer covered.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2023 at 9:15 AM, Z'Loth said:

My tips from a United States perspective (yes, it's a re-post):

• Travel insurance... I get it for one big key reason: Emergency medical evacuation back to the states which can easily cost $100k and upward. Also, your medical coverage may not be available outside the United States. The rest, like trip interruption and lost luggage, are plain gravy to me. 
  • Always fly in at least the day prior to the cruise. Yes, that means paying for a hotel stay, but it's better than waking up at o'gawd thirty to catch a 6 AM flight which you hope doesn't get delayed, only to be dog-tired on the first night of the cruise. If you are staying a few days prior to the cruise, spend a little extra money so that your hotel is within walking or public transit distance of the local attractions instead of renting a car.
  • In addition to putting your contact information on the tag on your luggage (and instead of using that string, plastic zip ties), also include the contact information and hotel you are staying at inside your luggage. Also, since every piece of luggage looks the same. A luggage handle wrap on both handles comes in very handy. 
  • Know how to put your phone in airplane mode, then enable the WiFi mode. 
  • Know how to use the offline maps function of Google Maps so that you can pre-download the port areas or islands of the ports of call.
  • Know how to use the parking function of Google Maps. You may not be renting a car, but once you disembark the ship at each port, you want to set where it is "parked" to make it easier to re-board. This is especially great when multiple ships are at the same port-of-call.
  • Noise canceling Bluetooth headsets and charger. A USB battery pack is also very handy.
  • Know how to use the offline download mode of your favorite entertainment apps so that you can listen to your favorite audiobooks or music and watch your favorite movies or TV shows while on the flight and/or lounging at the pool on sea days. 
  • If you have a password app like 1Password, you can store scans of your driver's license, passport card and book, global entry, and health insurance cards as secure documents for viewing on your mobile device.
  • For those of us who stopped wearing a watch over ten years ago and rely on their mobile phones, know how to manually set the time zone on your phone in case the local time is one hour off ship time.
  • Always take along a small umbrella that can fit into your day bag. Not only for rain purposes, but it's also portable shade. 
  • Have fun! 

Great tips! Didn’t know about the passport app!

Hi. So choosing an embark time starts at midnight. Is that Ft Lauderdale time if leaving from there? Or if not, what time zone?
This thread is extremely helpful. Thank you.

On 4/25/2023 at 8:49 PM, Sailin Gal said:

Well dang, we’ve never gotten an insulated cup with any of the adult beverage packages we purchased.  Carnival and NCL were 5+ years ago, Princess last year.

On 4/26/2023 at 12:49 PM, Woody14 said:

that is a Royal thing

We got them on Princess years ago when we were on our Honeymoon. Of course that was just shy of 20 years ago so maybe they don't do it anymore

On 4/28/2023 at 1:36 PM, Winky7650 said:

Not really something you need to bring, but.. 

Hubby and I always cross-pack our luggage, with half of our clothes in each suitcase. This way, if one bag should go missing, we would still have something to wear. 

This is brilliant!

• Like 2

I’ve enjoyed quickly skimming this good variety of tips so please forgive me f I repeat anything already mentioned. I’m a woman who has cruised with my husband 30+ times. We consider ourselves efficient packers by now. I have a standard list which I created for both of us, to help us remember must-takes, and we print off a copy and make notes for upcoming cruise. 

We typically cruise 10-24 days, so advice below reflects that. 

- For people who get chilled in the evening venues during shows or in lounges or restaurants, a tip for women, I take a lightweight wool challis wrap (scarf weight) in a generous size and neutral tone to cover shoulders and arms and back where AC vents might be blowing  on you. These fold or roll up small. I typically loosely roll it and fit it into the crown of my sun hat to pack. I have one in ivory, one in black, one in teal. I’ll typically just take one. Wrinkles come out with a steam in the bathroom. 

- To run around the ship, especially to meals, the gym, other ship events, I bought an inexpensive small black zip-up wristlet “bag” from TJ Maxx with a small gusset to add width.  I have my room card, glasses in a soft case, lip balm, phone, earbuds, the absolute minimum basics. At a meal, it sits in my lap or on the table at lunch if it’s just us - reduces the risk of leaving glasses behind or figuring out what to do with room key, glasses, etc. while doing something with hands like eating. I use the tote bag provided in the cabin to go to the pool or if one is not provided, bring a small string bag if I need a bit more cargo room. Fits in the room safe. Easy to transfer needed contents into day bag for shore excursions. My current wristlet has been on the last 20 cruises. Minimal room to pack. 

Lastly, as a retired career Navy officer and retired corporate frequent business traveler, I have my packing down to a regimen that provides variety but minimizes bulk and quantity. Four pair of black slacks - two to alternate going ashore in, with weather and activity appropriate tops/layers and outerwear. The daytime pants might include 1 pair of Columbia-type activity pants. Two to wear on alternate nights, one a palazzo-type, and the other a dressy narrow leg, both in dressier fabrics. That’s it for pants. Two hangers for me. Evenings, I have several shells in jewel tone solids and prints, (blues and pinks/magenta/coral and a black), in polyester for minimal weight and packing space. I bring 3-4 lightweight cotton cardigans, a blue, a hot pink, a white, a black, and swap those around. Pack some looks-real costume jewelry, add in swimwear and gym stuff, 1 pair shore/travel shoes, 1 pair gym shoes, 1 pair evening slip-ons, a pair of Skechers or Vans for daytime on the ship. We usually take 1 big suitcase with interior garment bag, a roll aboard each, a cabin bag each as our personal bag. My actual travel day bag fits in the front zip-up compartment of the roll aboard. As both of us are retired Navy, we roll our clothes up, a habit from uniformed days.

Happy cruising!

• Like 4

On 5/10/2023 at 5:11 AM, hallasm said:

Book in advance: Cruises can fill up quickly, especially during peak seasons. Booking in advance ensures you secure your preferred cabin and can sometimes offer early bird discounts.

Yes, booking well in advance is usually the right choice.  I keep a pretty good eye on my prices (though I'm not seeing drops lately), and -- for example -- I paid $364/person for my husband's October birthday cruise; that cruise is now selling for over $1000.  

On the other hand, SOMETIMES you can catch a last minute cruise for a super low price.  Last December (off-season) we cruised for $99 -- it felt good!  Of course, you're going to get whatever room's left when you book late.  

Stay organized: Keep important documents such as passports, cruise cards, and identification in a safe place. Use a small bag or wallet to carry these essentials with you when disembarking at ports.

I definitely agree with corralling your important items together, even if it's just in a ziplock bag.  We have a nice black travel wallet, which was a gift from a travel agent, and we've used it for YEARS.  My husband likes to carry it, as he feel secure knowing that he has the passports, boarding passes, money, etc. in his backpack.  

On 5/22/2023 at 11:27 AM, Senoj84 said:

Stay hydrated, drink plenty of water! Cruise food is so rich and delectable, you'll want to stay "regular". 

I drink soooo much water on a cruise!  I also have a "rule" for myself that lunch must be a big salad.  I might also have a piece of fish or 1/2 a burger or sandwich, but I go heavy-heavy on veg for lunch every day.  

On 5/23/2023 at 10:34 PM, rtdiva said:

Be aware!

I left my passport in the printer at home, 3000 miles away. After a few hours of panic we were able to get a new one cause we were sailing out of Miami.

It's worth repeating:  Lay out your ID, money, boarding passes, etc. a day or two in advance.  Go over it all with your spouse (two heads are better than one).  Pack it up and be 100% sure everything goes into your bag.  Double check as you walk out the door. 

Worse come to worse, you can do without a forgotten pair of shoes or whatever else ... but without those documents, etc., you're not sailing.  

16 hours ago, TwoNavySalts said:

- To run around the ship, especially to meals, the gym, other ship events, I bought an inexpensive small black zip-up wristlet “bag” from TJ Maxx with a small gusset to add width. 

Yes, I have a wristlet that's probably a decade old -- mine's yellow.  Mine's about 6x8 flat, so it's big enough for my ship ID, a purse hook, a chapstick, a camera.  I don't use it much during the day, as all my day clothes have pockets, but I carry it in the evenings.  

A couple that I haven't seen mentioned yet: 

If you live and die for your morning coffee or tea, bring an insulated travel mug with you. At worst, they're bigger than the wee 5 ounce cups in the MDR so you get a proper cup of coffee. At best, you can carry a refill with you to your first activity of the day -- especially great if you're in a cold climate as it doubles as a hand-warmer! (I go a bit further and bring sweetner and a few unopened packets of a ginger tea that I really like and which is amazing for calming ocean-sick tummies.)

I suppose it depends on climate, but the one thing we always carry when we're traveling are packable rain jackets -- the kind that stuff into their own pockets and can be thrown in bags, looped around your wrist, etc. This means that we stay dry and warm and enjoy outdoor excursions and adventures regardless of the weather and has saved the day a bunch of times. 

If you're cruising with multiple people and are not on Princess with the medallion system, the magnetic whiteboard for your door is amazing -- your friends can leave notes about where they are, what they're doing, etc. 

• Like 1

We always bring a small first aid kit with things like a few sizes of band-aids, anti-bacterial cream, Benadryl, cough and cold medicine, anti-diarrheal, Dramamine, antacids, etc. Don't take a whole bottle, but most of the meds come in individual packets. So take just a couple of doses of each. 

Travel first aid kits are pretty inexpensive (under $10), and you can add whatever else you think you might want. If someone overindulges or gets a blister or a small cut, buying stuff on the ship is REALLY expensive, plus you have to hope that your ship stocks the specific items you want. While they do have a medical center on every ship, there is a fee and very limited hours.

On 6/25/2023 at 12:58 PM, Susan in Maine said:

We always bring a small first aid kit with things like a few sizes of band-aids, anti-bacterial cream, Benadryl, cough and cold medicine, anti-diarrheal, Dramamine, antacids, etc. Don't take a whole bottle, but most of the meds come in individual packets. So take just a couple of doses of each. 

I would recommend taking as many doses as needed per person per day for the duration of the cruise. One never knows when one (or all people in the family) might get a diarrhea, constipation, sea sickness, acid reflux, a cold, etc. for the entire duration of the cruise.

We literally bring an entire backpack of OTC and prescription meds (mostly OTC) for the 3 of us, coz you never know what'cha gonna get.

Plus, every imaginable size of bandaids, if you have a kid who is prone to accidents.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2023 at 3:15 AM, dmrrn73 said:

We got them on Princess years ago when we were on our Honeymoon. Of course that was just shy of 20 years ago so maybe they don't do it anymore

No insulated cup with drinks’ package on Sapphire Princess in March 2023.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2023 at 9:18 PM, theloo said:

I need to follow this thread.  I'm going on my 7th cruise in July, but my first in 5 years, so I feel like a newbie!

Me too!  I actually took even longer this time around, i think im going in #4 but it has been 10 years since my last one, and i know a whole lot has changed, def following.

On 4/25/2023 at 9:46 AM, neeuqdrazil said:

If your friends drink a lot of (especially cold) water at home (I always have an insulated mug of ice water next to me, and it gets refilled constantly), taking a travel 'mug' or insulated water bottle can be super helpful - you can refill in the buffet, instead of having to constantly ask for new glasses of water (or end up drinking a lot of pop.) 

How's the actual water in the cruises?  I drink water like a fish now and no alcohol so i've been wondering how im going to do this 🥴

On 5/3/2023 at 3:52 PM, Subman738 said:

You have been fortunate on the travel insurance issue.  I agree travel insurance is a gamble, just like automobile insurance and homeowners insurance etc.  On a recent cruise my wife tripped and broke her hand playing miniature golf with 2 grandkids. We thought she was going to have to have surgery in Cozumel when we pulled in and fortunately we had trip insurance which would have paid for the surgery since most US policies won't cover procedures outside the US. The same cruise my DIL forgot her passport (hubby moved it) and they didn't realize it until they got to the pier. She thought she was going to have to miss the cruise and forfeit her money. If they would have taken out trip insurance she would have been able to get her money for the cruise returned. Fortunately she was able to get an aunt to send her a pic of her birth certificate and RC accepted it. Its all a matter of how much risk you can afford, just like in the casino. 

I wonder if the travel insurance that my JB card has is enough, it says that as long i pay with it my full trip im covered but not sure of all details.

On 4/28/2023 at 2:36 PM, KP@Sea said:

Not really something you need to bring, but.. 

Hubby and I always cross-pack our luggage, with half of our clothes in each suitcase. This way, if one bag should go missing, we would still have something to wear. 

If we are flying, I do this even though we only have carryon luggage. Sometimes (in the past) 'they' have taken our bags because the passenger compartment was too full! 

7 hours ago, Rubia_Boricua_PR said:

How's the actual water in the cruises?  I drink water like a fish now and no alcohol so i've been wondering how im going to do this 🥴

The water is fine, right out of the tap, or for colder water, get from a bartender or the dispenser in the Lido/buffet. Use a glass to transfer to your own container if you are using one.

7 hours ago, crystalspin said:

If we are flying, I do this even though we only have carryon luggage. Sometimes (in the past) 'they' have taken our bags because the passenger compartment was too full! 

This just happened this week to my son. He had to gate check his bag, and for some reason it did not make it onto the plane. Fortunately, he was traveling home. 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2023 at 8:27 AM, KP@Sea said:

This just happened this week to my son. He had to gate check his bag, and for some reason it did not make it onto the plane. Fortunately, he was traveling home. 

When I travel I always pack underwear, socks, and a tshirt in my “personal item” just in case this happens. That way if they lost my luggage and I need to go shopping I at least have something clean to put on to go. I also try to board early and make sure my carry on isn’t too big to avoid gatecheck. Unfortunately small planes you don’t have a choice.

Familiarize yourself with the ship: Once onboard, take some time to familiarize yourself with the layout of the ship. Locate key areas such as your cabin, dining venues, entertainment venues, pool areas, and spa facilities ...

Stay organized: Keep important documents such as passports, cruise cards, and identification in a safe place. Use a small bag or wallet to carry these essentials with you when disembarking at ports ...

Our habit:  As soon as we board the ship, even if we've been on the ship before, we to up to the tip-top deck and "circle our way down".  We point out to each other /say out loud things we know we'll want:  Oh, look, there's the towel station.  And that's my favorite spot to sit by the pool.  

Definitely cage your documents, etc. together, even if it's just in a ziplock bag.  We have a small travel wallet (a gift from a travel agent years ago) that's perfect for our IDs, boarding passes, envelopes we've prepared for each island.  My husband likes to carry this himself, as he thinks only he is responsible enough.  (Shaking my head.)  Once we get to our room, we lock the whole thing in our safe; having all your documents and money in one container means you're not likely to leave a credit card behind in the safe.  

On 5/22/2023 at 11:27 AM, Senoj84 said:

Stay hydrated, drink plenty of water! Cruise food is so rich and delectable, you'll want to stay "regular". My first cruise I overindulged in eating, especially all the foods that were heavily sauced and cheese filled without staying adequately hydrated. I enjoyed my cruise, but I wasn't able to move my bowels for a while. 

Yes, I have several "rules" for feeling good and not adding on pounds (which I, at 4'11" cannot afford) during a cruise: 

- I drink water, water, water, water, water.  

- At lunch I always have a large salad + a bit of fish, maybe chicken.  Nothing fried.  If I do this at lunch, I can afford to splurge at breakfast and dinner.  

- Two miles on the track or treadmill every day, even if I've walked ashore earlier in the day.  

On 7/16/2023 at 5:11 PM, Rubia_Boricua_PR said:

Water is good onboard.  

I personally like to walk into the Windjammer and pick up a cup of ice water multiple times each day -- the staff has them sitting out "at the ready".  You can also get a cup of water (no ice) at Promenade Cafe.  If you want a big water, bring a Yeti cup /pour in several of the Windjammer's ice waters.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My tip would be in contrast with the popular opinion maybe, but I believe it's best to not arrive early. Choose a later boarding time and you, in most cases, will not have to deal with the thousands of your newest, closest friends all trying to get on the ship at the same time. Start your vacation with truly less stress- fly in the night before, enjoy your morning and get on the ship after 1pm so you can continue vacation mode and not have to go back into high stress mode.

• Like 1