Hotels in Athens

floridababa

Agree: Athens Gate Hotel.  Beautiful views of the Acropolis.we walked all over even to the changing of the guard. The guide/driver who picked us up at the port said we picked the best hotel in Athens. We’ve booked it again for November.

On 5/3/2023 at 10:43 PM, floridababa said:

Can anyone recommend a hotel in a great area of Athens?

If you want to splurge a bit and have fantastic amenities (like a rooftop restaurant and rooftop pool that overlook the Acropolis) my favorite hotel in town is the Hotel Grande Bretagne. Part of Marriott's Luxury Collection, you can sometimes get great deals using Bonvoy points. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone in this Forum, we have now booked out Pre and Post hotels in Athens.

1 day Pre Cruise:

Athens Gate Hotel, Athens

Aug 26, 2023 - Aug 27, 2023

Day of Disembarking

Elia Ermou Athens Hotel, Athens
Sep 3, 2023 - Sep 4, 2023

So excited.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, beloum said:

Trying to decide if it would be better to spend the night before in a hotel closer to the port in Pireaus, or is transportation easy from Athen to the port on the day of the cruise?   

It's quite easy -- only 20 minutes by taxi. There's no need to get there the day before.

On 7/17/2023 at 6:55 PM, JerryInIL said:

Wow, Athens Gate is already booked for our May 2024 Athens to Venice cruise.  Does anyone know the Marble House? 

Keep checking Athens Gate.  I looked at several random dates in May 2024 and they show plenty of rooms, though I don't know your exact dates.

Or maybe email them to see if they have a room?

• Like 1

Athens Capital Center Hotel by M Gallery.  Next to parliament and across from Grand Bretagne and Syntagma Square.  Excellent hotel, rooftop pool and bar with view of the Acropolis and amazing staff,  Can walk to all the sites in 15 min or less,

On 7/23/2023 at 10:40 AM, megr1125 said:

Keep checking Athens Gate.  I looked at several random dates in May 2024 and they show plenty of rooms, though I don't know your exact dates.

Or maybe email them to see if they have a room?

Same here. Was looking but showed no available. Will keep checking.

WARNING:

We stayed at the 5-star Athens Coco-Mat hotel just next door to the Hera Hotel where we have also stayed.  The Coco-Mat opened in a renovated building during the pandemic and it has a rooftop pool which we loved.  HOWEVER, the top court of Greece has just ordered the Coco-Mat to demolish the top two floors of the hotel (added during the renovation) because it exceeds the height for center city buildings.  Whether this ever happens or not is uncertain, but beware of booking there in case the government actually follows through with the condemnation.  We were unaware of this when we were there, but I am certainly glad this action was mandated.

https://neoskosmos.com/en/2023/07/15/news/greece/hotel-that-blocks-view-of-acropolis-ordered-to-demolish-top-floors/

https://news.gtp.gr/2023/07/13/greek-tourism-ministry-shuts-down-athens-hotel-for-construction-violation/

Edited by marazul

3 minutes ago, marazul said:

WARNING:

We stayed at the 5-star Athens Coco-Mat hotel just next door to the Hera Hotel where we have also stayed.  The Coco-Mat opened in a renovated building during the pandemic and it has a rooftop pool which we loved.  HOWEVER, the top court of Greece has just ordered the Coco-Mat to demolish the top two floors of the hotel (added during the renovation) because it exceeds the height for center city buildings.  Whether this ever happens or not is uncertain, but beware of booking there in case the government actually follows through with the condemnation.  We were unaware of this when we were there, but I am certainly glad this action was mandated.

https://neoskosmos.com/en/2023/07/15/news/greece/hotel-that-blocks-view-of-acropolis-ordered-to-demolish-top-floors/

https://news.gtp.gr/2023/07/13/greek-tourism-ministry-shuts-down-athens-hotel-for-construction-violation/

Oh my; that's one for the books! 😮

• Haha 1

In April we stayed at the Ad Athens hotel, great location, metres away from Acropolis museum, and walking distance to most attractions.  Rooftop patio with sensational views of Parthenon and Acropolis and the owner and staff were exceptional.  Also great Greek breakfast on rooftop patio.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2023 at 7:40 AM, -The-True-North- said:

Thanks to everyone in this Forum, we have now booked out Pre and Post hotels in Athens.

1 day Pre Cruise:

Athens Gate Hotel, Athens

Aug 26, 2023 - Aug 27, 2023

Day of Disembarking

Elia Ermou Athens Hotel, Athens
Sep 3, 2023 - Sep 4, 2023

So excited.