cruise leaving from Greenwich

Hallo,

I am on a Seabourn Cruise leaving from Greenwich (London). On the itinerary it says "tender by zodiac".

I asked Seabourn, but so far they only send me an link with cruisemapper which shows to a little island (ponton) right in the river Themse!

Has somebody an idea where I would have to go (by taxi) exactly?

15 minutes ago, directionfinder said:

Has somebody an idea where I would have to go (by taxi) exactly?

I think that this point is the closest that you can get by taxi to Greenwich Pier, which is where it sounds like your ship's tenders may be docking. (That's consistent with the Port of London Authority's cruise ship schedule for 2023, which shows only one Seabourn call this year - Seabourn Venture on Friday 12 May 2023 - which is listed as Greenwich Ship Tier.)

4 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Tendering at the port for the start of a cruise? Are we sure? How do they resupply the ship? Put all the luggage aboard?

This is what bumboats and block & tackle are good for.  Horry Hornblower could easily do this.

Edited by d9704011

6 hours ago, directionfinder said:

On the itinerary it says "tender by zodiac".

5 hours ago, directionfinder said:

So the ship will be at the Ship Tier and the zodiacs will pick us up at the pier. This sounds good.

Personally, I wouldn't be holding out much hope of actually being on a Zodiac for the transfer. I always thought that Seabourn provided classier (if less exciting) tenders.

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Tendering at the port for the start of a cruise? Are we sure?

Yes, this is routine at Greenwich.

I found some old photos of Silver Cloud at (the former) Tower Bridge Lower, using a similar arrangement and a very attractive London resident as a tender.

Ad_1469_1.jpg

Ad_1469_9.jpg

• Like 1

The direct access pier shown in some photos of the Greenwich pier was a proposal a few years ago.  This idea was voted down after the city decided they didn't want the extra cruise foot traffic the pier would generate.

this was what was being used as a tender for our VIKING cruise out of Greenwich in July '18 image.thumb.png.732c2b27c5f640565e066ec2fad17e7d.png

they chartered from the regular water taxi company .....

image.thumb.png.b62cafabdb7dc765eaf5239b20788f02.png

this is taken from deck of Cutty Sark .... the mooring buoys are 'permanent'image.thumb.png.9bb279733b4f923efb52f5237bc141c1.png

Edited by Capt_BJ

6 hours ago, TiiiSailor said:

The direct access pier shown in some photos of the Greenwich pier was a proposal a few years ago.  This idea was voted down after the city decided they didn't want the extra cruise foot traffic the pier would generate.

If you are referring to the Enderby Wharf plan, it twice received planning permission, in 2011 and 2015. The local objections were primarily on environmental grounds, as the plan was for housing right by the cruise terminal and the ships were expected to provide their own power. 

The plan was never “voted down” as such, although the local council is now against it. The new owner of the site is applying to vary the permission to build low-cost rental housing instead. 

5 minutes ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

If you are referring to the Enderby Wharf plan, it twice received planning permission, in 2011 and 2015. The local objections were primarily on environmental grounds, as the plan was for housing right by the cruise terminal and the ships were expected to provide their own power. 

The plan was never “voted down” as such, although the local council is now against it. The new owner of the site is applying to vary the permission to build low-cost rental housing instead. 

I fell into the trap of reading it on the Internet so it must be true. Sorry about that. 

• Haha 1