To Plus or not to Plus.., our experience

remydiva

On 5/6/2023 at 7:58 AM, remydiva said:

Agree with you.. do the math. 

I also tipped our room steward separately.

Just know that if you remove the daily automatic gratuities from your bill, that your cabin steward is not permitted to keep what you have tipped them.

1 hour ago, nini said:

Just know that if you remove the daily automatic gratuities from your bill, that your cabin steward is not permitted to keep what you have tipped them.

That is no longer the case.

There was an interview with John Padgett recently where he stated that cruise members can keep personal tips,  whatever the customer does with autotips. 

6 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

The majority of the guests purchasing the package will lose money

Prove that sweeping generalisation please.  

The "break even " level is so low,  with regards to drink consumption, that your assertion is almost certainly wrong. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I would sure hate to be your liver.

5 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Neither can I, but I can equally not imagine downing 2 in one meal!!

Perhaps I should have been clearer. 

Two bottles, drunk by myself and wife, during the preparation,  eating, and clearing  of the meal.

6 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

With the amount of alcohol many seem to be drinking with this package, maybe they have bigger problems than just the math. Both the American & Australian Medical Associations recommend no more than ten alcoholic drinks per week. That seems to per a daily number for some here.

Judging by the profile pictures of many posters, there are quite a few overweight people on the forum, but I feel no need to pass judgement on their diets !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, MTNest93 said:

Our TA is our daughter so I’m sure we didn’t over pay for the cruise.  

That's totally different.

She paid out of her pocket for the package as a gift. 

20 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

That's totally different.

She paid out of her pocket for the package as a gift. 

I can assure you she did not pay out of pocket.  It has to do with the volume of business the agency she works for does with Princess. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

If Princess Cruises did not make a great profit on this package, they would not offer it. The majority of the guests purchasing the package will lose money.  Maybe in your case, that is not true, always outliers when you look at a group.

With the amount of alcohol many seem to be drinking with this package, maybe they have bigger problems than just the math. Both the American & Australian Medical Associations recommend no more than ten alcoholic drinks per week. That seems to per a daily number for some here.

Perhaps none of this is any of your business.  Princess offers various packages and it’s up to us to decide if we want it or not.  Period.  Yes, Princess makes money on the packages, but you are not forced to buy it.  How much alcohol people consume is strictly their decision and you have no right to judge anyone.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

If Princess Cruises did not make a great profit on this package, they would not offer it. The majority of the guests purchasing the package will lose money.  Maybe in your case, that is not true, always outliers when you look at a group.

With the amount of alcohol many seem to be drinking with this package, maybe they have bigger problems than just the math. Both the American & Australian Medical Associations recommend no more than ten alcoholic drinks per week. That seems to per a daily number for some 

Edited by Lady Arwen
Duplicate

7 hours ago, nini said:

This reads like a myth. I would be astounded to learn turning in a personal gift is company policy. If you can show this in a Princess document, not a CC post or heresay, I'd be interested to read it. 

Edited by mtnesterz

3 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

This reads like a myth. I would be astounded to learn turning in a personal gift is company policy. If you can show this in a Princess document, not a CC post or heresay, I'd be interested to read it. 

That indeed was the policy historically,  but it has now been rescinded. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nini said:

I do realize that and explained it further in a later post.

To clarify , we pay the daily crew appreciation AND tip extra to those who go above and beyond,

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Can you provide a link since you stated it's easily enough to find?  

I thought it would be, but obviously not the case.

The interview was pasted in  one of the many tipping threads, where the policy of autogratuitues being pooled throughout the fleet was being discussed.

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I thought it would be, but obviously not the case.

The interview was pasted in  one of the many tipping threads, where the policy of autogratuitues being pooled throughout the fleet was being discussed.

When you find it, please reply and provide a link. Thanks.

8 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

When you find it, please reply and provide a link. Thanks.

1 hour ago, remydiva said:

I do realize that and explained it further in a later post.

No, the question is, where is the policy that crewmembers must turn in personal gifts? Asking @wowzz to show a policy that they don't have to turn in gifts is a fool's errand. No. Show us the proof, not a thread, not heresay, that this was, or is a Princess policy. If you can't do that then stop spreading myth. I am not interested in either side, not your opinion, not what you saw somewhere. Just the facts.

Edited by mtnesterz

A related question to ask which can contribute to the calculation on whether a drink package is worth it is: What are the occasions and venues on the ship that offer free drinks? For example, Captain's Club welcome party, Platinum and Elite welcome party? How many times do these occur (does it depend on the length of the cruise)?

Secondly, one can order the special drinks at the P&E lounge during happy hours on most days, at a discounted price ($8 / drink was the latest I heard). 

Lastly, each person can bring one bottle of wine at time of embarkation to enjoy in the cabin.

I think these factors all can contribute to the calculation of whether or not to go for a drink package. IMHO.

1 hour ago, mtnesterz said:

No, the question is, where is the policy that crewmembers must turn in personal gifts? Asking @wowzz to show a policy that they don't have to turn in gifts is a fool's errand. No. Show us the proof, not a thread, not heresay, that this was, or is a Princess policy. If you can't do that then stop spreading myth. I am not interested in either side, not your opinion, not what you saw somewhere. Just the facts.

Princess is not going to be publishing their internal compensation policies.  It is only going to be a situation where a crew member tells a guest they know or whatever.  Higher up in the thread it was stated that JP made a comment indicating the situation.  If that is found, then fine.  Otherwise, second hand is all we have to go on.

34 minutes ago, CCBB said:

Secondly, one can order the special drinks at the P&E lounge during happy hours on most days, at a discounted price ($8 / drink was the latest I heard). 

Is that still a "thing" ?

On 5/7/2023 at 8:02 AM, Coral said:

I am in your situation. I don't drink alcohol and hate the price increase but may do it next week for the convenience. Still debating..... I have a ton of OBC, otherwise, I probably wouldn't even be thinking of it. My thought was that if I don't do it - I just won't order any drinks (mocktails, fresh squeezed OJ, etc...) and will stick with water... So it is difficult for me to do the math.

@Coral

just had a thought.   In your situation, the calculation is actually different.

Without the package, you're at risk of leaving some OBC on the table, is how it sounds to me.

How much?    Take a guess .... whatever the number, subtract that from the cost of the package and you'll get YOUR real  price for the package.

Very likely that number, YOUR cost, will be close enough to break even that you can justify it to yourself, go ahead and try having the package, & enjoy it! 🙂

• Like 1

15 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

$1.50 for fountain sodas, plus 18% gratuity

San Pellegrio and Perrier are sparkling waters, and the still will vary, whatever is available locally.

Thank you!

Do you know what they charge for water?