Unable to Reach HAL By Phone - What Is Up??

Sea-n-Ease

HAL newbie here.  I have been trying to reach someone, anyone, at HAL for three days to book my first HAL cruise.  Tried my PCC’s number, left VM’s… no call back.  Have tried several other phone numbers.  No one ever picks up.  Is this typical of HAL?  If so, it will likely push me to a different cruise line. 

48 minutes ago, Sea-n-Ease said:

HAL newbie here.  I have been trying to reach someone, anyone, at HAL for three days to book my first HAL cruise.  Tried my PCC’s number, left VM’s… no call back.  Have tried several other phone numbers.  No one ever picks up.  Is this typical of HAL?  If so, it will likely push me to a different cruise line. 

Sometimes there are days when this happens, then the next day you get straight through. Try calling the generic PCC number, don't enter the number for your PCC, and just hold. I've found I usually get someone without much wait that way.

8 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Sometimes there are days when this happens, then the next day you get straight through. Try calling the generic PCC number, don't enter the number for your PCC, and just hold. I've found I usually get someone without much wait that way.

Thanks for that suggestion, but already tried that.  Still could not get through to anyone. As a HAL first-timer, I had higher expectations. Maybe it’s another red flag…. Numerous embarkation day horror stories also have me re-thinking HAL

[heavy, sad sigh] 

• Like 1

Just a warning that you may not get correct information from the agent who answers your call. I recently asked an agent a question about a New England cruise and she replied: "where is that? In London?" She also was pronouncing Canada can-a-DEE-a so you can't really count on the agent to be knowledgeable about everything (or anything).

Edited by BobbiSox
typo
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Sea-n-Ease said:

I have questions and issues that call for a phone discussion.

40 minutes ago, Sea-n-Ease said:

Maybe it’s another red flag…. Numerous embarkation day horror stories also have me re-thinking HAL

The place to ask the questions is here as the knowledge base on HAL is much better than someone hired a month or two ago. If you must call try early in the day when the lines first open. Once the day wears on the answers can get foggy. As for the embarkation day stories of late almost all have come from the opening day for the Alaska season out of Vancouver and not all of the issues were of HAL's making.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sea-n-Ease said:

If you're new to HAL perhaps you would be better served by booking through a travel agent.  The travel agent may have answers to questions you haven't even thought about and you won't spend days trying to get through to HAL.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Destiny0315 said:

The place to ask the questions is here as the knowledge base on HAL is much better than someone hired a month or two ago. If you must call try early in the day when the lines first open. Once the day wears on the answers can get foggy. As for the embarkation day stories of late almost all have come from the opening day for the Alaska season out of Vancouver and not all of the issues were of HAL's making.

Thanks!  Ironically, Vancouver (Canada Place) is the port I’d be departing from, early June.  Yikes!  😄

2 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

If you're new to HAL perhaps you would be better served by booking through a travel agent.  The travel agent may have answers to questions you haven't even thought about and you won't spend days trying to get through to HAL.

And a travel agent might very well be able to quote a lower fare and/or supply OBC.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sea-n-Ease said:

Thanks!  Ironically, Vancouver (Canada Place) is the port I’d be departing from, early June.  Yikes!  😄

The recent review about a Vancouver embarkation sounded awful, but also unusual.

Last summer I boarded the  Zuiderdam in Vancouver for an Alaska cruise over the 4th of July.

We were the only ship in port that day, and embarkation went very smoothly. The Z's capacity is 1,964 guests, and the terminal handled it well.   

On the other hand, the Koningsdam (which is on the Vancouver/Alaska run this summer) 

has a capacity of 2,650 guests. If the K is the only ship in that day, it may be a strain on the

terminal. If it's a double ship day, with the K and perhaps a large Princess ship, it will be very crowded, and shoreside operations staff will do the best they can.  

Check Vancouver's cruise ship schedule so you'll know what to expect.  https://www.portvancouver.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/2023-Schedule-as-of-February-12-1.pdf

Edited by Boatdrill

To answer the OP's initial question --

I use the all-purpose number 877 932-4259‬. I made one attempt at having a PCC, and it was a total failure. My experience with the all-purpose number is generally quite good. I call with questions, to do bookings, and anything else you'd use a PCC for. Rarely, when I make the mistake of calling at a known busy time, I get the "try again later" message, but that is rare.

I hope this is helpful. 

• Like 1

Canada Place seems to always be in a state of chaos. Switching to another cruise line won't solve that. 

The onboard experience on HAL is quite different than the phone experience. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Sea-n-Ease said:

are you calling   1-855-932-1711  call in the morning open at 7:00am pacific time

It just took me an hour and 45 minutes to get through to HAL's Flight Ease desk, but I DID get through.  Patience is a must.

And FWIW, HAL is a really nice cruise line and to give it up because of issues of getting through to them would just be sad.  Believe me, they are worth the wait! 😊

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

The recent review about a Vancouver embarkation sounded awful, but also unusual.

Last summer I boarded the  Zuiderdam in Vancouver for an Alaska cruise over the 4th of July.

We were the only ship in port that day, and embarkation went very smoothly. The Z's capacity is 1,964 guests, and the terminal handled it well.   

On the other hand, the Koningsdam (which is on the Vancouver/Alaska run this summer) 

has a capacity of 2,650 guests. If the K is the only ship in that day, it may be a strain on the

terminal. If it's a double ship day, with the K and perhaps a large Princess ship, it will be very crowded, and shoreside operations staff will do the best they can.  

Check Vancouver's cruise ship schedule so you'll know what to expect.  https://www.portvancouver.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/2023-Schedule-as-of-February-12-1.pdf

We leave Vancouver this weekend and there are 4 ships listed. Will having priority embarkation help with boarding? We are in. Neptune suite.

3 minutes ago, hikergirl said:

We leave Vancouver this weekend and there are 4 ships listed. Will having priority embarkation help with boarding? We are in. Neptune suite.

On our embarkation from Vancouver in September, the lines through security were very, very long. Even after that we sat for a very, very long time waiting for the ship to be ready. We were also in a Neptune suite, and went ahead of most, but still had the wait. Let's hope things are getting better.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hikergirl said:

It'll help when it's time to board the ship. 🙂 

Pack your patience, keep your sense of humor ready, and enjoy the 

spectacular sailaway from Vancouver.

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1