Savor My Catch program

electro

From the salmon fishing excursion description

"Catch a fish? Now enjoy every bite, perfectly prepared by an expert chef and served on board the ship. The Savor My Catch program is a true ocean-to-fork experience and is available with this fishing adventure."

Does anyone have any experience with how this works? Is there an extra fee or is it included in the excursion fee?

Is it served in the MDR?

There is no further info than what I posted here on the HAL website.

Thanks

Lois

I haven't seen that done in over 30 years! It was on the Royal Viking Line, and those who caught fish while on an excursion could have it prepared and served for dinner the (I think) next night. 
IIRC, other cruise lines also did that, but stopped when there were arguments, ending in fighting, when some fishermen claimed it wasn't 'their' fish that was served to them. 

It was lovely, though. At least on that line. 

• Like 1

Here are the details from last year.  

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/shore-excursions/JNU/230022.html

Don't know if it's the same but IIRC, the fish is packed in ice for you and you take it back to the ship. Chef prepares it, and serves it in MDR.  We saw a one or two coolers coming onboard. 

Edited by Boatdrill

One caution from my brother.  Be sure you are visiting during season or you may be very disappointed in the results. 5 years later I still don’t bring this up when my brother and brother in law are in the room😉

• Haha 3

Princess offers this with some of their excursions. If you catch something, it is packaged properly by the operator, and then handed in when you get back to the ship (after marking the bag). You get to select the preparation. 

3 hours ago, RuthC said:

I haven't seen that done in over 30 years! It was on the Royal Viking Line, and those who caught fish while on an excursion could have it prepared and served for dinner the (I think) next night. 
IIRC, other cruise lines also did that, but stopped when there were arguments, ending in fighting, when some fishermen claimed it wasn't 'their' fish that was served to them. 

It was lovely, though. At least on that line. 

Something about this faintly triggered my memory. I believe this was done on the GWC in 2018. Rudi was onboard but I don't remember if it was a HAL excursion or if people did a private excursion but they were excited about the catch. 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2023 at 7:16 PM, Boatdrill said:

Here are the details from last year.  

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/shore-excursions/JNU/230022.html

Don't know if it's the same but IIRC, the fish is packed in ice for you and you take it back to the ship. Chef prepares it, and serves it in MDR.  We saw a one or two coolers coming onboard. 

Thanks, it is the same as the details this year which is to say not much detail at all. Your added info is helpful.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...