No More Veuve, No More Grey Goose

gmbhardy

2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yep.  I order my Bloody Marys spicey, so would be hard pressed to pick up any subtleties in the flavor of the Vodka.

Agreed.  I usually ask for Absolut while on land; no need to pay for premium when it's going to be dominated by the mix anyway.  I do call a brand, though.  The super cheap stuff gives me a pounding headache.

Back to the Veuve, does anyone else find it ironic that the ad for Premium Plus shows a bottle being poured?  I love my Champagne but, though I do prefer Veuve, I could easily live with Moet.  Even a good Cava is OK.  Just not Prosecco.  We'll see how the Pommery Rose is; I've never tried it.  Hopefully they've added new labels by then.

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, JCDCA said:

You can’t get Buffalo Trace at home?  It’s not that high end and is readily available at all liquor stores near my house.  And I’m a ways from Kentucky 😎

Can not.  And, I live about 2 hours from the distillery.  Crazy!  The good news is there are lots of other good bourbons available around here.

Edited by graphicguy

10 hours ago, phillygwm said:

Agreed.  I usually ask for Absolut while on land; no need to pay for premium when it's going to be dominated by the mix anyway.  I do call a brand, though.  The super cheap stuff gives me a pounding headache.

Back to the Veuve, does anyone else find it ironic that the ad for Premium Plus shows a bottle being poured?  I love my Champagne but, though I do prefer Veuve, I could easily live with Moet.  Even a good Cava is OK.  Just not Prosecco.  We'll see how the Pommery Rose is; I've never tried it.  Hopefully they've added new labels by then.

There are some liquors I just can’t drink without getting a migraine.  I know my spelling will be wrong, but “Kumchyaka vodka” is one of them.  Titos?  No problems.

To those wine champagne people, is Moët similar to Veuve?

Edited by graphicguy

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Can not.  And, I live about 2 hours from the distillery.  Crazy!  The good news is there are lots of other good bourbons available around here.

I was at my local liquor store here in Atlanta yesterday and they had an entire pallet of Buffalo Trace right in the middle of the floor...

• Like 1

I'm mostly keeping my FAS+ so that I can get anything by the bottle, rather than the glass. That's my understanding anyway, that the only way to get full bottles (at meal time only, and not to be taken from the dining room!) is to have the FAS+.

12 hours ago, graphicguy said:

To those wine champagne people, is Moët similar to Veuve?

Wine connoisseurs may disagree but, while I can tell a difference, both are good.  They're both owned by the same company, LVMH (as is Dom Perignon.)  Moet tends to be slightly cheaper than Veuve.  So while I'd prefer Veuve, I wouldn't turn down Moet 🙂  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, evanskl4 said:

I'm mostly keeping my FAS+ so that I can get anything by the bottle, rather than the glass. That's my understanding anyway, that the only way to get full bottles (at meal time only, and not to be taken from the dining room!) is to have the FAS+.

Or just bring your own with no corkage fee (with regular FAS) and it will be likely way better than anything you can get by the bottle for free with FAS+. We actually get FAS+ and bring our own wine to have with dinner. 

Edited by fastpitchdad
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, fastpitchdad said:

Or just bring your own with no corkage fee (with regular FAS) and it will be likely way better than anything you can get by the bottle for free with FAS+. We actually get FAS+ and bring our own wine to have with dinner. 

Wow. I guess my palate is just too rough and rocky. If I hear booze is included, then I'm not purchasing booze to bring booze onboard, corkage fee or not. More power to you for enjoying exactly what you want! I grew up/live in a rural area, so I'll just take what I can get. Anything on NCL is more than what I would find around here.

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Just now, cruiseny4life said:

Wow. I guess my palate is just too rough and rocky. If I hear booze is included, then I'm not purchasing booze to bring booze onboard, corkage fee or not. More power to you for enjoying exactly what you want! I grew up/live in a rural area, so I'll just take what I can get. Anything on NCL is more than what I would find around here.

If it's wet and I can get drunk, bring it on :) 

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, phillygwm said:

Wine connoisseurs may disagree but, while I can tell a difference, both are good.  They're both owned by the same company, LVMH (as is Dom Perignon.)  Moet tends to be slightly cheaper than Veuve.  So while I'd prefer Veuve, I wouldn't turn down Moet 🙂  

Thanks for letting me know. 

Again, Wine/Champagne are not my forte.

I just recall having Moët one time.  Out of all I’ve had (including Dom), Moet is probably the one I liked the most.  But, my taste buds are simple and unsophisticated.

Edited by graphicguy

3 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Thanks for letting me know. 

Again, Wine/Champagne are not my forte.

I just recall having Moët one time.  Out of all I’ve had (including Dom), Moet is probably the one I liked the most.  But, my taste buds are simple and unsophisticated.

I prefer Veuve to Moet. If Veuve was unavailable and Moet was available I would be ok. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

I was at my local liquor store here in Atlanta yesterday and they had an entire pallet of Buffalo Trace right in the middle of the floor...

It’s an anomaly around these parts we just can’t figure out.  In OH, where I live, distribution of all liquors is controlled by the state.  IIRC, the distilleries ship directly to the state for distribution.  At least, that’s my understanding.  So, gov’t agency involved, who knows?

That said, I can go right across the Ohio River to get it at a liquor store in KY.  That’s a 25 minute drive for me.  It’s just a real PITA to get to the bridge and then across the river and then drive back.  There’s also a Costco in N. KY with a liquor store attached.  But, that’s about 40 minutes away from me.  If I’m making a big run to pick up a lot of stuff (for me and others) I’ll go there to get BIG bottles of BT.

I was shocked the first time I saw BT on a ship given my difficulty trying to get it in my home state.

All that said, seems like they have just about every Tequila made around these parts.  You’d be happy with the selections.

Edited by graphicguy

36 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Interesting role reversal with a liquor being available on a cruise, but not at home.  LOL!

If I want Buffalo Trace, short of going on a cruise, I have to drive a couple of hours to the distillery.

IMG_0571.png

If I give you my email address, can I connect with you and perhaps gift you a bottle of Buffalo Trace?

52 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

If I give you my email address, can I connect with you and perhaps gift you a bottle of Buffalo Trace?

You’re kind.  Thank you.  Unnecessary, though!

More than happy to connect, however.  It’s my user name at Yahoo!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

You’re kind.  Thank you.  Unnecessary, though!

More than happy to connect, however.  It’s my user name at Yahoo!

Well, as a Kentuckian (transplanted to neighboring Virginia) and a fellow bourbon lover, I hate to see a guy in need and not do anything about it. ☺️

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, graphicguy said:

When I first moved into my house, I threw a party.  Knowing next to nothing about wine, I found a really good wine shop with people who loved to share their passion with people like me.  Anyway, I got two wines (one red, one white, neither expensive.)  To this day, I go back there and load up on the same red Cotes du Rhone label, Domaine Jaume.  It's about $16/bottle, cheaper by the case.  I'm sure it would put people with more refined palates into convulsions but my friends and I enjoy it which is all that really matters.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Any rum drinkers on this thread? My drink of choice is rum and Diet Coke. Preferably Mount Gay, which sadly isn’t part of the offerings. It is a golden rum. What would

be a suitable substitute? I’ll save the white and spiced rums for the umbrella drinks. 

9 hours ago, phillygwm said:

When I first moved into my house, I threw a party.  Knowing next to nothing about wine, I found a really good wine shop with people who loved to share their passion with people like me.  Anyway, I got two wines (one red, one white, neither expensive.)  To this day, I go back there and load up on the same red Cotes du Rhone label, Domaine Jaume.  It's about $16/bottle, cheaper by the case.  I'm sure it would put people with more refined palates into convulsions but my friends and I enjoy it which is all that really matters.

Your wine palate is better than mine.  My basic rule is that as long as it's not out of a box, it's going to be ok...  😆

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, BunnyHutt said:

Any rum drinkers on this thread? My drink of choice is rum and Diet Coke. Preferably Mount Gay, which sadly isn’t part of the offerings. It is a golden rum. What would

be a suitable substitute? I’ll save the white and spiced rums for the umbrella drinks. 

I'd go with one of the Flor de Caña.  Personally, I'd go with the 12 year one, though some folks would consider using that kind of rum as a mixer to be blasphemy.  But that's just my opinion.  (I do the same thing with Appleton 12 year rum.)

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

If you are upgrading to FAS+ from FAS just to get a bottle of wine with dinner then you would do MUCH better to bring your own with no corkage fee both economically and gastronomically. 

Edited by fastpitchdad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/17/2023 at 11:43 AM, luv2kroooz said:

Just using up old stock on the Belvedere last month. Most bars out of stock as Belvedere is phasing out, consistent with the revisions. Grey Goose is now premium. As shown on the April revision. Don't believe me though, just call NCL and they will confirm this. I just did.

For those sailing soon, here is recent menu showing Grey Goose is now premium plus as I shared previously. In the interest of full disclosure,  this was taken from birdtravels recent Escape posts. Glad we are sailing Princess in the fall. We don't have to deal with these laughable menu prices or the sales taxes associated with the same.

IMG_5524.thumb.jpeg.a8e6c27fff54d3f4eeb67d5ddd4fec0a.jpeg.719d5e72a6c5ca19547358b2d3f9d100.jpeghis was 

On 5/1/2023 at 5:16 PM, dbrown84 said:

I tried whistle pig on my last cruise since I had upgraded my package.  It was pretty good.  I drank Macallan enigma and Hennessy XO for the most part 

Hennessy XO!  Now you're talking!  A glass of XO and a cigar and I'm happy!

Elvis