Welcome onboard lunch on Koningsdam

mhlcanada

24 minutes ago, mhlcanada said:

Can anyone comment on this from a recent Koningsdam cruise? What time is this available until? 

12 - 1 pm.  It was the exact same menu that the MDR offers every day for lunch when I was on in December - January.  3 of them - exactly the same - nothing special at all.

22 minutes ago, kazu said:

12 - 1 pm.  It was the exact same menu that the MDR offers every day for lunch when I was on in December - January.  3 of them - exactly the same - nothing special at all.

Good to know. Many thanks!

Jacqui @kazu is correct, same lunch menu every sea day including embarkation day. However, they have started adding two “Daily Specials”. Here is today’s menu. 

1B5E22C6-EBBF-4CFA-9538-72F68305AB4A.thumb.jpeg.92a3df04dc45cddc066eb4e9077ebc3a.jpeg

I can’t download the menu from embarkation day, internet is too slow right now. But this will give you an idea. IIRC a Ruben sandwich was one of the specials. They repeated it yesterday and I ordered a half sandwich. It was delicious and I’m picky about Rubens. 

• Like 4

Yes, considering that we paid $25 for a roll in Boston several years ago! 😯

Thank you for the DR lunch menu.  I think I will go ahead and decide what I will have on embarkation day.  😁   I would love to try the Reuben.  I am also picky!

46 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

I would love to try the Reuben.  I am also picky!

My husband thought the Rueben at the NY Pizza and Deli was very good. I loved the pizza and salads.  It is out of the way so perhaps “undiscovered” on embarkation day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 0106 said:

My husband thought the Rueben at the NY Pizza and Deli was very good. I loved the pizza and salads.  It is out of the way so perhaps “undiscovered” on embarkation day.

I hope it's better than it used to be.  A rueben sandwich should be grilled like a grilled cheese not toasted.  It was also soggy.  This was several years ago.  Its good that the koningsdam is opening the MDR for lunch.  It was closed for all my cruises and yes I physically checked.

4 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Yes, considering that we paid $25 for a roll in Boston several years ago! 😯

Thank you for the DR lunch menu.  I think I will go ahead and decide what I will have on embarkation day.  😁   I would love to try the Reuben.  I am also picky!

I thought that the Ruben in the MDR for lunch was 100% better than the Ruben I’ve had on the Pinnacle ships at the NY Deli. I ordered a half sandwich with fries and extra sauce. 
316BF7C2-D8F5-4E9D-B27C-107730C6D980.thumb.jpeg.afddb39b5ece137baaea8442c63b9b3d.jpeg

• Like 3

0106 - Years ago the Red Sox had a catcher Jason Varitek. He lived in a Boston

suburb. He went to a deli and ordered a Rueben to go before the game every time there was a home game at Fenway Park. I guess he thought it brought him good luck.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

BTW, here is today’s MDR lunch menu. I was going to order the tuna melt but when I saw it at the table next to decided not to. Too much bread. So I got the fish of the day—flounder and it was delicious.  

Seems like I always end up ordering the "catch of the day" for MDR lunch and I don't ever remember being disappointed.  It's nice that there is variety there, too -- not the same every day.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

Glad that you pointed out the Catch of the Day offering.  I skipped it over.  I'll have to ask about that each time we visit.  DH loves fish dishes on the cruises.  I like most of it, but my favorite is the lox for breakfast.

I've subbed in salmon for the fish of the day as well.  Had the tuna melt and it was on a normal slice of bread, not a loaf of bread.  It was the best special I had.

• Thanks 1

The street tacos are surprisingly good; I don't eat seafood, so I can't comment on the shrimp, but the beef and chicken are good. With that said, they've always been served in double soft tortillas (as they should be) except for Feb on Nieuw Amsterdam where they came in hard crispy shells. Maybe they were out of tortillas and that's all they could get, didn't ask, but it was strange.