Round 2: Don't pay for excursions with gift cards

Eli_6

36 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

Other than simple curiosity, the answer to that shouldn't have any impact at all.  From the retailer's perspective, gift card value is the value, not the amount paid for it.

I think there could be an accounting issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

Did you use a discounted gift card?

Yes it was.  What the FunShops rep told me was that since the cruise was booked through a travel agent they had to do a manual reconciliation (or what the heck ever it's called) to make sure that the replacement e-gift card didn't go to the travel agent.  

Edited by groundloop
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I think there could be an accounting issue.

It should have zero impact.  The retailer has to account for the value remaining on the gift card, not the amount paid for it.  Example, I purchase a gift card valued at $100 for $90.  Debit cash for $90, debit discounts for $10, credit gift cards payable for $100 (amounts and account names made up for the example).  When I purchase something with the gift card - debit gift cards payable for $100, credit sales for $100.

Edited by Schoifmom

2 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

It should have zero impact.  The retailer has to account for the value remaining on the gift card, not the amount paid for it.  Example, I purchase a gift card valued at $100 for $90.  Debit cash for $90, debit discounts for $10, credit gift cards payable for $100 (amounts and account names made up for the example).  When I purchase something with the gift card - debit gift cards payable for $100, credit sales for $100.

The refund process not the purchase process. The money can't go back on the gift card - they are not refillable.

3 hours ago, groundloop said:

Yes it was.  What the FunShops rep told me was that since the cruise was booked through a travel agent they had to do a manual reconciliation (or what the heck ever it's called) to make sure that the replacement e-gift card didn't go to the travel agent.  

Could totally be.  When Covid hit I was managing 3 rooms for our self and family.  Had to go through several iterations of booking and cancelling stuff.   Because of how the gift cards were used (I had my name and address on all of the payments we used them for) all the monies actually came back to me (for all 3 rooms).  So I then squared up with my family members as needed.

When you buy anything (excursions, fun shop, spa, etc) it asks for the name, address and phone number of the person paying even when using a gift card.

So if a TA is doing it, that could be the major hiccup, also might be tied to the fact somehow that when you use a TA they basically "own" your booking.

14 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

The refund process not the purchase process. The money can't go back on the gift card - they are not refillable.

Absolutely, they are not refillable.  The refund process would entail the retailer issuing a new gift card.  Again, the original purchase price of the gift card has zero impact on the process.  Debit sales $100, credit gift cards payable for $100.  They are not refunding the original purchase price of the gift card, they are issuing a new one with the same VALUE equal to the amount redeemed on the gift card.

Edited by Schoifmom

Sounds like a lot of time and angst might be saved if when cancelling, one simple called the fun shops rather than doing it online?

And I don’t ever remember being asked my name and address when purchasing excursions with a gift card. They already have that on the booking.

2 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Sounds like a lot of time and angst might be saved if when cancelling, one simple called the fun shops rather than doing it online?

And I don’t ever remember being asked my name and address when purchasing excursions with a gift card. They already have that on the booking.

Yep in the payment screen section, you have to fill it in, even with a gift card.  If you don't it won't let you hit the "complete" transaction button.

20 hours ago, groundloop said:

This is what I was told this time as well. Apparently, the magical combination to not receive your refund and have to call is the combo of: Booked cruise with TA + used gift card to pay for excursion/fun shop purchase + then canceled. 

Last time, I was not told that, but I didn't ask either. I simply wasn't told anything.  They just filled out the form and I got the gift card...and I was happy.  

Again the title of this thread should read instead of what it reads: DON'T BOOK WITH A TA THEN PAY FOR EXCURSIONS WITH A GIFT CARD AND CANCEL.

If you do, just call the fun shops to cancel rather than canceling online because you will never see your refund if you simply cancel online no matter how long you wait. 

2 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

Absolutely, they are not refillable.  The refund process would entail the retailer issuing a new gift card.  Again, the original purchase price of the gift card has zero impact on the process.  Debit sales $100, credit gift cards payable for $100.  They are not refunding the original purchase price of the gift card, they are issuing a new one with the same VALUE equal to the amount redeemed on the gift card.

after manual reconciliation.

17 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

after manual reconciliation.

IF you have booked your cruise with a TA.  I never do and have cancelled many Fun Shops purchases made with discounted gift cards and always received a prompt refund.

1 hour ago, Schoifmom said:

IF you have booked your cruise with a TA.  I never do and have cancelled many Fun Shops purchases made with discounted gift cards and always received a prompt refund.

Well there ya go!

While this particular situation has never happened to me, this has been a good learning thread. It  seems we need to know better than the Carnival agents so we can assist them 😉 since a fair amount of agents need to learn their trade a bit better. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, n6uqqq said:

While this particular situation has never happened to me, this has been a good learning thread. It  seems we need to know better than the Carnival agents so we can assist them 😉 since a fair amount of agents need to learn their trade a bit better. 

More resources should be put towards training new employees and continuing the training of present employees. This is a problem caused by management.

2 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

More resources should be put towards training new employees and continuing the training of present employees. This is a problem caused by management.

This is a residual problem caused by a pandemic that the world is still in recovery from.

Edited by BlerkOne

2 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

This is a residual problem caused by a pandemic that the world is still in recovery from.

And that is all the more reason to devote resources to training.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And that is all the more reason to devote resources to training.

They are training, but cruisers are such slow learners. Hell, they can't even manage smart elevators.

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

Not so sure about this. Long before covid one could call Carnival three times and get three different answers to a question. It has been stated out here multiple times if you don't get the answer you want call back until you do 😉 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, n6uqqq said:

Not so sure about this. Long before covid one could call Carnival three times and get three different answers to a question. It has been stated out here multiple times if you don't get the answer you want call back until you do 😉 

You still can. What's the problem?

2 hours ago, n6uqqq said:

....It  seems we need to know better than the Carnival agents so we can assist them 😉 since a fair amount of agents need to learn their trade a bit better. 

THIS particular issue, in my most humble opinion, is a result of messy procedures Carnival has in place.  Why should it be so difficult to issue _ME_ a refund (via an e-gift card) for an excursion which _I_ purchased while logged into _MY_ Carnival account?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, groundloop said:

THIS particular issue, in my most humble opinion, is a result of messy procedures Carnival has in place.  Why should it be so difficult to issue _ME_ a refund (via an e-gift card) for an excursion which _I_ purchased while logged into _MY_ Carnival account?

And there you have it! It's the process that is convoluted and not so much an issue with training. Imagine all the combinations of possible problems which can arise and train every one of your employees to deal with them efficiently--especially since no one wants them to transfer your call. Then throw in all of us thinking we know better how to run the company and trying to "just simply change A to B but split it in half while paying for it with C and a little of D but wanting it only if the weather is perfect that day in the future". Why is that so hard!?

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

They are training, but cruisers are such slow learners. Hell, they can't even manage smart elevators.

Once again, you post a response that is a non sequitur.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

You still can. What's the problem?

No problem at all. I am just saying Carnival's ineptness in many areas was around long before covid and covid isn't really a factor for this being the case. They need to iron out the refunds for sure.