Tipping tour guides

Vineyard View

I tried searching this forum but did not see any references to tipping ship tour guides. I am assuming that everyone does this with Seabourn. Seems like different lines advise different levels of tipping. Curious as to the thoughts on how you determine amount. I also know it can vary by location in the world. We will be in the Mediterranean. Thank you 

6 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

I tried searching this forum but did not see any references to tipping ship tour guides. I am assuming that everyone does this with Seabourn. Seems like different lines advise different levels of tipping. Curious as to the thoughts on how you determine amount. I also know it can vary by location in the world. We will be in the Mediterranean. Thank you 

I wouldn't like to give advice on this topic but I do think that tipping is something private between you and the service provider.

• Like 2

The only advice I would offer is that probably half or more of people do give a smallish tip to the  guide and maybe the driver - assuming they have been good at their jobs.  Obviously not if otherwise, like the driver in Sicily who we noticed from the front seat kept falling asleep, luckily on a long straight road. Or the guide who drones on and on, or doesn't count the numbers properly,  or does not give very clear instructions about timing.

• Like 1

My $.02 USD worth thoughts (and that is about all they are worth)....   If anyone else has better info, I welcome any corrections.

Having taken 3 Seabourn provided excursions on our current cruise (Greek Islands) my assumption is that Seabourn would pay the tour providers enough that the guides would receive a reasonable basic tip, appropriate for the region and duties.  If you feel the guide has gone over and above the "basic" level, then tip accordingly.  For example, we had a 6 hour group tour for which the guide was very good... not outstanding but very good.  If we were on an independent tour, i probably would have tipped $40 - 50.   But, since I assumed that Seabourn was providing a basic tip, we tipped an additional $20.

Thank you all. I will tip as we have when we feel appropriate when sailing on other lines. We won’t be taking many excursions. I have just noticed that some lines give guidelines, while others did not. Wasn’t sure I was missing anything from Seabourn

15 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you all. I will tip as we have when we feel appropriate when sailing on other lines. We won’t be taking many excursions. I have just noticed that some lines give guidelines, while others did not. Wasn’t sure I was missing anything from Seabourn

Yes that's the right decision.

Seabourn guests are intelligent enough to not be micro managed.

Happy cruising 

• Like 3

There is quite a big difference in tipping between the UK and USA. In restaurants in the UK 10-12.5% is usually added to the bill whereas I find when in the USA they recommend 18-22%.

I have always tended to give taxi drivers around 10% of the fare rounding it upto the nearest. I would have thought a similar percentage on a tour.

• Like 1

I've observed on quite a number of Seabourn excursions that most have NOT tipped tour guides.  I've been a bit surprised by that.  I know that tipping is not part of some cultures.  I think it is just up to the person to decide the appropriate amount.  Some guides are truly outstanding in every way and some are quite mediocre.  We always tip the guide and the driver.  The amount has varied.  

• Like 2

I tip the guides who are good to outstanding. Mediocre or less I don't.
What I really don't get is that on another cruise line which 'includes' the excursions in the cost, I have seen people tip a guide and then go straight to the excursion desk to complain about how poor they were 🤔

On 4/27/2023 at 7:17 AM, AmateurGO said:

I assumed that Seabourn was providing a basic tip

I've never seen or heard anything which would support this assumption. Seabourn is paying tour operators whatever tour operators charge. Think about it this way: if Seabourn uses the same tour operator for the same tour as a Princess cruise the next day, do you think Seabourn voluntarily pays the tour operator more and asks each tour operator to give the the extra money to the tour guides and drivers? I think that's highly unlikely.

But we don't need to speculate; Seabourn makes this pretty clear on their website in the Frequently Asked Questions section:

Do Shore Excursions Include Gratuities?

Prices do not include gratuities for local shore excursion guides, drivers, and related service staff. Independent, subcontracted ground operator companies employ all ground staff and these entities do not participate in Seabourn's on board "no tipping" practice. Tipping of guides, drivers and other independent ground staff is at the individual guest's discretion, anticipated and appreciated.

Yes, it's up to each guest's discretion, of course, but this explicitly states that tipping of guides is "anticipated and appreciated."

So there we have it. Case closed. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, RJ2002 said:

Are the zodiac excursions in Alaska staffed by Seabourn personnel or would these be local operators?

The Seabourn Ventures excursions, including their Zodiac excursions, are staffed by the Seabourn Venture team

Nancy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cruiseej said:

I've never seen or heard anything which would support this assumption. Seabourn is paying tour operators whatever tour operators charge. Think about it this way: if Seabourn uses the same tour operator for the same tour as a Princess cruise the next day, do you think Seabourn voluntarily pays the tour operator more and asks each tour operator to give the the extra money to the tour guides and drivers? I think that's highly unlikely.

But we don't need to speculate; Seabourn makes this pretty clear on their website in the Frequently Asked Questions section:

Do Shore Excursions Include Gratuities?

Prices do not include gratuities for local shore excursion guides, drivers, and related service staff. Independent, subcontracted ground operator companies employ all ground staff and these entities do not participate in Seabourn's on board "no tipping" practice. Tipping of guides, drivers and other independent ground staff is at the individual guest's discretion, anticipated and appreciated.

Yes, it's up to each guest's discretion, of course, but this explicitly states that tipping of guides is "anticipated and appreciated."

So there we have it. Case closed. 🙂

Thank you. This really answers my question. I did not locate and I appreciate this. 

• Thanks 1