Midnight Buffet or Chocolate Buffet

lenquixote66

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

The only time I enjoy being at cruise buffets is for desserts.I prefer the midnight buffet.

Our Midnight Buffet is a Latenight Snack at 1130PM with selected items.

Not like the old days where it was a killer table and setup.

Cheese board, Seafood Display, Array of Breads and Rolls, Cold Cuts, Banana Foster etc.....

No More..

28 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Our Midnight Buffet is a Latenight Snack at 1130PM with selected items.

Not like the old days where it was a killer table and setup.

Cheese board, Seafood Display, Array of Breads and Rolls, Cold Cuts, Banana Foster etc.....

No More..

I agree.The old days of cruising had the best late night buffets.

17 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I agree.The old days of cruising had the best late night buffets.

I still remember in my mind it being held on the QE2 in the once called Columbia Restaurant.

And at that time of night Midnight the doors opened, yes it was packed. How can you turn away a display like that.

2 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I still remember in my mind it being held on the QE2 in the once called Columbia Restaurant.

And at that time of night Midnight the doors opened, yes it was packed. How can you turn away a display like that.

I remember most the midnight buffets on the Cunard Ambassador and on the HAL Zuiderdam.

(Did you ever go to Herbies International Buffet in Brooklyn?)

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I remember most the midnight buffets on the Cunard Ambassador and on the HAL Zuiderdam.

(Did you ever go to Herbies International Buffet in Brooklyn?)

No

The only Chocolate Buffet close to the end of the sailings was on the HAL.

22 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

(Herbies was exactly 5 minutes north of the Deli.)

I remember all the buffets as I grew up especially in Long Island

called Patricia Murphy's - what buffets.

2 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I remember all the buffets as I grew up especially in Long Island

called Patricia Murphy's - what buffets.

I am older than you.There were no buffets when I was growing up.Herbies was the first I ever went to when I was in my 30’s.

17 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I am older than you.There were no buffets when I was growing up.Herbies was the first I ever went to when I was in my 30’s.

Yes we did have buffets with all sort of items and two carving boards. Also when you came they took your bar order and brought a radish tray on chipped ice with radishes, celery, carrots etc..

And also they brought the cubes of butter on chipped ice for the bread..

Such traditional dishes and nothing like you see today....

36 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Yes we did have buffets with all sort of items and two carving boards. Also when you came they took your bar order and brought a radish tray on chipped ice with radishes, celery, carrots etc..

And also they brought the cubes of butter on chipped ice for the bread..

Such traditional dishes and nothing like you see today....

I often post that I miss the old days when life was much simpler.

• Like 1

I recall a chocolate buffet onboard the SS Norway way back when.  It was great for chocoholics.  It featured more than 100 feet of chocolate treats.  

Over the past 50 plus years we have seen many superb gala buffets.  A few of them stand out as really memorable.  The greatest was on the TS Bremen…truly stupendous.  So many wonderful food memories back in the days when cruising was a luxury.  

40 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I recall a chocolate buffet onboard the SS Norway way back when.  It was great for chocoholics.  It featured more than 100 feet of chocolate treats.  

Over the past 50 plus years we have seen many superb gala buffets.  A few of them stand out as really memorable.  The greatest was on the TS Bremen…truly stupendous.  So many wonderful food memories back in the days when cruising was a luxury.  

I haven't seen one since we were on HAL after we switches from the QE2.

When we started with the QM2, never remembered seeing one.

10 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I haven't seen one since we were on HAL after we switches from the QE2.

When we started with the QM2, never remembered seeing one.

Gala and specialty buffets are a thing of the past from the golden age of luxury cruising.  The Ocean View Cafe has taken over as a substitute as the ships grew larger.  Buffets on deck used to be hit or miss…temporary food offerings set up on deck if the weather was right.  They were for lunch only.  Now you see a huge dedicated upper deck space inside and outside serving breakfast, lunch, dinner and late night snacks.  Quite a change from years ago.

I remember the chocolate buffet (extravaganza) on Norway, as well.  It was held in the afternoon one day, and very well attended!

The best midnight buffets in our cruising history were on the Premier ships.  We would go with the intention to just look, and maybe have a glass of milk.  Run into a dinner companion, grab a table together, end up consuming a bunch of crab legs, pastrami sandwiches, cheesecake, and so much more.

I just sailed on a cruise that had a Chocolate Extravaganza. All sorts of pastries, candies, fondue, cakes, cookies, etc.  I think it started about 10:00pm and went on for about 90 minutes or so. 

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

I just sailed on a cruise that had a Chocolate Extravaganza. All sorts of pastries, candies, fondue, cakes, cookies, etc.  I think it started about 10:00pm and went on for about 90 minutes or so. 

Let me quess…Silversea?  Nice to know they are still out there.  

10 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Let me quess…Silversea?  Nice to know they are still out there.  

Hi CGT, yes it was on Silversea and they are definitely still there. They have 2 new ships coming within the next 15 months. Actually the first ship is coming this summer and I am sailing her in November😀

The 2nd ship will be out next year.  I just sailed out of Athens all around Greece and Turkey. It was wonderful🙂

14 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi CGT, yes it was on Silversea and they are definitely still there. They have 2 new ships coming within the next 15 months. Actually the first ship is coming this summer and I am sailing her in November😀

The 2nd ship will be out next year.  I just sailed out of Athens all around Greece and Turkey. It was wonderful🙂

Sounds nice Lois.  I’m glad to hear that at least Silversea is doing the chocoholics delight!  Then again they’d probably do anything you requested…lol.

9 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Sounds nice Lois.  I’m glad to hear that at least Silversea is doing the chocoholics delight!  Then again they’d probably do anything you requested…lol.

Hi CGT, good morning. They don't have the "Chocolate Thing" on every cruise. Actually, it has been a long time since I can recall them doing it on my previous sailings.