Need a bit of help with flights

sddsddean

Sorry, didn't really know where to put this!

Planning a trip to the USA and we have to end up in Miami for a cruise (actually two!). We have a 2 1/2 hr internal flight. If prices are roughly the same and I'm not worried about getting or using points, would you, as an American, rather fly with United (either economy or economy plus) or American Airlines (either Main Cabin or Main Plus) and does anyone know if the upgrades to economy plus and main plus are worth it? Any comments gratefully received, as info on the airline websites is a bit vague, so I'd rather rely on peoples experiences.

Thanks

Simon

44 minutes ago, sddsddean said:

Sorry, didn't really know where to put this!

Planning a trip to the USA and we have to end up in Miami for a cruise (actually two!). We have a 2 1/2 hr internal flight. If prices are roughly the same and I'm not worried about getting or using points, would you, as an American, rather fly with United (either economy or economy plus) or American Airlines (either Main Cabin or Main Plus) and does anyone know if the upgrades to economy plus and main plus are worth it? Any comments gratefully received, as info on the airline websites is a bit vague, so I'd rather rely on peoples experiences.

Thanks

Simon

Our experience mostly concerns extra seat room in the more costly seats. We appreciated the room and any extras that come along with it. 

This is better posted in Cruise Air, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/77-cruise-air/

As a long time United flyer, my bias goes there. But in general, for the domestic flight, I wouldn't worry too much about Economy vs Economy Plus, unless money was no object. Certainly, for the international flight I would be seeking highest level cabin I could swing.

Prior to Covid, I flew with United and would pay for the extra leg room. I am 5’8” and the few extra inches allowed me to stretch out my knee and foot which both get stiff due to injuries.

I use the website seatguru dot com. You can input your flight and check which plane she see the measurements for the seats and see the leg room. I am using it as I plan a cross country US flight.

Our experience is on United.  The location of the ‘plus’ seats is also better - directly behind first/business for a faster disembarkation.  I think they also have an earlier boarding group but I’m not certain on that since my DH’s United status includes that.

Edited by capriccio

18 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

This is better posted in Cruise Air, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/77-cruise-air/

As a long time United flyer, my bias goes there. But in general, for the domestic flight, I wouldn't worry too much about Economy vs Economy Plus, unless money was no object. Certainly, for the international flight I would be seeking highest level cabin I could swing.

I agree.  For a 2 1/2 hour flight, economy is fine.  Unless there is some real need to upgrade, like the need for leg room, etc, I wouldn't bother.

So the consensus seems to be United...I haven't got a problem with that. I'll have to decide on whether to go for economy plus. I'm 6' 3", so need all the leg room I can get(!) and its only another $30.

Thanks for the insights.

Simon

23 hours ago, sddsddean said:

So the consensus seems to be United...I haven't got a problem with that. I'll have to decide on whether to go for economy plus. I'm 6' 3", so need all the leg room I can get(!) and its only another $30.

Thanks for the insights.

Simon

Pay the extra $30,  I am a foot shorter and I like the extra inches