No More Veuve, No More Grey Goose

gmbhardy

I don't remember seeing the 66 Prosecco on Encore in October. I tried the Pommery Rose and couldn't get more than a few sips down.  The Romio I thought was ok for 1 drink but anymore than that had an aftertaste to me. I wish they would at least include the Moet by the glass. Drank my fair share of Pumpkin Spice latte however! Also agree that the coffee in the MDR was undrinkable.

Edited by depplep
Addition
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, dachengdao said:

66 Prosecco was way better and we polished off an entire bottle. 

2 hours ago, AlexandNessa said:

+1. Exactly our experience. Many complained about the aftertaste of the Pommery and much preferred the 66 Prosecco.

25 minutes ago, dachengdao said:

The 66 was included in the main dining room with our P+ on the Getaway (we are onboard now) and yes! Way better than the next level Prosecco. 

is the Prosecco a sweet wine?  

Don't like sweet.

BTW, Duckworth is a fairly decent set of wines.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Don't like sweet.

The 66 is more like crisp green apple, not too sweet as other Proseccos tend to be. 

I think I’ll branch out and try some more of the Duckworth wines. The merlot was definitely a stand out. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Don't like sweet.

It's dry. I didn't think it sweet at all. I'm not a sweet wine/prosecco person either. I'd rather stick to water than Asti Spumante or Moscato and the only Reisling I'll drink is Dry. 

Agree on the Duckworth. The Haven bartender recommended that for Chops. It was very good. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AlexandNessa said:

It's dry. I didn't think it sweet at all. I'm not a sweet wine/prosecco person either. I'd rather stick to water than Asti Spumante or Moscato and the only Reisling I'll drink is Dry. 

Agree on the Duckworth. The Haven bartender recommended that for Chops. It was very good. 

I lost my taste for sweet wines when I graduated college.

glad you liked the Duckworth.  I would never have an issue with Duckworth although we prefer Paso Robles.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just off Encore yesterday. They weren’t out of anything.

Pommery rosé and Prosecco ‘66 always available. I quite like Pommery and have had it previously on NCL and landside. It’s definitely drier, but it’s a nice bottle. People overlook rosé champagnes, thinking they’re “lesser than,” but they’re not. Some of the best champagnes are rosés. The Prosecco ‘66 was good as well, albeit on the sweeter side (as prosecco usually is). It’s MUCH better than the standard Prosecco you get with the regular package.

If you have P+ and order any drinks like aperol spritzes, Hugo spritzes, etc, remember to specify which type of prosecco/champagne you want!

Veuve available by the glass and bottle in both Le Bistro and Ocean Blue. We ate in Le Bistro twice, and both times our servers kept our glasses full all night with the bottle in the wine bucket next to our table.

Oh, and it’s Duckhorn 😉

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, zackarykeef said:

If you have P+ and order any drinks like aperol spritzes, Hugo spritzes, etc, remember to specify which type of prosecco/champagne you want!

Oh, and it’s Duckhorn 😉

Good tip about specifying the prosecco (as well as other spirits) when ordering cocktails.

Duckhorn! 🤦🏻‍♀️ But I like Duckworth better 😆 

For all those whining about Pommery, who haven't heard of it, or who haven't tried it...a simple Google search can answer a lot for you. On Vivino, for example...Veuve has a 4.3 rating with average price of $72/bottle, whereas Pommery has a 4.0 rating with an average price of $65 per bottle. I find wines/champagnes on Vivino with 4.0+ ratings to be typically very good. Other reputable sites have comparable good ratings of Pommery. If you've tried it and don't like it, fine...that's one thing. However, if you haven't, don't think you're getting some cheap, no-name champagne...it's good stuff, and you just might like it. Veuve isn't the end-all be all just because of it's marketing. Landside, there are WAY better options across the board.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 12/11/2023 at 1:40 PM, zackarykeef said:

Veuve available by the glass and bottle in both Le Bistro and Ocean Blue. We ate in Le Bistro twice, and both times our servers kept our glasses full all night with the bottle in the wine bucket next to our table.

This makes me HAPPY!! We sail Encore in April and I am a Veuve lover. We sailed Prima last July and while it was "only" in Le Bistro I was able to VERY NICELY and with a big tip have it brought to MDR and Palomar when I wanted it. Hopefully I have just as good a service on Encore.

On 12/11/2023 at 4:40 PM, zackarykeef said:

Unfortunately that wasn't the case on the Joy recently. Veuve was in Le Bistro only and they would only bring it by the glass (said we had to pay if we wanted a bottle). 3 of us had P+ and the other 3 didn't so we were trying to get enough glasses to share but they would only bring one glass at a time.

54 minutes ago, evanskl4 said:3 of us had P+ and the other 3 didn't so we were trying to get enough glasses to share but they would only bring one glass at a time.

It’s like going to a buffet where there’s an option to buy ala carte too. It’s not fair for people to get a share of the buffet items when they have only paid for a single item. One thing to do in such a situation as this is to use your 40% discount on a bottle for your friends while the three with the P+ just request by the glass. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, evanskl4 said:

Unfortunately that wasn't the case  3 of us had P+ and the other 3 didn't so we were trying to get enough glasses to share but they would only bring one glass at a time.

I can't believe you thought that was allowable! Good on the crew for not letting you do it.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, evanskl4 said:

Unfortunately that wasn't the case on the Joy recently. Veuve was in Le Bistro only and they would only bring it by the glass (said we had to pay if we wanted a bottle). 3 of us had P+ and the other 3 didn't so we were trying to get enough glasses to share but they would only bring one glass at a time.

Why would  you think that is acceptable?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 12/14/2023 at 12:39 PM, evanskl4 said:

Well, yeah, of course that wasn't the case, because that's not allowed. When I dined, it was just two of us, and we both had P+. That's different than trying to order extra glasses to give to people who didn't pay for it...

• Like 4

Disembarked from jade last month, ran out of pommery rose and they tried to pour kool rose, yuck! Days of decent champagne may be over unless in leBistro...Current NCL premium plus states their own brand of rose champagne (is kool here to stay??)

Just when I was learning to tolerate the pommery rose, more downgrades..

For those that like wine, duckhorn merlot only in dinning room/restaurants, decoy cab  elsewhere....unless haven bar?

The days of vueve have sailed away....

Current ncl premium plus info:

With the Premium Plus Beverage Package, elevate your cruise experience with our widest beverage selection both on board and at Great Stirrup Cay.

Here’s what you get:

• All top-shelf cocktails & spirits
    • All beer, red wine, white wine and our exclusive brand of rosé Champagne by the glass
    • Select premium bottles of wine with dinner including our exclusive brand of rosé Champagne and 40% off all other bottles
    • Unlimited soft drinks and juices
    • Unlimited still & sparkling bottled water
    • All Starbucks® coffee & speciality drinks
    • Energy drinks