Unlimited Dining Package -- does it include gratuity

Just now, Cruise4Jesus said:

We got the Cheers package included with a promo rate code recently and was told there was no gratuity extra as it was part of the promo rate code. Cannot speak to it if you are adding the package after booking.

We added it after we booked.  What is the Cheers package?  

1 hour ago, SherriZ366 said:

We added it after we booked.  What is the Cheers package?  

I apologize, the Cheers package is actually Carnival and apparently, I had Carnival on my mind when I answered and thought I had deleted my response.

But you do not have to tip extra. The 18 percent is fine.

And if you are not using the main dining room and want to remove your automatic gratuities (providing you didn’t pre pay before the trip) you can do so at guest services for any reason at any time or by calling guest services from your cabin. Or maybe if you have bad service etc. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, BennyandBo said:

And if you are not using the main dining room and want to remove your automatic gratuities (providing you didn’t pre pay before the trip) you can do so at guest services for any reason at any time or by calling guest services from your cabin. Or maybe if you have bad service etc. 

that’s assuming you will not be eating any meals (breakfast, lunch, snacks) at any other venue since the automatic gratuities cover all of those places. I’d rather not be cheap than run the risk of stiffing these hard working people. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, BennyandBo said:

We decided to tip extra at most specialties because the service was so good. We had not originally planned to, but did.     They were great to recommend choices. We did not go to the MDR or WJ at all but left the daily gratuities in place.  It never occurred to me to remove them.  I've never removed gratuities in 35+ years of cruising.  If by chance I have bad service, I take it up with the head waiter/housekeeping immediately.   Some service is better than others, but it is rare to categorize it as bad.

M

• Like 4

9 hours ago, pstone1 said:

We are suspicious of the 18% and doubt it actually goes to our server, so we still tip in cash directly to our waiter.  

More than likely that cash isn't going to the waiter either.  

A lot of people tip cash at a specialty restaurant.  For a party of four at dinner a tip of about $20 is probably pretty common.  Some will tip more than that, and some less. This is not a recommendation, just a comment.   Some won’t tip at all.  That is also not a recommendation, just a comment.  

I always tip extra at a specialty restaurant and bring plenty of cash for that purpose. 

• Like 2

We usually leave an additional $20 tip for our waiter in all specialty dining spots. Once or twice we've left more when we had a great experience, and once or twice we've left less when we had a disappointing meal or service (luckily that hasn't happened often).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

The 18% is added but if we have a good waiter which is most of the time I will tip extra cash.

We will tip extra for good service as well.  When you think about the 18% and how that divies up over dinner every night and lunches, it's not much.

I'm happy to tip extra, will be a bit less when I have terrible service (like in Playmakers recently).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Liljo22 said:

More than likely that cash isn't going to the waiter either.  

Well, our cash tip discreetly goes into their hand.  What they do with it after that is their business!  To each their own.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

The 18% is added but if we have a good waiter which is most of the time I will tip extra cash.

That's what we'll probably do -- it's just good to know the baseline gratuity that we've already paid (i.e. 18%)

• Like 2

Just now, SherriZ366 said:

That's what we'll probably do -- it's just good to know the baseline gratuity that we've already paid (i.e. 18%)

Everyone tips differently. A lot has to do with what you can afford but we usually tip at least $20 for dinners and $10 for lunches in specialty restaurants.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

Agreed.  There's no way of knowing.

If you hand an employee cash, it is absolutely going in their pocket if they want it to, and I’m pretty sure they all want it to.  I’ve certainly had employees tell me it goes straight to them.  

• Haha 1