Hotels in italy

Scott-23

I am going on a cruise to Italy in November at the end of the cruise I will be getting a shuttle from ship to Rome Italy leaving me off at the  Ostiense Train Station I will need a hotel at that time near the drop off point. Does anyone know any hotels within walking distance of this train station as I am not familiar with this area?

57 minutes ago, Scott-23 said:

I will be getting a shuttle from ship to Rome Italy leaving me off at the  Ostiense Train Station I will need a hotel at that time near the drop off point. Does anyone know any hotels within walking distance of this train station as I am not familiar with this area?

The question is a bit broad-- what is your budget? You could get a hotel near that station but it puts you outside of, but just on the edge of, the main tourist area. From a walking and touring perspective there are more centrally located options if you head a little more into the center of town. From the station you would be about a half hour walk from the Colosseum and 45min+ to the Pantheon. 

My point is you could avoid having to use multiple taxis/Ubers from a hotel near Ostiense each day by just taking one to a more centrally located hotel the first day. Again-- this will also all depend on your budget and touring plans which we don't know so its hard to make a specific recommendation. 

Thanks for the info Since I will have luggage, I am looking for something moderately priced that I can get to easily from station. I am somewhat uncomfortable taking cabs in a country I am unfamiliar with and don't speak the language. But if you have suggestions that match my criteria, I will look into them. So, in other words any suggestion is helpful.

Look at the "Hotels in Rome" thread pinned at the top of this board.

Also, there are shuttles that will leave at your hotel. You don't have to pick one that only takes you to a train station. Search this board also for shuttle info.

2 hours ago, Scott-23 said:

What do you mean by pinned at top of this board?

Welcome @Scott-23 to the Cruise Critic website and the message board forums!

Pinned threads (aka Stickies) appear at the top of a forum's first page of threads. The pinned thread in this Italy Ports forum mentioned above is titled Hotels in Rome. Click this blue embedded link Hotels in Rome to go directly to that thread. Please note it has been active since July 26, 2020 so it is a verrrry looooong thread and you will see loooots of information and conversation.

The Cruise Critic website and message boards are a great resource for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are so glad you found us! Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community categories list for the various message board forums. Just click the blue embedded link to go directly to the list. Read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads on the top of the first page of threads in most forums. You will find very important instructions or information there. 

Please note we have a forum just for helping members. To go there, please click the following embedded link: Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! Again, there are numerous pinned threads on the top of the first page of threads regarding many "How to" topics for using the message board forums. If you have any other questions for that forum, just use the Start new topic button to start a new thread on the forum. If you want to comment on an existing thread on that forum that has not been locked, use the Reply to this topic button. 

But before you post a new thread in any forum, browse through the thread titles on the forum looking for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

Anytime you need to start a new thread/topic on a forum, first make sure you are in the correct forum for your topic. Word your new thread title in a way to help the members know exactly the information you seek. This greatly helps the members browsing through the thread titles and if they know the information, they will reply to you. And of course, you will have some members that post just to join in on the conversation. We are a chatty bunch!

Also, it is best to limit each inquiry to only one topic such as one cruise line, one ship, one port of call, etc. and of course, on the correct forum. You will get more replies that way. Be sure to mention your cruise line, ship, port or sail date in your message if that sort of information will help your fellow Cruise Critic members help you.

Want to let you know the specific Cruise Critic Roll Call thread for your line, ship and sail date will be the place for you to get to know the other Cruise Critic members sailing with you before your cruise. Your fellow Roll Call thread members may have important information posted in your Roll Call thread for your specific cruise line ship and sail date. Especially those that have sailed your line, ship or itinerary before. Also, there may be excursion or transportation share requests to save money posted in your Roll Call thread. Roll Call threads are the only place where share requests are allowed on the Cruise Critic message boards. There is a "captive audience" on your Roll Call thread since you are all sailing together! 

To explain our Roll Call threads, please click What is a Roll Call? Everything you Need to Know and How To: Create A New Roll Call. For more information about our famous Roll Calls, please click the Roll Calls and Our Policy Regarding Facebook and Roll Calls sections in the Guidelines we all agree to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships. We also have a Cruise Critic article you might enjoy so click 8 Reasons to Join a Cruise Critic Roll Call.

So sorry this is so long, but I sincerely hope this information will be helpful to someone new to posting on our message boards. We are glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

1 hour ago, Scott-23 said:

What do you mean by pinned at top of this board?

Pinned threads don't move. They stay 'pinned' at the top of the first page. Look at your post and then look at the threads above it on the page.

4 hours ago, Scott-23 said:

Thanks for the info Since I will have luggage, I am looking for something moderately priced that I can get to easily from station. I am somewhat uncomfortable taking cabs in a country I am unfamiliar with and don't speak the language. But if you have suggestions that match my criteria, I will look into them. So, in other words any suggestion is helpful.

If you are afraid to take a taxi, how do you plan on getting around Rome to sightsee? Do you understand enough Italian to use their bus and subway system? Or do you think you can walk everywhere in Rome?? I highly suggest you get a good guidebook for Rome (or for Italy if your cruise will visit some other Italian ports). I can recommend the Rick Steves guidebook.  In it, there are good sections on how to use all the local modes of transportation, including taxis. 

For starters, print out the name and address of your hotel on a card or piece of paper and give it to the driver. How simple is that? As for hotel cost, give us an actual price range. My definition of moderate may be very different from yours.

Edited by mom says

4 hours ago, Scott-23 said:

I am getting a lot of responses to go to maps or links or boards I am computer illiterate and do not know those terms mean Please just give me hotel suggestions if you have any.

Look at this shuttle that takes you from the port to whichever hotel you are staying in.

https://sharedshuttle.it/

You are better off staying in a central location where you don't have to worry about transportation all the time to go sightseeing. 

They will also take you to the airport when you leave.

Edited by marazul

I am getting a shuttle from my port in Rome to the Ostiense Train Station, but I am looking for a hotel near this station ranging between 125.00 to 250.00 dollars. Does anyone know any good hotels? I posted this question yesterday and got responses that talked about pinned sites and other forums My question was reposted in anther forum which I do not know how to get to, I find this website very hard to navigate for myself. So, I am only looking for hotels near the drop off site Pleas do not give me other pinned sites or forums because I will not know how to do this.

Thanks in advance

7 minutes ago, Scott-23 said:

I am getting a shuttle from my port in Rome to the Ostiense Train Station, but I am looking for a hotel near this station ranging between 125.00 to 250.00 dollars. Does anyone know any good hotels? I posted this question yesterday and got responses that talked about pinned sites and other forums My question was reposted in anther forum which I do not know how to get to, I find this website very hard to navigate for myself. So, I am only looking for hotels near the drop off site Pleas do not give me other pinned sites or forums because I will not know how to do this.

Thanks in advance

We are trying to get you to THINK about this. 

It does not make sense for you to stay near the Ostiense Train station. Why do you feel you are limited to this one particular shuttle ride?

What do you plan to do while you are in Rome?  Unless you plan on just staying in your room, look at other locations.

My shuttle from my ship is dropping me off there that is why I am looking there. I really don't have any set plans when I get there, I need to get a hotel first.  I am not comfortable getting a taxi at a train station in a country where I do not speak Italian. 

3 hours ago, Scott-23 said:

My shuttle from my ship is dropping me off there that is why I am looking there. I really don't have any set plans when I get there, I need to get a hotel first.  I am not comfortable getting a taxi at a train station in a country where I do not speak Italian. 

Right now you are picking the (wrong) shuttle first and the hotel second. Yes, you need to get a hotel FIRST.  Then, second, book a shuttle directly to the hotel.  You don't have to be at the mercy of wherever the ship's shuttle drops you off.  

A reliable private shuttle company, such as https://sharedshuttle.it/, will pick you up right next to the ship, at the exact same place the ship's shuttle would pick you up.  It will take you directly to your hotel, not dump you at the train station.  They speak perfect English. You don't have to go to any station to pick up a taxi.  

Look at all the hotel recommendations here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2756652-hotels-in-rome/page/1/#comment-65296698

There are at least 28 pages of suggestions.  Look for hotels in the Piazza Navona-Pantheon area, or between there and the Trevi Fountain or the Colosseum.

Look at the map you got above and click on those hotels.  Or look at third-party sites for hotels that you like and then google the name of the hotel to get their own websites. You will find that hotel rates are a lot lower in November so you should be able to get a good place reasonably.  

Please, think about this.  

Note: The ship's shuttle goes to Ostiense because there is a metro (subway) station there and people can take the metro to the Vatican or wherever else they are going.  Or get taxis to wherever.  It also means that the shuttle doesn't have to go into the Central Rome traffic. It is really meant for day trippers.

Edited by marazul

18 minutes ago, Scott-23 said:

Is there a phone # for the shuttle service The web site does not provide one and I have questions  only a live person can answer.

A live person will answer your emails.  Easier with the time difference.

Also, look at this map with all the hotels marked.  It is the Central Rome area we are all talking about.  The prices will be somewhat lower in November.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/Hotels/@41.8984895,12.4787582,17.25z/data=!4m8!2m7!3m6!1sHotels!2sRome,+Metropolitan+City+of+Rome+Capital,+Italy!3s0x132f6196f9928ebb:0xb90f770693656e38!4m2!1d12.4963655!2d41.9027835?hl=en

2 minutes ago, Scott-23 said:

Not sure what I was going to see I was going to sites near my hotel. Also, what is the email I can email shuttle service?

You should see a lot of red dots on the map with prices on them.  Those are the hotels.  Click on any of them.  They are all within easy walking distance of the main tourist sites: Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, etc.  A little longer walk to the Forum and Colosseum.  

Look at the Pantheon slightly left of center on the map.  

Use this form to send a message to Shared Shuttle.  It gets sent from your email when you click "Send message."  The replies go directly to your email and you can keep corresponding from there.

https://sharedshuttle.it/contatti.php