Please Help Me Decide

15 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Ditto, especially when they engage with the passengers and have a sense of humour - I'm thinking of Paul McD on Princess last year who was not only a very talented pianist but also kept us in fits of laughter with some of his medleys.

Yes engaging with passengers is key, a musical famiiy.  We had one who knew everyone’s names.  If you tried to discretely sneak in late, mid song he would say “where have you been, Marion.  We missed you.”

Hi Oskar. We are actually on the Barrier Reef cruise on P&O Pacific Encounter at the end of this month. Will happily fill you in when we get back!!!

We have cruised with P&O quite often over the years (though last time was pre Covid) mostly doing the South Pacific and have always had a wonderful time. Although we weren't travelling with kids, there seemed to be a lot of activities for them and they seemed to be having a ball.

We've always found the food to be good and the staff (especially the cabin stewards) to be exceptional. The entertainment was always good and we found plenty to do.

But, as I said, this was pre covid, so we will have more current information for you next month.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ceeceeDee said:

Hi Oskar. We are actually on the Barrier Reef cruise on P&O Pacific Encounter at the end of this month. Will happily fill you in when we get back!!!

We have cruised with P&O quite often over the years (though last time was pre Covid) mostly doing the South Pacific and have always had a wonderful time. Although we weren't travelling with kids, there seemed to be a lot of activities for them and they seemed to be having a ball.

We've always found the food to be good and the staff (especially the cabin stewards) to be exceptional. The entertainment was always good and we found plenty to do.

But, as I said, this was pre covid, so we will have more current information for you next month.

I would love it if you could feed back.  Thanks. I am finding it hard to find recent info on the company, so anything you can share would be great.  

I see that they changed their menus a few weeks back and are now charging for things in the main dining room that  I would consider cruise staples (eg eggs bene at breakfast, burgers for lunch, steak at dinner). I am admittedly feeling a put put off by that as I like to go on a cruise and know that unless I choose to eat at specialty spots, my food costs are pretty much covered.  In saying they are cheaper, so I have to factor that in when making a decision.  

Will gladly give honest feedback. Some items on the main dining room menu have always attracted a surcharge. You always had to pay extra for steak (I remember that distinctly because I ordered it a couple of times). I don't recall burgers being extra, but then I'm not a big fan. I have always found their included dishes to my liking so aside from paying for the aforementioned steak, I dined very well from the included dishes. I think last time on P&O, the only outlay I made on food was the steak and an evening at Luke Mangan's (which was awesome and well worth the price).

Bear in mind, too, that you don't have to fork out for gratuities. We paid big time (in my opinion) when we sailed the Eastern Caribbean on Symphony of the Seas! Then again, we went in with our eyes wide open so we were expecting it. Still, it is a bit of a culture shock.

I'll take particular notice of dishes that attract a surcharge on Encounter and let you know.

Also, if you book your cruise early there is usually on board credit attached to the booking so you could put that towards any extras.

• Like 1

Hi oskarNZ, I have cruised on the Luminosa and many times with P&O, although not on the Encounter.

I haven't been onboard since they started charging for the eggs Benedict etc. and will admit that I find that a little disappointing, but all the cruise companies have changed since the Covid shut down and I have always been happy to pay a little more onboard for such a good price for the cruise in general. 

I like a drink but struggle to get my money's worth with Carnival at $120 per day. The shows on P&O definitely win for me, bingo is cheaper and more money is returned to the players on P&O. The entertainment team are great and there seems to be more fun trivia on P&O. The piano bars on Carnival are fun, as are the alchemy bars! I found the comedy club on Luminosa to be very disappointing, just for the fact that it is soooo small. Nearly every night it was full 30mins before the first show and then people just didn't leave - the room held less than 100 people so it was a real scrum at times.

I have never been on a cruise that I didn't love on either cruise line, price point and itinerary would help me to decide, between these two at least.

8 hours ago, LincolnLegend said:

Hi oskarNZ, I have cruised on the Luminosa and many times with P&O, although not on the Encounter.

I haven't been onboard since they started charging for the eggs Benedict etc. and will admit that I find that a little disappointing, but all the cruise companies have changed since the Covid shut down and I have always been happy to pay a little more onboard for such a good price for the cruise in general. 

I like a drink but struggle to get my money's worth with Carnival at $120 per day. The shows on P&O definitely win for me, bingo is cheaper and more money is returned to the players on P&O. The entertainment team are great and there seems to be more fun trivia on P&O. The piano bars on Carnival are fun, as are the alchemy bars! I found the comedy club on Luminosa to be very disappointing, just for the fact that it is soooo small. Nearly every night it was full 30mins before the first show and then people just didn't leave - the room held less than 100 people so it was a real scrum at times.

I have never been on a cruise that I didn't love on either cruise line, price point and itinerary would help me to decide, between these two at least.

This comparison is very useful.  Thank you.  I really dislike when cruises put popular shows in small rooms and it’s a scrum to get inside.  

My favourite onboard experiences have been ones that distribute what is happening around the ship so as to spread the crowds out.  Celebrity for example, seemed to have very little going on inside during our sea days, so getting a seat around the pools was always difficult.  It’s therefore good to hear P&O offer a lot of fun trivia options. 

Out of interest, have you been on P&O Adventure?  (I see that is pretty much the same ship design as the Encounter).  If so, did a ship with so many pools and shared spaces distribute the crowds well?  
I keep watching You Tube videos of all 3 ships and the Encounter/Adventure really do look like lovely ships that have been updated well.  The design and the way they have utilised upper deck spaces does seem a bit more reminiscent of the likes of Royal Caribbean which I think my family might enjoy as long as the crowds are distributed well.  

We returned last Friday from a 10-night cruise on the Pacific Encounter to PNG. I will mention that we were on the Encounter twice last year. We noticed that there are more 'pay' items on the menu. At breakfast fried and scrambled eggs are available (with or without bacon) and also omelettes. There is a charge for eggs Benedict and a few other items. At lunch, a very poor Caesar salad is available, with an extra charge of $3 or $4 for grilled chicken on top. There are other 'sides' available at extra cost - including fries (where they aren't part of the dish). We felt there were many more items with a surcharge than there were last year when (for instance), eggs Benedict were an included item.

Other observations - There was a trivia session at 9am and again at 5pm with a 'fun' trivia at 10.15am. The shows were '7' (great), Musicology (great) and a new one 'One' that we didn't get to see because we were at Blanc de Blanc.This is an adult show (cost $20pp) in the Black Circus room. Most people we spoke to enjoyed it or thought it was great - we didn't. We weren't offended, we just didn't like the show. A few others also said they didn't like it. The show (1 hr 20 mins) relied in large part on semi-nudity and I felt that some segments went on too long. A warning - if you don't like full nudity don't sit at the sides of the theatre where the view around strategically held towels or a flag gives quite an eyeful.  🙂 I am glad we were closer to the centre of the theatre.

• Like 1

I can’t comment on either HAL or Carnival, however we have done both P&O and Royal Carribean and just came off Pacific adventure yesterday. 

we quite like P&O but we tend to utilise them in our winter season when other ships are not here. If it’s during our summer season we would always choose RCI over P&O

P&O ships are old, they have refurbed the public areas nicely but the rooms are small and haven’t been updated and starting to look a bit rough round the edges. Food is good but the new menus are a little unimaginative and having to pay extra for basic items is a bit off I feel. I had avo on toast and they wanted extra for a poached egg!! Entertainment is ok, shows are excellent, a few solo duo artists around, however we couldn’t get a seat for any trivia all weekend. 

we do love RCI, the ships are new, modern, spotless and so much to do, cabins are large and modern. We love the variety of entertainment on board from shows to bands to musicians, trivia’s practically every hour and loads of different venues so somewhere to spread everywhere out. We did the GBR cruise last November and yes it was busy but the ship holds the crowds well. 

• Like 1

Another comment re the Pacific Encounter cruise last week. We were on board for 11 days. The only changes to the menu were in a small section called "Crew Favourites" where one item was changed occasionally. In the Waterfront restaurant the menu stayed the same for all three meals in the day and in Angelos the menu stayed the same. We felt this was very poor.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Another comment re the Pacific Encounter cruise last week. We were on board for 11 days. The only changes to the menu were in a small section called "Crew Favourites" where one item was changed occasionally. In the Waterfront restaurant the menu stayed the same for all three meals in the day and in Angelos the menu stayed the same. We felt this was very poor.

I agree the menu staying the same is poor.  Usually on ships I find “the crew favourites”’were my favourites. On Luminosa 

the Indian meals were my favourites.

I don’t like the idea of paying extra for food, which you have paid for!  Specialty restaurants  are different, as you can choose not to go there.  

• Like 1

Interesting to read about the extra charges for food.

We were on the explorer in March and there wasn't any extra charge for eggs bene or for fries on that cruise.

My wife had eggs bene and I had poached eggs most mornings in the waterfront which were not on the menu I just asked for them and I got them with no extra charge.

The waterfront menu changed completely every 3 days. 

We are on the Adventure in late May so I will be able to see any changes then.

The show 7 is the best show I have ever seen on a ship, just fantastic short stories with very good performances by the singers and dancers.

The trivia was always well attended especially the cruise directors in the main theatre every morning.

Daz

• Like 2

I was on Pacific Explorer last month.  No charge for Eggs Benedict for breakfast.

However, they only had 1x breakfast menu, and 2x lunch menus.  It seemed random as to which lunch menu they would be using.  Sometimes they alternated, other times they had the same menu for 3 consecutive days.

The dinner menu changed daily, though the menu for the last (9th) night of the cruise was the same as for the 1st night.

Of the shows, I really enjoyed 7, and the Rock show.  Didn't think much of the show they did on Gatsby night.

• Like 1

Thanks so much everyone for your really helpful feedback.  I would reply individually to all of your thoughts but are in a bit of a rush this morning.  

I just wanted to add that after speaking again to our friends, it seems that they just aren’t in the financial position to book a vacation over the next year or so, so it will be just my family of 3 going on a cruise.

I’m disappointed, but also it relieves the pressure of feeling like I might make the wrong choice.

With that in mind, I have narrowed our options to the HAL and P&O cruise.  I like Carnival, but am keen to try something else.  

I’m leaning towards HAL, but I want to sit down tonight and crunch everything (shore excursions, drinks, HAL gratuities, flights etc), to work out if the value for the P&O cruise is still worth considering. 
If P&O really is considerably cheaper, I suppose I can look past paying an extra $4 for a side of fries, but I have to be honest, it would irritate me a bit.  I fully understand paying extra $$ for things like seafood and expensive cuts of steak, but not things like burgers, hot dogs and fries.  It seems they have decided over the last couple of weeks to start upcharging on comfort foods, which is really odd given that carb-loaded food like this fills people up at less cost to the cruise line.  I could happily go a week without eating this type of food, but seeing all these up charges on a menu does kind of mess a bit with that all-inclusive bubble feeling.  

On the flipside, I do like all the rave reviews I’m reading about the evening shows such as the one ‘7’.   I will have to Google them.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Regarding the P&O up-charge on side dishes - with quite a few menu items in the MDR, fries are included. The up-charge applies only if you want it added to other dishes.

Knowing children they will want chips!

5 hours ago, oskarNZ said:

Thanks so much everyone for your really helpful feedback.  I would reply individually to all of your thoughts but are in a bit of a rush this morning.  

I just wanted to add that after speaking again to our friends, it seems that they just aren’t in the financial position to book a vacation over the next year or so, so it will be just my family of 3 going on a cruise.

I’m disappointed, but also it relieves the pressure of feeling like I might make the wrong choice.

With that in mind, I have narrowed our options to the HAL and P&O cruise.  I like Carnival, but am keen to try something else.  

I’m leaning towards HAL, but I want to sit down tonight and crunch everything (shore excursions, drinks, HAL gratuities, flights etc), to work out if the value for the P&O cruise is still worth considering. 
If P&O really is considerably cheaper, I suppose I can look past paying an extra $4 for a side of fries, but I have to be honest, it would irritate me a bit.  I fully understand paying extra $$ for things like seafood and expensive cuts of steak, but not things like burgers, hot dogs and fries.  It seems they have decided over the last couple of weeks to start upcharging on comfort foods, which is really odd given that carb-loaded food like this fills people up at less cost to the cruise line.  I could happily go a week without eating this type of food, but seeing all these up charges on a menu does kind of mess a bit with that all-inclusive bubble feeling.  

On the flipside, I do like all the rave reviews I’m reading about the evening shows such as the one ‘7’.   I will have to Google them.  

On HAL there is steak available in the MDR every night, no extra. Also burgers, hot dogs, chips etc. are available at the Dive In - can becooked to order.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/dining/dive-in.html

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

On HAL there is steak available in the MDR every night, no extra. Also burgers, hot dogs, chips etc. are available at the Dive In - can becooked to order.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/dining/dive-in.html

Princess doesn't have steak every night in the 'included' section of the menu, but you can order chips or steamed veges or whatever at no extra cost. When I order barramundi, I ask for chips. Mashed potatoes aren't as good with Barramundi.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Princess doesn't have steak every night in the 'included' section of the menu, but you can order chips or steamed veges or whatever at no extra cost. When I order barramundi, I ask for chips. Mashed potatoes aren't as good with Barramundi.

Agree

On 5/7/2023 at 10:20 AM, oskarNZ said:

... the activities at the top of the bucket list are the ones that cost a lot (eg Great Barrier Reef, river tubing, possibly visiting Whitehaven Beach etc).  I would struggle a bit knowing beautiful locations and fun activities like that are within our reach and we didn’t try them.  

Hi, I've been wondering for a while whether to respond to the above.

We have done snorkelling from the platform cruise ships use for their Great Barrier Reef excursions (although we did this on a non-cruise holiday), and we went to Whitehaven Beach with Princess. We've since done a fair bit of snorkelling and really can't recommend the ship's tour - the coral you see is dead/bleached and fish weren't abundant. If you possibly can, you should go to Port Douglas before or after your cruise and do a private Outer Reef snorkel tour - the coral is unbelievably stunning in size, variety and colour and the fish abundant.

As regards Whitehaven Beach, I have mixed thoughts. Our excursion was on a beautiful blue sky, calm day. Bits were fantastic, the viewing platform you go to for a view of Whitehaven and the stunning colours of the water and sandbars, and Whitehaven Beach itself. The downsides were the very long high speed boat trip there and back - uncomfortably long - and the short amount of time at Whitehaven Beach itself. We went for a quick dip in the water, and it was quick as the water was freezing, ate the boxed lunch provided, and then it was time to leave for the journey back - even just another half hour would have made all the difference as there was no time to walk along the beach for a bit. So for the huge cost, I don't know if I would recommend it or not. Again, if it were at all possible to visit that part of Aus other than on a cruise ship tour, that would be preferable. I'm pleased to be able to say I've been there though, albeit very briefly!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jean C said:

We have done snorkelling from the platform cruise ships use for their Great Barrier Reef excursions (although we did this on a non-cruise holiday), and we went to Whitehaven Beach with Princess. We've since done a fair bit of snorkelling and really can't recommend the ship's tour - the coral you see is dead/bleached and fish weren't abundant. If you possibly can, you should go to Port Douglas before or after your cruise and do a private Outer Reef snorkel tour - the coral is unbelievably stunning in size, variety and colour and the fish abundant.

As regards Whitehaven Beach, I have mixed thoughts. Our excursion was on a beautiful blue sky, calm day. Bits were fantastic, the viewing platform you go to for a view of Whitehaven and the stunning colours of the water and sandbars, and Whitehaven Beach itself. The downsides were the very long high speed boat trip there and back - uncomfortably long - and the short amount of time at Whitehaven Beach itself. We went for a quick dip in the water, and it was quick as the water was freezing, ate the boxed lunch provided, and then it was time to leave for the journey back - even just another half hour would have made all the difference as there was no time to walk along the beach for a bit. So for the huge cost, I don't know if I would recommend it or not. Again, if it were at all possible to visit that part of Aus other than on a cruise ship tour, that would be preferable. I'm pleased to be able to say I've been there though, albeit very briefly!

I agree with your comments. I have holidayed at all three ports and there are better things to do in the limited time available in port.  From Airlie Beach I go to beautiful Gloucester Resort for a seafood lunch at the beach. I stop for a cold drink at Dingo Beach Hotel on the way back. There are water activities at Dingo Beach.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jean C said:

I’m pleased you responded as that is really useful to know.  
I have wondered if it’s worth waiting until we get the chance to actually fly into Cairns and spend a proper amount of time in the area, and your response makes me think it might be. 
In fact, if it weren’t for the risks of summer (stingers and storms), I would consider doing it this upcoming trip instead of a cruise.  I don’t mind wearing a stinger suit for one or two excursions, but not a whole week.  

Carnival does one day Port Douglas and one day Cairns.

P&O meanwhile does an overnight/2 days in Cairns but no Port Douglas.  
I did wonder if one option was better than the other? 

Know it very well, lived there for 15 years. Will be interesting to see how much it has changed over the years. At that time, no high rises, no cruise terminal, no scenic cable car ...............................